What's new

Good Pocket Flashlight

I've narrowed it down to 4.

Which one should I get?

Arc - AAA
NiteCore EX-10
Fenix L0D
Fenix P1D

I really like the piston button on the NiteCore. I like that the Arc is waterproof. But what distinguishes the Fenix's from one another?

Thanks!

I think you need to figure out if you want a light to put on your keychain or one for your pocket. The AAA lights can be thrown on a keychain or popped in your pocket while the Nitecore and P1D are a bit big for a keychain. I guess the other question is do you want the light to run on a CR123 or a AAA or AA. Nitecore makes a D-10 which runs off of a AA instead of a CR123.

Push button on/off is better IMHO than twist like some models from Surefire, Pelican etc. There are two big advantages to LED:

1.) The bulbs last longer
2.) They don't generate anywhere near the heat. I've seen Surefires that were accidentally left on or turned on melt the lens or even start a fire.

The ARC-P is buillt like a tank. It is a little bigger than a AAA battery. It is the definition of a keychain emergency light which is the whole point. You always have it with you for everyday use and emergencies. Otherwise, you might have a different flashlight for the purpose you need it for at the time. I bought my ARC-P and a Fenix L0P at the same time. The ARC is a much better built flashlight than the Fenix, but that is not the say the Fenix is a bad light. they are both AAA battery lights but I prefer the ARC and gave the Fenix to my wife who quite likes it and keeps it in her purse. Probably a better spot than on a keychain.

The ARC does all the things layed out on it's website:

Purpose: The Arc-AAA is designed to meet the qualifications of the "Every Day Carry - most convenient" class. To meet these goals, the light must:
  • Be small enough to be carried with minimum effort and thought. Ideally, it would attach to something else you already are in the habit of carrying. That way, it is more likely to be with you during an emergency.
  • Have sufficient runtime to last the length of typical emergencies with an additional amount added because we can assume the battery is not always fresh when you leave the house.
  • Use a common battery that can be found throughout the world and can also be scavenged from other equipment.
  • Be durable enough that it can be depended on over a wide type of emergencies including floods, fire, earthquake, etc. It should be at least as durable as the person carrying it.
------

It is not the brightest flashlight nor does it have modes, but it doesn't need that. It is just reliable, solid and will work for sure in practically any condition and run for a very long time.

You've gotten some good recommendations. Based on the recommendations given and your short list, I don't see how you could go wrong. How you could go right, is to pick up a couple so that you can do your own comparison. IMO, you can't have too many flashlights, and a backup is never a bad option either. Both of us carry multiple lights. A Photon/Innova style light is on all keyrings, plus we each have a pocket light and depending on our destination, I'll have a third on my person. That doesn't count for the multiple lights placed around the house and in the vehicles.

For specific recommendation on your shortlist, I don't have any of the lights mentioned, but have lights from each of the manufacturers mentioned.

I have 3 ARC flashlights. An LS (1xCR123), a AA (1xAA), and AAA (1xAAA). Each of these lights were from Peter Gransee's previous endeavour. Each of these lights have served me well for quite a while now (> 5 years). I have no doubt his new AAA is a quality product. This light is a good form factor for keyring carry.

I have a Fenix L2D (2xAA). I find this Fenix light to be a very good price to performance value. I would expect the L0D to also be a good value. Owned less than 1 year.

I have a NiteCore D20 (2xAA). This light is a tank. I like the Piston Drive system. As boboakalfb mentioned a AA powered light will be smaller in your pocket.

I know it isn't on your short list, but the Gerber Infinity light was mentioned early on in the thread. Gerber bought out CMG, and it is the CMG Infinity light the Wife carries. This also has been a solid light for a number of years.

Overall, I like the idea of the AA or AAA powered lights for keyring/pocket carry. I like them for their size and the wide spread availability of the batteries. I have several CR123 powered lights, and wouldn't get rid of any of them, but in an emergency when you're outside of a major metropolitan area the CR123 batteries might not be available OTC.

I think you need to figure out if you want a light to put on your keychain or one for your pocket. The AAA lights can be thrown on a keychain or popped in your pocket while the Nitecore and P1D are a bit big for a keychain. I guess the other question is do you want the light to run on a CR123 or a AAA or AA. Nitecore makes a D-10 which runs off of a AA instead of a CR123.

I'd prefer the light work with either a AA or a AAA battery. I am fine with putting it in my pocket, but I still want a small light. I'm leaning towards the NiteCore because I really like the switch much better than the Fenix.

It looks like the LD10 uses a switch on the tailcap and has multi modes for intensity, this addresses the issue with the LD01 that would keep me from replacing it.
I have not seen it though Tim

Miller Mods takes a standard ARC AAA and makes it a two stage light (two brightness levels), upgrades the LED and the reflector. They cost $130. That might seem high for those unfamiliar with quality flashlights, but is actually quite reasonable for what you get. I'm just not a fan of clickeys for pocket carry, either loose or on a key ring.

Well, I couldn't decide between the NiteCore D10 and the Fenix L1D. So I purchased both. Don't be surprised if once I make my final decision you see one of them pop up in the BST. :wink:

Thanks for the help and suggestions gents! I love B&B, you can find quality information on anything.

Last edited:
One last question: Are there any good lights small enough to take a AAA and be carried on a keychain that use a push-button switch?

Most that I've seen in AAA that feature push button activation are pen light size, at least those that are worth a darn.

It looks like the LD10 uses a switch on the tailcap and has multi modes for intensity, this addresses the issue with the LD01 that would keep me from replacing it.
I have not seen it though Tim

Does anyone have any experience with the Fenix LD10? It seems to my very green flashlight eyes to be an update to the Fenix L1D.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'll confess that once, deep in the throes of multiple addictions, I cut an onion by flashlight in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever.

Well, I couldn't decide between the NiteCore D10 and the Fenix L1D. So I purchased both. Don't be surprised if once I make my final decision you see one of them pop up in the BST. :wink:

Thanks for the help and suggestions gents! I love B&B, you can find quality information on anything.

Agreed but sometimes it's not good for the wallet. It was Jay who got me hooked on flash lights, somehow managed to look into the abyss but not fall into it, i guess i saw the light. :lol: BTW Tim, good choice on the lights you picked up.

Top Bottom