What's new

Going Back To Carts For Good!

Can I have your DE and SEs?

NO!! give them to me. ;)
you gotta do what you gotta do man. do what works best for you.

i used a gem micromatic tonight and carved the crop out of my neck! weird too cuz i usually never cut/weep/bleed or what ever you guys call it.
i need to pay more attention when i put in new blades. when i str8 shave its all good.

There are many paths to the clearing.

proxy.php

Not all paths are equal.

I actually have a sensor excel on the way! My local walmart had the carts but not the handle. They are half the price of the Pro Glides so I hope they work fairly well and I will use those!

Dude, every BX and Commissary I've been to stocks the Sensor Excel razors. They also sell all the cartridges cheaper than Wal Mart, at least here anyways. Good luck!

I've always found that carts give great shaves in terms of end result. I still, to this day, get a closer shave on my neck when I use a cart. But the issue for me has always been comfort and blade longevity. I haven't tried the Proglide but all the Fusion did was pull. And the refills never lasted more than 3 or 4 shaves. Yes, DE shaving takes longer and is less safe, but it works for me.

If carts work for you, more power to you. :) This place is all about getting a good shave no matter what you use.

Technique and product are much more important than whatever blade you decide to use, don't feel you need to apologize for whatever you decide to do use!

If you parting ways with a slantbar, please let me know! Are you still using creams/soaps/brushes? Or Chaving and can goo reformation?

Do you still brush lather and stuff? I think that is the part I really like personally. I mean I am gonna stick to my straights and DE's cause I get a shave that doesn't irritate my face, but lathering up really is the pampering part. Enjoy your shaves with whatever you use :) .

I've never had a problem with getting as close a shave with a DE as with a cartridge.

But, your being able to get a faster shave with a cartridge goes for most shavers, I think.

The faster shave is the whole idea behind multi-blade razors. More blades equal less passes.

I'm never in that big of a hurry, but I understand your point.

Good luck and you may change your mind after awhile.

I used a Gillette Sensor for years, it's great. Only when the cartridges started getting harder to find and all these other "improved" cart systems came out did I search out an alternative.

Hey man if the Pro-Glide works for you than by all means keep using it. You tried many other razors, so you know what works for you and what doesn't.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I've always said that good lather and technique gets you 80% of the way to the destination in this game. The razor and blade is only the last 20%, and if the carts work fine for you, that's perfectly OK. I still think your wife is barking up the wrong tree about the brushes not being clean and giving you a problem. Just can't see it. I shaved for years in the shower with a Fusion and Williams in a mug (gasp!) doing a couple light passes with a little touch up. It works just fine. I know I'm an apostate, but feel good about it. For me my neck feels better with the DE than the cart, but in this business there are no absolutes!

But I hope you'll stick with some good creams and soaps and the brush. A properly maintained brush is not going to grow any nasties in it. My shave improved a TON years ago when I shifted to the brush and soap from the canned goo. And went to multiple light passes. Although I am having more fun shaving now and getting a slightly closer, more comfortable shave with a DE, I must say the final move to DE did not rock my world the way discovering QCS cream or RazoRock just did.

Anyway, since we all recognize how much of a YMMV this process is, I can't figure out why it has to be held as an absolute that the DE/SE will always give everyone a better shave. Probably true in a majority of cases, but I'm sure there are beards and necks out there where for whatever reason, that just insn't the case.

Like so many others have said, this site is about finding the shave that works for you. Glad you found something that worked! (BTW, did you ever try straights?). When I peddle this stuff to my friends, my #1 suggestion is that, if nothing else, they buy a brush and quality soap or cream. That alone will greatly improve their shave, IMO. Seems like you might agree with that!

I'm a cart user as well so no, you're not alone. I'll still use my DE from time to time but I find that day in and day out the carts give me the best shave. I think you'll like the Sensor. It works great for me and it sounds like I have a similar beard type to you.

I just got my Merkur MII handle last night and had my first shave with it this morning loaded with the Merkur cart it came with. I have a nice smooth shave in just two passes. I'm going to try the Sensor adaptor for it soon, maybe tomorrow. I hope the Sensor works out for you.

If you're going to use a cart, at least get yourself a swanky handle!
There's some really nice ones out there.
I bought my brother a TOBS Mach 3 handle. It's very nice.

@AirForceMX - Thank you for your service to our country, and for doing your part to ensure that we are free to shave as we wish!

I found that proper prep, lather, and technique made the greatest improvement on the health of my facial skin and closeness of my shave. For me, the vintage razor became the icing on the cake, so to speak, and gave me a personal victory over the overpriced product and marketing hype that is modern shaving.

You may find a time in your life later on where you may yet enjoy DE/SE or even straight razor use. In the meantime, take your time and make the otherwise burdensome chore a pleasure, enjoying both the process and result!

Lets get one thing straight. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to shave with a DE or SE. I am not asking for advice because I have already done that. I have experimented a GREAT deal with all kinds of blades and razors both DE and SE in my year long shaving journey. Bottom line is this DE or SE takes me at least four passes to get a close enough shave to pass for a whole day at work. Pro Glide takes me two! I have a really dense and tough beard so I'm pretty sure thats a big factor. Without any more boring details I have concluded its just not for me. I save time, my skin feels better, and I actually like shaving again. Just to re-iterate I would love to save money and DE/SE shave, but It just doesn't work for me, and the main factor is that the shave just isn't as close or comfortable as a Cartridge. I have to say I am not that disappointed either. I will still enjoy my soaps and creams and browsing around the forum as the Lone Cart User haha. Are there others out there like me?

Wrong angle. If you can get a closer shave with a cartridge containing blades that won't actually touch (or barely touch, at that) your skin then it's down to technique rather than tools. But 'tis your choice, sir!

Top Bottom