What's new

Gillette Wilkinson Sword

I was surprised how good these blades are after I got a tuck with a razor I purchased a while back. Very smooth and sharp enough to get a decent shave. I ordered 100 from Maggards a while back and I believe they are made in China (the Indian saloon ones are not nearly as nice). I get a week out of them flipping them after every shave.

When I buy them in the near future, still have to go through my current blades, I’ll pay close attention to which ones are made in India or China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the way from India..

wilkies.JPG

I bought some last year, eventually I'll get around to trying them. Sadly, at four or five blades a year, it may be a while......

Interesting thread! I have only used the German Wilkies (very nice blades for me), so I may need to put these on my 'to try' list for when I finish the 2018 sabbatical!

The gillette India Wilkinsons are made in China since last few years, and they have been super smooth since that transition of manufacture to the Gillette machines in China. They are a wonderful and cheap blade for smooth shaves. Earlier Gillette also had the Wilkinson Chromium coated blades till about 5 years ago. I am lucky to have around 500 plus of them, they are much smoother than the current lot of Wilkinson Swords !

Each time I read a post like this, I call up the Gillette distributor locally where I stay and order a 100 more blades for keeps :D
I found these Gillette Wilkinson Sword razor blades in a local Chinese store but I didn't buy them, I didn't even ask if they are the type of razor blades made in China or India.
I have to check but I think they are the blades produced in the Gillette factories in China, I will ask the Chinese shopkeeper for confirmation.
Can anyone who has been able to try both and compare them say whether those made in China or those made in India are better?

Yes sir, there are two types of Gillette Wilkinson Sword those manufactured in India and those manufactured in China.
Currently those present on the Razorbladesclub store are the blades manufactured in the Gillette factories in China.
They generally say that both blades shave very well and that with Gillette Wilkinson Sword they provide excellent shaves.
I have to buy them and try them.

The Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword may be a good mild blade. Most reviews I have read are good - the people who complain about this blade mention they have coarse, thick facial hair. You see this over and over with the reason why people do not find a blade to their taste.

To me it is rather odd, because you would think razor blades meant for the Indian market should be well qualified to deal with heavy hair growth.

The Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword may be a good mild blade. Most reviews I have read are good - the people who complain about this blade mention they have coarse, thick facial hair. You see this over and over with the reason why people do not find a blade to their taste.

To me it is rather odd, because you would think razor blades meant for the Indian market should be well qualified to deal with heavy hair growth.

I have family in the Indian subcontinent and I made there in 2019 to see some of them. I had a few trips to the barbershop (a few shaves and a haircut) and the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword seemed to be the defacto blade for barbershops. (btw this was just for my little pocket of the country I went too, I'm sure things are different elsewhere)

It's snapped in two and used in a shavette either for shaves but also for trimming the backs and sides. Used once and then thrown away. In a shavette, even a mild blade will be sharp enough to take away a week's worth of growth.

If you went to a consumer shop (eg little mart type retailers that sell a bit of everything) the two blades they had for consumers back then were the Chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword (which is quite a bit sharper than the Indian one) and the 7 Black Ninja. I guess those were intended to be used in DE razors. I didn't see the Indian made one for sale in consumer retailers, only in the shop that sold supplies to barbers.

Back to the Indian GWS, the fact that it has 'saloon' on the packaging generally means the blade is intended for barbers not for consumers.

When I was out there, I noticed a lot of people have shaves at their local barbershop. A disposable razor seems to cost about the same as a barbershop (back in 2019, like elsewhere inflation has reached there too). For a lot of guys (ones who don't have to be clean shaven every day) they'd shave once a week or every fortnight as a trip to the barbershop.

I went to the local barber in the little suburb I was staying in, and I remember seeing a pile of Indian GWS wrappers in the bin. I imagine he went through colossal amounts of blades in a day/week/year.

Yes sir, there are two types of Gillette Wilkinson Sword those manufactured in India and those manufactured in China.
Currently those present on the Razorbladesclub store are the blades manufactured in the Gillette factories in China.
They generally say that both blades shave very well and that with Gillette Wilkinson Sword they provide excellent shaves.
I have to buy them and try them.

Gillette also make Wilkinson Sword blades in Brazil:
1709806696419.png

And a version made in India, distributed in Australia:
1709806582929.png

I'm sorry there must be a misunderstanding.
The blades discussed in this topic are the Gillette Wilkinson Sword which are different from the Wilkinson Sword blades.
Gillette Wilkinson Swords are a Gillette proprietary brand, Wilkinson Swords are from Wilkinson.
This is strange but it's exactly like that.
Sometimes it can get a little confusing.
Those of you on the forum who are more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong.

@Jopo Those Wilkinson Swords in your photo I don't think are made by Gillette.

Last edited:
I found these Gillette Wilkinson Sword razor blades in a local Chinese store but I didn't buy them, I didn't even ask if they are the type of razor blades made in China or India.
I have to check but I think they are the blades produced in the Gillette factories in China, I will ask the Chinese shopkeeper for confirmation.
Can anyone who has been able to try both and compare them say whether those made in China or those made in India are better?
I'm not sure I can tell the difference between them. Both deliver good shaves to me. At one time I thought the Chinese made ones were a notch sharper, but it wasn't by a large amount if so.

I made up my mind and purchased 50 Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades on Amazon. There is also a box of 100 blades of the Chinese ones while on the Razorbladesclub website there are now both.

I'm sorry there must be a misunderstanding.
The blades discussed in this topic are the Gillette Wilkinson Sword which are different from the Wilkinson Sword blades.
Gillette Wilkinson Swords are a Gillette proprietary brand, Wilkinson Swords are from Wilkinson.
This is strange but it's exactly like that.
Sometimes it can get a little confusing.
Those of you on the forum who are more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong.

@Jopo Those Wilkinson Swords in your photo I don't think are made by Gillette.

The Wilkinson Swords in the photos are both indeed made by Gillette

Made in Brazil:
1709900237046.png

Made in India for Australian distribution:
1709899902621.png

The Wilkinson Swords sold India weren't co-branded until some time in early/mid 2010's I believe, they used to only bear the Wilkinson Sword logo too:
1709900692375.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom