What's new

Funny you should ask...

I could be wrong but I do not believe that pores can open and close.

I could be wrong but I do not believe that pores can open and close.
Look at this,

Moisturizer does more than just what it’s called - moisturize.

It also sends a message to the receptors in your skin that decide how much oil needs to be produced! So in addition to moisturizer adding moisture to your skin (even if you don’t feel like it needs it), if you add moisturizer to it, it is a clean way to tell your skin to STOP producing more moisture.

This means that a person who would start with having oily skin could end up, after using moisturizer daily, having “normal” skin, because your oil production would be regulated by the moisture.

Would a moisturizer help out or not?

How can someone get rid of oily facial skin after shaving? Oily skin that develops several hours after shaving that is... a special kind of aftershave or moisturizer?

How could an aftershave or moisturizer be good for oily skin which is a byproduct of shaving? What can get rid of oily skin which is actually dehydrated as a result of shaving then?

Witch hazel is a mild cleanser with the 14% alcohol is what I suggest, this is what I used over the last 3 years. I just use a mister and you don't need a lot, wipe with a dry comfortable wash cloth after hand smearing works for myself. Witch Hazel has been helping folks with skin issues for over a Century. I buy mine at Walmart when shopping is good place to start.
View attachment 1541565
Have some great shaves!
But what about aftershave or moisturizer? What will make witch hazel prevail over these two?

Do you generally have oily skin or has that developed since using a particular kind of shave soap/cream? I've found some shave soaps can cause my skin to get quite greasy/oily. Changing to different soap has cured that problem for me.
I just have generally oily skin even when i never shave..., why?

Why does my skin get all oily but ONLY when i shave? When i NEVER shave my skin feels dry, normal, and comfortable. Why is this? Why would this be the case then?

If aftershave, moisturizing lotion, or witch hazel dont help i can only suspect that isotretinoin would be the ultimate remedy, what do you think?

This may have changed, and I'm not sure where you are, but Isotretinoin is/was only available with a prescription here in the US. It's been some time since I've felt with it though. A dermatologist will only prescribe it for severe acne, not oily skin.
Then what might a dermatologist rx for an outbreak of oily skin which comes as a result of shaving?

Honestly, I don't know. Isotretinoin just rang a bell because someone I knew was using it and was worried she was pregnant. Apparently it can cause some pretty serious birth defects. You've mentioned in other posts that your skin is dehydrated. I know it sounds counterintuitive but sometimes dry skin causes oily skin. Hydrating your skin may make it less oily. It's going to feel really strange and super oily at first but when your skin moisture levels get back to normal the oiliness will go away. It worked for me. The other option, and the one I recommend, is see a dermatologist they'd know what would be best to overcome your skin issues. Good luck, I hope you can get it figured out.
Well, what kind of aftershave or moisturizer do you recommend? Nivea, old spice, maybe witch hazel?

Hey Larry
I use the word balms loosely. Nivea makes some good inexpensive post-shave "balms" that add moisturizing ingredients that can be absorbed into the skin. It may be helpful to use on just the parts of your skin that becomes "dehydrated". CeraVe mentioned above, seems to add more of a protective layer on the skin. I often rub both together and apply.

Aftershaves that contain witch hazel, (like Lucky Tiger Face Tonic) should be applied before using a moisturizer.

To keep the skin from becoming too dry, you could try a cool/cold water shave and a shaving soap or cream that does not dry out your skin.
Well thats exactly what i want, for my skin to be really dry....!

Between a combo of aftershave, moisturizer, and witch hazel in what order should these be applied to face after shaving to prevent oiliness from developing?

Careful with what you wish for. I understand wanting your skin to feel supple and clean, but our skin produces natural oils that are there to protect and keep healthy, but overdrying the skin can cause all sorts of problems.

Yes shaving does have a drying effect so the skin is trying to counter that by producing extra oils and I assume thats what you don't want to happen.

Thats where the aftershave or moisturizer comes thru, supplies the stuff needed for the skin before it starts producing its own way of replenishing what was lost.

So each individual has to come to a balance of what to use, how much, how often, etc. In order to achieve the results they want.
I want for my skin to feel normal, dry, and comfortable... does this make sense?

I use witch hazel and follow it with a post shave balm, which doubles as a moisturizer. I don't bother with AS splashes for scent.

1.) Every face is different.
2.) Every combo of gear is different.
3.) Different starting points will have different results.

Canned foam or gel is harder on the skin than a good shaving soap. Cartridge razors, as commonly used, will cause more irritation than a DE or SE properly used. So you start from a different place and can expect different results. Also, your face is different than his, so your results will be somewhat different than his no matter what you use.
What if i use proraso soap with a cartridge razor? What then?

Top Bottom