What's new

Gillette Wilkinson Sword

This morning I tried a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade that was part of a PIF, thank you @Tokyospike.
Today’s shave was using a maggard razor MR11 with an aggressive head (V3A) and Soap Commander Fortitude.
After two passes, WTG and AG, I felt I got a really good shave. Did not even need a touch up. Either tonight or tomorrow morning, I’ll shave my head using the same blade and see how it performs. Shaving my head usually is a better judge of the blade.
The blade was sharp and smooth and I had a really good shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaved my head with the Wilkinson Sword this morning and it was a good shave. It was sharp, smooth and in 2 passes I got an almost BBS. I was in a hurry but still a good shave. Missed a few spots but it’s more me trying to get my technique down.
As far as for beard shaving, did not feel it was sharp. Had 2 passes but the shave was not close. Went WTG first pass and ATG second pass, will use it again tomorrow morning and reevaluate.
I’m curious to see how many shaves I can get out of that blade.

I should add that after my head shave with the Gillette Wilkinson, there was no visible irritation or razor burns.
So far, I used voshkod and personna lab blue when shaving my head and the Wilkinson was the best shave so far.

This morning, I had my 4th face shave with this blade and still getting a good shave. No irritation and no redness. It actually felt quite smooth.
This evening, I had my second head shave with the blade, starting to feel it’s struggling a bit to cut through the hair but still got a good shave with no irritation.
So far, total of 6 shaves (2 head shaves and 4 face shaves). Tomorrow morning will attempt my 5th face shave.

I really like the Gillette WS, I get better results with it than using the German WS, and find the GWS I find to be sharper and smoother than it's German counterpart.

I was able to coax out 11 shaves out of one, 3 passes each time with great results.

The gillette India Wilkinsons are made in China since last few years, and they have been super smooth since that transition of manufacture to the Gillette machines in China. They are a wonderful and cheap blade for smooth shaves. Earlier Gillette also had the Wilkinson Chromium coated blades till about 5 years ago. I am lucky to have around 500 plus of them, they are much smoother than the current lot of Wilkinson Swords !

Each time I read a post like this, I call up the Gillette distributor locally where I stay and order a 100 more blades for keeps :D

These blades are also still made in India. China ones are just easier to get your hands on. Recently got a 100 pack from a reseller online. Chinese made are equally good!

You're referring to the Saloon version made in India which is for one time use and not as smooth as the retail version which is made only in China past two years.

I get six facial shaves out of WSB, the German version in the black plastic container. Some time back, I used the WSB in the white plastic tuck, and hated them. Some of that may have been technique, and some may have been that they were of Indian manufacture (I was told). Tomorrow will be shave #6 on my last German WSB, and I'm considering buying them in bulk. YMMV.

Not sure origin country of those blades but they’ve been really good so far. Got them as part of a PIF from @Tokyospike.
As of now, had 5 face shaves and 2 head shaves and been good.

Trying to decide whether I should keep going with these blades to see how many more shaves I can get out of them or switch to different blades.

For those who used these blades in the past, how many shaves were you able to get out of them? I know it’s a YMMV questions but just wanted to get a general idea.

I only took the German Wilkie to six shaves . . . but based on similar experiences, I was pretty sure I could take it to 12 if I made it my regular blade. I was very fond of them.

Not sure origin country of those blades but they’ve been really good so far. Got them as part of a PIF from @Tokyospike.
As of now, had 5 face shaves and 2 head shaves and been good.

Trying to decide whether I should keep going with these blades to see how many more shaves I can get out of them or switch to different blades.

For those who used these blades in the past, how many shaves were you able to get out of them? I know it’s a YMMV questions but just wanted to get a general idea.
I get about 5 to six two pass face shaves before I need to change. Not tried it on the head. I use a mild to medium razor.

I might move on to the next new blade even though I really enjoyed the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, might end up getting a 100 soon.
Just did the math, and it’s about $0.18 per shave (for blade and soap)

I have another thread measuring the weight of soap per gram for every shave using Soap Commander. After few days, I’m averaging 2 grams for every face shave (not a scientific experiment, just my own usage).

Cost per gram for soap is $0.17, and based on 100 blade (what I saw on the bay) comes out to roughly $0.08 per blade. Since I used the blade 6 shaves, it’s $0.013 per shave for blades.

Final cost per shave of $0.18.

Cost per gram for soap is $0.17, and based on 100 blade (what I saw on the bay) comes out to roughly $0.08 per blade. Since I used the blade 6 shaves, it’s $0.013 per shave for blades.
Final cost per shave of $0.18.

So your soap costs you 13 times more than your blade, or over one order of magnitude.
Since the cost of the blade is insignificant compared to the total cost of shave, it makes no sense to stretch out the number of shaves per blade.
I discard Indian Wilkies after the 4th shave.

Last edited:
I much prefer India Wilkies over German Wilkies. It seems most members prefer the opposite.
I bought 200 from Amazon Canada in 2017 and all were 2015 production, packaged in 2017, made in India.

I much prefer India Wilkies over German Wilkies. It seems most members prefer the opposite.
I bought 200 from Amazon Canada in 2017 and all were 2015 production, packaged in 2017, made in India.

I have 100 Indian Wilkies on the way.. looking forward to comparing them to Astra SP.

Top Bottom