What's new

Gillette Wilkinson Sword

To distinguish the Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword from the Indian one simply look at the different type of package, the Indian ones generally have the writing "Saloon Pack".

Screenshot 2024-03-08 142303.png

Screenshot 2024-03-08 142329.png

I was surprised how good these blades are after I got a tuck with a razor I purchased a while back. Very smooth and sharp enough to get a decent shave. I ordered 100 from Maggards a while back and I believe they are made in China (the Indian saloon ones are not nearly as nice). I get a week out of them flipping them after every shave.

Back in 1960's they were great blades, use to do commercial on TV all the time touting their product. Apparently the quality has continued.

From my information read on other shaving forums, the Indian Wilkinson Sword was purchased by Gillette several years ago.
I couldn't figure out the year.
In fact from your photos on the label even if it is Wilkinson Sword it says Gillette India Ltd. which should be the owner of the Indian Wilkinson Sword brand, this is what I had read in another shaving forum.
I don't know if this is actually the case.
Perhaps there are still some blades made by Gillette and named Wilkinson Sword for the Brazilian and Australian markets.
The Wilkinson Swords in the last photo should be the Chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Swords from the packaging.

Gillette owns the rights to the Wilkinson Sword brand name in many countries, including Australia and Brazil, and has owned the rights in India since at least 1962.

Yes, the picture of the Indian Wilkinson Sword in the last photo was made by Gillette, in India. Chinese made Gillette Wilkinsons did not come along til later. I believe member Ivan has stated that the Chinese Wilkinsons are no longer in production.

Indeed there are still some blades made by Gillette and named Wilkinson Sword for the Brazilian and Australian market, as in the pictures I posted.

Are Gillette Wilkinson Chinese blades currently no longer produced?
If this were the case, I hope to continue to find at least the Indian ones, I can't wait for the sample of these blades to arrive so I can try them out.

I tried them today for the first time on EJ 316,my first impression: mediocre razor blades!
In my experience the razor blade cut poorly and struggled hopping on the skin despite good preparation.
Rough and not very sharp, maybe I mismatched the razor.

Second shave with Gillette Wilkinson Sword on Fatip Gentile razor, my prerasatura was Prep cream and I Coloniali mango oil shaving soap , I can definitely say that shave at least was acceptable.
Blade glided smoothly across face and cut everything leaving no residue, no sign of irritation or red point.
I cannot explain why on the EJ 316 this blade did not work.

Second shave with Gillette Wilkinson Sword on Fatip Gentile razor, my prerasatura was Prep cream and I Coloniali mango oil shaving soap , I can definitely say that shave at least was acceptable.
Blade glided smoothly across face and cut everything leaving no residue, no sign of irritation or red point.
I cannot explain why on the EJ 316 this blade did not work.

For me it's a middle range of sharpness, so I like it best paired with a razor that will enhance cutting ability. I don't have a Gentile, but I do have the Fatip Grande and the GWS works great in it for me.

What are the differences if any between regular Indian GWS and the Saloon Pack?

Same blade different packaging and number of blades inside?

So even though they are the same razor blade the Saloon Pack should be a barbershop and salon pack.

@Life Is A Dream Are the GWS razor blade in the Saloon Pack found more in India?
The address mentioned in the saloon pack is different from the non-saloon one but i don't think the address of the saloon pack refers to the factory address.

1000003304.jpg

In India, at least in my state, the saloon pack version is far more common. I don't know if that is the case in all states in India.

Top Bottom