What's new

Navy Processing advice?

Hey guys. hoping this is the right forum for this. I've been talking over the phone and in person with a Navy recruiter for about three days now. Talked about what the navy is, looked over MOS and things like that. I have to take the ASVAB again but other than that I'm beginning to enter the point of no return. I know there's a lot of vets and active duty here, so I thought I'd come here to ask what your experience was like, processing, at Basic, and getting started. just hoping to get some perspective on what I'm potentially throwing myself into. anything helps. thanks guys!

Navy don't have MOS's, it has NEC, and RATES like HM, BT, DT, AO, etc. Navy dolt have basic it call Boot Camp, and kit is not like summer Camp as Coujncler are NCO's with Fangs & Tempers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey guys. hoping this is the right forum for this. I've been talking over the phone and in person with a Navy recruiter for about three days now. Talked about what the navy is, looked over MOS and things like that. I have to take the ASVAB again but other than that I'm beginning to enter the point of no return. I know there's a lot of vets and active duty here, so I thought I'd come here to ask what your experience was like, processing, at Basic, and getting started. just hoping to get some perspective on what I'm potentially throwing myself into. anything helps. thanks guys!
My Navy boot camp experience wouldn't help you as it was 50 years ago, and I'm dead certain it has changed, but I will tell you this:
It's not hard to excel in the military. All you have to do is what you're supposed to do. There are enough knuckleheads that don't, that if you do, you'll be a golden boy.
Be prepared for a lot of degrading manual labor at first.
Take everything with good grace and cheerfully do what you're told to do.
Boot camp is designed to weed out those who have a problem with authority.
Initially, there are a LOT of what seem to be stupid or counter productive orders.
Doesn't matter. Just do as instructed, and soon enough you'll find attention shifting off of you, and onto others who don't get with the program.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Also - don't take a bunch of stuff to boot camp, it'll all just get packaged up and shipped home anyway. Be prepared for a couple of months of shaving with a cart razor and canned goo.

I had a hellish Army boot camp at North Ft Polk in 1969, with a 25% desertion rate, but even my sorry you-know-what survived it. I agree with luvmysuper's advice. Keep a positive attitude, put up with the BS of basic training, and do your best. After x weeks of basic, you're onto job training and a career. It may even be possible to change your MOS after basic, especially if those over you think you're qualified.

My dad was a Seabee during WW2. I wanted to join the Navy after high school, but my mom guilt-tripped me into college. When I was working child welfare in the 70s, I often recommended the Navy to older teens I supervised, expecially those that had no job opportunites to look forward to.

All branches boot are basically the same as far as how to be successful … do what you’re told and check your attitude. Do that and you will do well. Some branches are physically harder, but all can be passed successfully by even a less than average individual doing those two things. As far as the job, MOS in the Army, I recommend looking for something that has a civilian counterpart. Even if you do 20+ in the Navy, you will likely enter the civilian workforce at some point in life. I started off with mortars. Not much work in the civilian world. Eventually went to Signal, and have a successful civilian job after retirement from the Army National Guard, with only a short time in Active Duty. I gained a lot of good training in IT through the military and made good use of my earned educational benefits.

My Navy boot camp experience wouldn't help you as it was 50 years ago, and I'm dead certain it has changed, but I will tell you this:
It's not hard to excel in the military. All you have to do is what you're supposed to do. There are enough knuckleheads that don't, that if you do, you'll be a golden boy.
Be prepared for a lot of degrading manual labor at first.
Take everything with good grace and cheerfully do what you're told to do.
Boot camp is designed to weed out those who have a problem with authority.
Initially, there are a LOT of what seem to be stupid or counter productive orders.
Doesn't matter. Just do as instructed, and soon enough you'll find attention shifting off of you, and onto others who don't get with the program.

Great advice, some people find home, career in Military, like my grandfather who was first in USCG, then Navy, spend 35 +years of his life in military.

Also - don't take a bunch of stuff to boot camp, it'll all just get packaged up and shipped home anyway. Be prepared for a couple of months of shaving with a cart razor and canned goo.
Second this. Do NOT take a DE razor and blades with you for BASIC. The NCOs will take a dim view of loose, "dangerous" razor blades, even though you'd be quite the attention-getter in the latrine each morning shaving with exotic gear like that.

BASIC is not the place to get attention! And you'll have neither the time or the need for a luxurious 3 pass shave anyway.

All branches boot are basically the same as far as how to be successful … do what you’re told and check your attitude. Do that and you will do well. Some branches are physically harder, but all can be passed successfully by even a less than average individual doing those two things. As far as the job, MOS in the Army, I recommend looking for something that has a civilian counterpart. Even if you do 20+ in the Navy, you will likely enter the civilian workforce at some point in life. I started off with mortars. Not much work in the civilian world. Eventually went to Signal, and have a successful civilian job after retirement from the Army National Guard, with only a short time in Active Duty. I gained a lot of good training in IT through the military and made good use of my earned educational benefits.
Also, perhaps consider a a Naval Construction Battalion. Let the Navy teach you how to operate bulldozers and horizontal excavators, pour concrete, build roads, construction carpentry. Perhaps an electrician.

The Trades. I was Field Artillery in the Army, but ended up as a platoon leader for Combat Engineers in Iraq. Engineering is something you can take with you anywhere.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Also, perhaps consider a a Naval Construction Battalion. Let the Navy teach you how to operate bulldozers and horizontal excavators, pour concrete, build roads, construction carpentry. Perhaps an electrician.

The Trades. I was Field Artillery in the Army, but ended up as a platoon leader for Combat Engineers in Iraq. Engineering is something you can take with you anywhere.
I’ll second this! Was in the Seabees for 20 years and had a blast! Learned to be a surveyor and draftsman. Currently working as a GS at the local Air Force base. The NMCBs is a very rewarding career path and I’d recommend it to anyone willing to learn a trade.

Good luck. Do well on the ASVAB so that you have your choice of NEC/Rates. If you need to brush up on any subject check online. It’s not a bad idea if you’ve been out of school for a bit.

Processing into any branch of the Military is easy, just follow the instructions, they’ll be given with a loud voice and a sense of urgency. Your just doing paperwork and medical.

Basic training/Boot Camp is different for every branch but the key ingredients are all the same: physical fitness, following orders, and getting rid of chuckleheads.

The purpose of Vadic Training is to instill instant willing obedience to all orders. Know that going in and you’ll do great. Some basic training orders will seem absurd. Read two sentences up and just do it. Everything has its purpose even if it’s not clear at the time.

I second the recommendation to look at career fields that have civilian career equivalents. The Seabees (Combat Engineering Battalion)are cool. I love them every time I worked with them.

Wishing you the best.

Semper Fidelis,
Tim

Well based on my 1970's Army adventure (and advise given to me by my Navy dad) I suggest during your initial training; Keep your mouth shut (low profile), don't ask for and/or borrow any money and finally don't volunteer for anything (your number will come up enough on its own). Also remember millions of other guys have been through it so you can muddle through like the rest. Its only for 8 or so weeks and then it gets better. Thanks, good luck and be safe....

Last edited:
Well based on my 1970's Army adventure (and advise given to me by my Navy dad) I suggest during your initial training; Keep your mouth shut (low profile), don't ask for and/or borrow any money and finally don't volunteer for anything (your number will come up enough on its own). Also remember millions of other guys have been through it so you can muddle through like the rest. Its only for 8 or so weeks and then it gets better. Thanks, good luck and be safe....
Well my Boot Camp experience lasted 13 week in 65, at MCRDRDSD.

Marines hate to be reminded they are Under Department of Navy, also the Marine Corp could not exist with out Navel support of Doctors, Nurse, Corpsmen, Dentists, Chaplains all supplied by USN

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Marines hate to be reminded they are Under Department of Navy, also the Marine Corp could not exist with out Navel support of Doctors, Nurse, Corpsmen, Dentists, Chaplains all supplied by USN
We all work together brother!
No single branch stands alone.
We do have that inter-service teasing, but it isn't intended as insults, but banter in the family.

Top Bottom