What's new

Best man for a morning wedding

Hi guys. I've come to ask for a little bit of help for my troubled friend and I. In a month, one of my best friends is getting married at 10am in a church with a reception following shortly thereafter. The wedding and reception won't be very large or too fancy.

I'm the best man and only groomsman. So, he would like the two of us to wear tuxedos (he owns one) to the ceremony and reception. He seems unaware that a tuxedo is regarded as evening wear, yet none of his wedding activities will go into the evening hours. Well, some might, but let's not go there... :)

I would like to politely suggest something else to him for us to wear. The only issue is that I'm not 100% certain what to suggest aside from dark (not black) suits. I feel like he might want to wear his tux just because he happens to own one and "formal occasion = tux". His wife to be won't be wearing an elaborate gown, and I know the whole point is to make *her* stand out, so what do you guys suggest I should do? Or should I just keep my opinion to myself and rent a tux? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You are quite right that a tux should be reserved for the evening, but ...

... it's his wedding not yours, so your thought of keeping your opinion to yourself is probably right.

In my part of the country Tux's are worn to weddings regardless of the time of day. Unless Money is an issue then they buy a good black suit from Penny's. Dillards or Kohls.

While Tux's are traditionally regarded as evening wear, they are now accepted as appropriate wear for a wedding, regardless of the time of day. It's your friends wedding, let him have his day. It may not be traditional, but a tuxedo always looks good at a wedding.

I have to agree with the others. I feel that a tuxedo is appropriate for a wedding regardless of time. While it would be "evening wear" out to some other gala event, a wedding is a special occasion and the tuxedo is the classic look regardless of the time of day.

Lot of my friends getting married for the first time lately. Seems like current fashion is to wear whatever is requested regardless of time of day (I agree tux's are evening wear). It's their day so just play along. If it really bothers you, you could suggest some more seasonal wear such as linen, cotton, light wool or seersucker suits, but that's personal preference.

As other's have said, it's your friend's wedding. As the best man, the only advice about attire you should give is that he should wear whatever his wife-to-be wants him to wear.

As for whether he should wear a tux, isn't that the whole purpose for a morning coat/cutaway?

It's his wedding. Wear whatever he requests, and don't mention anything that even implies your dissention. It doesn't matter if you're right about fashion -- it's his (and his bride's) call.

Im sure the traditions differ between Sweden and the us, but I would agree that you should listen to how your friend want his wedding. From my Swedish persepctive It would be perfectly fine of the "men on stage" (groom, best men) all were wearing tuxedos. I think you could call Tuxedo not only evening wear, but also formal wear in thses circumstances.

The modern tuxedo or dinner jacket should only be worn at night, it's the dressed down version of proper evening wear, i.e. white tie & tails. A morning suit would be appropriate for a daytime or afternoon wedding, but since it's not your call just grin and bear it...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The modern tuxedo or dinner jacket should only be worn at night, it's the dressed down version of proper evening wear, i.e. white tie & tails. A morning suit would be appropriate for a daytime or afternoon wedding, but since it's not your call just grin and bear it...

Yes, and YES +10

If they want to get married in swimsuits and hawaiian shirts at the beach, or dressed in costume as "sexy nun and naughty priest", or with him and you wearing tuxes at 10.am ... it's their wedding. Roll with it. :001_rolle

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mike:
According to "Ask Men...Become a Better Man" and I aggre that Weddings can be tricky; make sure the groom really means “formal / tux”-- you don’t want to be the odd one out, but you may just have to go 'with your gut feeling. :blush:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/293b_fashion_advice.html

Evening Time Semiformal

"For evening weddings or the theater, here is the correct attire: a tuxedo jacket, black trousers with one satin seam, a black cummerbund or vest, a black bow tie, black or gold studs or cuff links, and a white silk scarf".

Day Time Semiformal

"Day semiformal [would be just grand....and what a 'entrance' you would behold], is most likely the way you'd dress for a day wedding. This look traditionally consists of a gray morning coat (cutaway), gray or black striped trousers, a gray double-breasted vest, a gray tie or pinned ascot, gray gloves, a top hat and spats, a white boutonniere, pearl cuff links, and studs. Nowadays, unless you're in the wedding party, you're not required to appear so dressed up. Instead, opt for a light-colored suit and tie combination and you'll fit right in".

Semiformal

"Tuxes are not required at a semiformal event, but any evening event still calls for a dark suit at the very least. Also, today's fashion world dictates that ties are not absolutely necessary to complete the look at a semiformal event".

Types of Formal Attire

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:

I got married in a morning coat with tails and striped tie. My bride was wearing a white gown. We got married in the early afternoon. I think if the bride is less formal than that, the men ought to be wearing suits. You asked for opinions. By the way, that was my first marriage. For the second one, we went to a magistrate at the courthouse. The second one has lasted far longer (and feels like it).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I got married in the middle of the night. My best man wore pajamas.

Top Bottom