What's new

Getting Married, Need Some Help

I was married in Cozumel Mexico on the beach in June wearing a black wool suit, silk vest, long sleeve banded collar shirt, black Justin boots and a black felt hat! It wasn't too bad that day I think it was only around 99 degrees. Do what makes you happy because from that day forward its all downhill! :lol:

We're being completely serious here - black suits in tropical situations are a bad idea. Is it absolutely too late to change that?
Your groomsmen are going to be miserable and probably ruin their suits (and your photos) with the sweat pouring off them.
At least give them the option to change immediately after the ceremony.....

im inclined to agree with checking local custom and going with white linen.
im sweating just reading this thread!!!!

I think it all depends on the location. You said it was a garden on an island.

If it's on the beach, or adjacent to the beach, get some linen or a grey or khaki suit.

If it's inland, you might be able to get away with black suits. It regularly hits 95F+ in the summer here and that's all you see is black tuxes. I was married at 2pm on hot July Saturday in a black tux. The ceremony was inside but the following 2 hours of pictures were outside in various parks. You can do it, but it's tough.

Thank for all the advice gents, there's some real mixed opinions in there!

The wedding is on an island, but it is being held in a garden, so I'm not too worried about looking silly in a suit on a beach as I wont be going there on the day (I've got 2 weeks of scuba diving booked after that no one knows about though....:whistling:)

As for the heat, well I'm from a country where we wear suits in Summer in 40+ temps (I think thats like 105 Fahrenheit or something). The wedding will be indoors in the afternoon/evening and its all air-conditioned so I'm not too fussed with that.

I may reconsider the Navy suit though. I love navy, but will grey suit better in this instance?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And no socks! Only British tourists wear socks at the beach.
The Germans ... don't forget the Germans ...
3PM..... too early for a tux, perhaps embrace the tropical theme and wear a Guayabera Shirt or linen suit, traditionally before 6pm a morning suit or cutaway is worn.
I've always gone with a "6pm" understanding on when to wear a tux, with the exception that if the event starts before 6pm and continues into the evening without a chance to get changed, then tux in the afternoon is fine.

(So if the wedding is at 3pm and from 3pm to 6pm you are running around like a chicken with his head cut off with photos and what-not, and the reception starts at 6pm, you are fine ... but if you have an hour of down-time in late afternoon, that's when you change into your tux.)
Thank for all the advice gents, there's some real mixed opinions in there!

The wedding is on an island, but it is being held in a garden, so I'm not too worried about looking silly in a suit on a beach as I wont be going there on the day (I've got 2 weeks of scuba diving booked after that no one knows about though....:whistling:)

As for the heat, well I'm from a country where we wear suits in Summer in 40+ temps (I think thats like 105 Fahrenheit or something). The wedding will be indoors in the afternoon/evening and its all air-conditioned so I'm not too fussed with that.

I may reconsider the Navy suit though. I love navy, but will grey suit better in this instance?

You seem unfased by the prospect of wearing a black suit in the tropics ... make sure your groomsmen feel the same. :001_rolle If they are all from Wisconsin, they may not share your "piece of cake" approach.

You seem unfased by the prospect of wearing a black suit in the tropics ... make sure your groomsmen feel the same. :001_rolle If they are all from Wisconsin, they may not share your "piece of cake" approach.

:thumbup1: Its all good, we're all from Australia so we are used to wearing suits in stupidly hot weather.

Its interesting that so many people point out the heat element. For us, its just part of life and whilst most Australian's complain about it, no one really makes a concerted effort to adopt a more 'appropriate' form of business/formal dress.

Maybe I should try to bring back the Safari Suit? :lol:

Tropical island at 3 pm, outside, that's going to be a warm one. Black & Navy could become unbearably hot especially if the suit is designed for wearing in cooler climates. I'd also review the local customs, for instance a Barong Tagalog is considered formal wear in the Philippines.

Exactly what I thought when I saw Tropical Island, 3PM and Black Suit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
:thumbup1: Its all good, we're all from Australia so we are used to wearing suits in stupidly hot weather.

Its interesting that so many people point out the heat element. For us, its just part of life and whilst most Australian's complain about it, no one really makes a concerted effort to adopt a more 'appropriate' form of business/formal dress.

Actually, if you live through it all the time you get used to it. It works the same way for people who live in cold climates, but in reverse.

If I told a bunch of Aussies that I was planning an outdoor winter wedding in the Rocky Mountains, and should we wear suits or tuxes, you'd all think "s'trewth, Mate, who can tell under three parkas and an overcoat?"

Not always. During Bushfire season it is often quite dry, but there are also days when we have 80-90% humidity.

Those days are always tough, I always find it hard to work out when the humidity is so high

Tropical island at 3 pm, outside, that's going to be a warm one. Black & Navy could become unbearably hot especially if the suit is designed for wearing in cooler climates. I'd also review the local customs, for instance a Barong Tagalog is considered formal wear in the Philippines.

At my wedding the groomsmen & I wore Barongs. Mine was custom made and heavily embroidered. Cool & free moving I was ready to go all day. Seriously, look at local traditions you are both comfortable with because styles not from the topics are going to be hard on you. Your getting married enjoy the day. If your socks are wet because the sweat is rolling off you that fast then you will not appreciate the beautiful setting of the wedding, let alone your bride.

Rick

See, this I don't get. Heavy suits were invented in chilly European cities, why wouldn't you adapt to local conditions?

In regards to " run ", I was thinking the same thing but wanted to give advice on a tie instead....lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom