What's new

Getting Married, Need Some Help

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I am looking for some advice for my October wedding.

Considerations are:

The ceremony will be at 3pm with the reception running until about 10pm.
I'm getting married in a garden on a tropical island
I'll be wearing a suit - groomsmen will be in black suits.

Ok, so where do I start?

I've got several suits, but they are all in navy - is this a wise choice? I've been considering a grey suit, but haven't made up my mind. I don't want to do black.

Any advice for the tie? I think the theme for the bridesmaids is a light pinkish colour, but I'd rather not wear that.

Shoes? No idea!

Over to you guys...help me out here! :lol:

I don't know your $$$$ situation.

If you have a little, get a new suit from a nice place. Discussing the occasion with the tailor.

Around here we rent tuxes. Spend a little extra on the rental.

Silver or gray is a neutral tone that works if you don't like matching the bridesmaids.

Congratulations. And as an old wise man once said, "Relax, nothing is going to be alright."

Tropical island at 3 pm, outside, that's going to be a warm one. Black & Navy could become unbearably hot especially if the suit is designed for wearing in cooler climates. I'd also review the local customs, for instance a Barong Tagalog is considered formal wear in the Philippines.

3PM..... too early for a tux, perhaps embrace the tropical theme and wear a Guayabera Shirt or linen suit, traditionally before 6pm a morning suit or cutaway is worn.

First off, congratulations!

As for the tie color, our wedding colors were a bright pink/magenta. Her bridesmaids wore dresses of that color and the groomsmen wore black tuxes with silver vests and a pink tie (striped with silver or somehow textured - it wasn't solid pink by any stretch). As the groom, my vest & tie were a nice, simple ivory.

I like the idea of a linen suit, possibly for everyone depending on the expected temps. Only problem is the expense for something that most won't wear again. (That's supposed to be one of the advantages groomsmen have over bridesmaids!)

No black suits in the Tropics! Definitely go with a 'local' flavor, maybe white linen shirts and light pants.
We get married on the beach in Mexico in something very similar.

tropical island at 3 in the afternoon.. glad I ain't gotta wear a black suit! check local customs I bet no one on the island owns a black suit.

Mate - congrats!

These yanks are wimps, Aussie blokes are man enough to wear a suit @ 3pm in the tropics. I've been to weddings as a guest in a suit in 40 degree Sydney summers - just suck it up buttercup!

I still (20 years later) have my wedding suit and it fits (just). I got a formal black suit that I've used for formal occassions since - a worthwhile investment.

In relation to the tie - get your wife to be to pick that because she will be really chuffed, she will also care far more than you how it looks and you might as well start the way you will continue.

Shoes - I'll leave that one to you - something that goes with the suit!

'Suck it up Buttercup' :lol:

I've seen enough 40+ summers to know that! Maybe I should just dust of my Pop's polyester safari suit, Mark? :lol:

I hadn't actually considered a Linen or Cotton suit so maybe I'll go that route? My groomsmen are stuck wearing black, so can I wear navy?

Congratulations!

Shoes? No idea!

As far as shoes go, after you make sure they go well with whatever you are wearing then make sure they are comfortable and fit well. You will be wearing these shoes for around 7 hours and standing a lot, you don't want to kill your feet! :wink2:

White Guayabera, natural linen pantaloons, tan woven leather sandals (NOT flip-flops, those are tacky), and a straw Milan pork-pie with a one color band.

I don't understand why ANYONE would want to wear a black or navy suit at a beach wedding, but if your groomsmen absolutely have to wear black (poor bastards), then you absolutely can't wear navy, that would look ridonkulous. I'm with the majority here that the best bet would be a linen suit, but if not linen then at least a grey suit would go better with the bridesmaids, and groomsmen, and be significantly cooler than black. You should also know the groomsmen will likely only be wearing their jackets for the ceremony if you make em wear black. If any of them are unmarried watch out, they might make you wear PVC pants to their wedding :p

I don't think I saw anyone ask this question. What does SWMBO think? What is her input?

Yes. I'm surprised you're even allowed to ask a bunch of strangers! This one is a keeper!

I chuckle every time I get an email that there's an update to this thread because I open my inbox and just see Getting Married, Need Some Help and have to agree. We all do! :a54:

Top Bottom