What's new

Gillette Fat Boy and Slim: Compare and Contrast

I've been using a 1959 Fat Boy (E2) exclusively for quite some time. Recently however, I acquired a 1966 Slim (L1) that was part of a package of stuff. So I decided to do a "compare and contrast" by using them on alternating days.

For the comparison, I only used a single type of blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Green, which is my go to blade. I used my typical rotation of creams (in no particular order): TOBS Sandalwood, TOBS Eton College, T&H 1805, T&H Limes, and Trumper's Limes. For all shaves, I did my usual pre-shave routine, which was to apply Noxema to my face after getting out of the shower and washing it off before applying the lather. Lastly, both razors were set on the setting I have always used with my Fat Boy, which is "7".

Comparison of the razors, which you can see in the photos below:
  • While the Fat Boy has a larger diameter handle than the Slim (Duh!), the Slim is slightly longer.
  • The Fat Boy weighs more than the Slim (another Duh!). I did not weigh them to get specifics.
  • The thickness of the Fat Boy head is larger than the Slim.
  • The width of the Fat Boy head is just a touch more than the Slim.
The results of the shaves were astonishing. They were the same! :001_302:
Using my normal "ride the cap" technique, I got equally close shaves from both razors. The difference in the head sizes between the two razors didn't affect my technique at all, and I never really notices any difference of how the heads felt on my face.

I did find that I preferred the heft and diameter of the Fat Boy, but I preferred the additional length of the Slim. It would have been ideal if Gillette had made an adjustable that had the diameter and weight of the Fat Boy, but the length of the Slim.

Next up this week is to use them both with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades that also came in the package deal with the Slim. I didn't like Wilkinsons before they became part of Gillette, but perhaps they've been improved. I hope not, because I have almost 200 of the 7 O'clock Greens, so I don't want to encounter a blade I like better just yet.

I agree with your results 100%. I get equal shaves from both of these razors as well. I like the feel of the fatboy in my hand a lot more though.

Great review! Your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine. Although I use both of mine wide open, and I like the shorter, Fatty, handle better. But, I fell they're so close to the same razor, when in use I could almost forget which one I'm using.

Excellent review. I really like my Fatboy, but wondered about the Slim. I will continue to use the Fatboy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree with your results 100%. I get equal shaves from both of these razors as well. I like the feel of the fatboy in my hand a lot more though.

This has been my experience as well. I prefer a shorter handle than the Slim, so it wound up in Auction a couple of years back. Good review. :thumbup1:

Great review. I fully agree with your findings, but I think that the Slim wins for me because it has better balance overall. What's your opinion on that?

Great review. I fully agree with your findings, but I think that the Slim wins for me because it has better balance overall. What's your opinion on that?

While I'll continue to use them both interchangeably, I prefer the Fat Boy due to the weight and diameter of the handle. The only thing the Slim has going for it for me is the longer handle, which I like.

Loved my Slim for many years since I first it bought it 1962, also liked the Super Adjustable (Black Beauty), but when my brother give me my Dads Fatboy, I enjoyed shaving with it better. I now tend to like the Fatboy more than the Slim mostly due to it's fatter handle. Same great shave.

The Gillette Slim and the Gillette Fat Boy are outstanding adjustable razors. Both are "keepers."

I find the Slim to be slightly less aggressive (on the same setting for comparison) and slightly more maneuverable than the Fat Boy, as I drive around my face.

I have coarse whiskers, and I use a setting of 5 on the Fat Boy and a setting of 6 on the Slim. The shaving results are similar, close and comfortable. If I were forced to choose one over the other it would be a tough call, but probably I would go with the Gillette Slim, as it feels slightly more user friendly in my hand.

Oddly reverse of actual blade gap and exposure. A slim of 5 equals a FB on 6, at least on paper, and to my experience. And a SA should yield the same results on 4! - Gaps were increased with each model, by .003 or one setting.

I have found out that some blades are awsome in the slim and some are awsome in the fat boy. One of my favorite shaves is a Bolzano in a slim, but put that same blade in a fatboy and its totally different. The fatboy has a bit of a more aggressive blade angle then the slim, the side profile pic gives it away when you compare the crown of the doors which effects the curvature of the blade.

IMG_4940.JPG
I used to use my adjustables at 8 and 9. Now I have learned that on 5 and 6 they do great. I love all three but the fatboy still edges the other 2 out. It is just better in my hands.

I enjoy shaving with both, however the Slim gives me a smoother shave each time.
Would have liked to be the opposite. I love the balance and looks of the Fatboy, but the shaves it gives me ... not as much.

First shave with a fatboy this morning and it was great. This is making me think there may be a problem with my slim as it was the first razor I got in the wild. The slim makes my face feel raw after shaving on the couple of times I had tried it. But from what everyone else is saying they should not be polar opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First shave with a fatboy this morning and it was great. This is making me think there may be a problem with my slim as it was the first razor I got in the wild. The slim makes my face feel raw after shaving on the couple of times I had tried it. But from what everyone else is saying they should not be polar opposite.

Are you locking the Slim down all the way? The first time I used the Fat Boy I didn't realize that there was an extra quarter-turn that locked the doors down. After the first half of the shave, the blade started scrapping away at my skin like I was using a Bowie Knife to shave. It's because the mechanism was coming loose because I hadn't done that final quarter-turn. The Slim has it too, but on mine it's much harder to turn than on the FB.

Are you locking the Slim down all the way? The first time I used the Fat Boy I didn't realize that there was an extra quarter-turn that locked the doors down. After the first half of the shave, the blade started scrapping away at my skin like I was using a Bowie Knife to shave. It's because the mechanism was coming loose because I hadn't done that final quarter-turn. The Slim has it too, but on mine it's much harder to turn than on the FB.

I am turning it the extra turn. I'll have to take a closer look at the head to make sure nothing is damaged, or maybe the slim just isn't the razor for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom