What's new

Funny you should ask...

Is geofatboy the ultimate authority when it comes teaching newcomers how to use a safety razor? He has many youtube videos where he shaves with a safety razor....

Apart from aftershave, moisturizing balm, and witch hazel, what pther options are there to replenish moisture and make oily skin go away?

Oily sometimes can be your own skin reacting to dryness.

Oily skin doesn’t necessarily mean hydrated skin. Some people mix that up.

The hard part is, everyone is different. You have to do some testing and see how it reacts.

Just remember that oily CAN be from excess of moisture OR natural reaction to dryness and lack of moisture.
I mean dryness and lack of moisture, how can this be corrected/remedied so its not all oily as a result of dehydration?

Can newcomers who have never used a classic safety razor like a merkur 23c or 38c simply jump into the shower and attempt to learn how to use either of these but while in the shower vs in front of a quiet bathroom sink? Can i get some feedback here...?

Not sure I understand the question.
In what way possible should someone have asked gillette, schick, or shave edge gel by phone back in early 2000 by phone so like that theyre told that what these guys recommend to do is to shave while in the shower, leave the lather on for at least 3 minutes and then shave? If someone were to call gillette, schick, or edge by phone today then how should they go about asking any of these guys this question so like that they get this approximate shave tip then??

Ask your barber, other male members of your family, or your friends? I don’t think you would know that you didn’t get the answer you wanted if you didn’t know what you wanted to know in the first place. The internet then was a completely different place than it is now. None of that face chat, chirping, or snap book crap. Chat rooms were literally that, typed words, not a lot of pictures or videos.
Please explain....

What would you like me to explain?

Gillette etc all have suggested ways too use their products. If they don't think you should leave the gel/foam/lather on for 3 minutes in the shower you won't get that info from them. The only way you'd figure it out is by your own trial and error or through word of mouth from others. Even today Gillette says to rub the gel into your face and then shave. Nowhere does it say to leave the lather on for 3 minutes. Somebody, somewhere figured that out by trial and error and posted it online.

You wouldn't know that Gillette didn't give you a 3 min answer because you didn't know to ask about the 3 minutes. You would get whatever advise they gave you which would probably be something like rub on face to create lather, and shave.

What would you like me to explain?

Gillette etc all have suggested ways too use their products. If they don't think you should leave the gel/foam/lather on for 3 minutes in the shower you won't get that info from them. The only way you'd figure it out is by your own trial and error or through word of mouth from others. Even today Gillette says to rub the gel into your face and then shave. Nowhere does it say to leave the lather on for 3 minutes. Somebody, somewhere figured that out by trial and error and posted it online.

You wouldn't know that Gillette didn't give you a 3 min answer because you didn't know to ask about the 3 minutes. You would get whatever advise they gave you which would probably be something like rub on face to create lather, and shave.
I saw the 3 minute for the first time in 2003, 2004 either on bicworld.com or schick/edge website. I ask myself the following question, why wasnt it posted in early 2000?

They were online at the time, and the Wayback Machine has (futilely) scraped their site, here:

But as you can see, it was built with Flash (which was all the rage at the time), but is now completely useless...
Well it doesnt show on archive.org the email contact option where one could have emailed at the time?? Can you show me??

As are most of us, I'm sure.

As a (serious) side question to any computer guys out there, what are the chances that a 22 year old email address for a major corporation would still be a valid email today? Slight chance? Good chance? I'm honestly curious now.
All i asked was if at the time they would have had an email posted on their website??

The website was built in Flash, so it is not possible to retrieve all the content. Having said that, one of the (now broken) links is to a page called feedback, so it was probably a webform rather than an exposed email address.

Surprisingly high. Orgs I worked with in the early 90s still have valid contact emails. Once you set up generic addresses, like contact@, they tend to just persist unless you change domains.
What about edge shave gel? I cannot see an email form on this website! Rsvp.
Screenshot_20221129-215600_Chrome.jpg

Wet towel as hot as you can take it for 3 minutes. Sorry, but I'm really here for the show...:popc:

I'd be willing to bet that wetting one's whiskers with warm water would work well.

I really wanted that alliteration, I'll be more helpful now.

I have not used Gillette foamy. I think one would be better off washing their whiskers and then keeping a warm, wet towel on for those two (or more!) minutes before adding the foamy. Soap and water do a wonderful job of softening hair.

My facial hair is pretty tough. I shave after showering, so I don't have to actively soak my hair to soften.
What if wetting with warm water only for 3 minutes?

Top Bottom