What's new

Funeral fragrance etiquette?

My own theory--I could be wrong--is that we become acclimated in several meanings of that word to various smells in the modern environment and thus do not consciously notice that they are there. I guess my point is that trying to have zero scent one's person is not really possible. I suppose one could argue that scents that we have all become acclimated to do not count.

It is also my theory that scents that are worn lightly, even where they are not thought of as perceptible, are often sensed subliminally by others and have positive effects.

I really try not to overapply scents. I feel embarrassed when I have inadvertently worn scent so that it really projects particularly in, say, a business setting. But that does not happen very often. I think we acclimate to scents someone else is wearing fairly quickly usually anyway. I may notice that someone is wearing a lot of scent, but I do not think I keep noticing it.

All a matter of balance and context, I suppose.

It strikes me that the differing responses in this thread really emphasize--and are an extension of--our differing views about scents in general.

The original question may be a massive case of overthink...after all, why should a funeral really be any different than any other occasion when choosing a scent? It's a nice sign of sensitivity to be concerned about offending others (especially in this time of decreasing sensitivity in many areas of society), but really--good taste in applying scents should be the rule at all times, not just at a funeral.

I doubt if there's a need to be worried that one's choice of fragrance might be an issue at a funeral. I submit that the only real problem would be how much one applies--which should not be hard to control. Tend toward the conservative if there is any question and all should be well.

I kind of agree with the original poster that Bond No. 9 Coney Island, or Fire Island, would not have been the best of choices. I think something incensey/churchy strikes the right somber note. The scent I wear sometimes affects my own mood. Not saying that anyone has to think it through this carefully as to type. But it is interesting to think about it in that depth. Anything conservative and lightly applied should not put anyone off.

There are fundamental differences of views among us about scents. I think it is perfectly okay for that to be so.

I kind of agree with the original poster that Bond No. 9 Coney Island, or Fire Island, would not have been the best of choices. I think something incensey/churchy strikes the right somber note. The scent I wear sometimes affects my own mood. Not saying that anyone has to think it through this carefully as to type. But it is interesting to think about it in that depth. Anything conservative and lightly applied should not put anyone off.

There are fundamental differences of views among us about scents. I think it is perfectly okay for that to be so.

It doesn't have to be incense or churchy scent, most any fougere or chypre would do. I just wouldn't go with a loud oriental that screams "I want to party/I'm on the hunt".
Cheers,
Renato

It strikes me that the differing responses in this thread really emphasize--and are an extension of--our differing views about scents in general.

The original question may be a massive case of overthink...after all, why should a funeral really be any different than any other occasion when choosing a scent? It's a nice sign of sensitivity to be concerned about offending others (especially in this time of decreasing sensitivity in many areas of society), but really--good taste in applying scents should be the rule at all times, not just at a funeral.

I doubt if there's a need to be worried that one's choice of fragrance might be an issue at a funeral. I submit that the only real problem would be how much one applies--which should not be hard to control. Tend toward the conservative if there is any question and all should be well.

Good points. Thinking about this more, I don't think I would think much differently about what to wear or how much to apply when going to a funeral than I do when going to other events where I will be "dressed up" and in close quarters with others. I attended a funeral recently, and this is exactly how I decided what to wear. I don't think others are nearly as aware of what fragrance we wear as we are, and probably don't have the same heightened awareness of a scent only being appropriate for certain activities, like clubbing vs attending a funeral. I gave the widow a hug at this last funeral, and I'm pretty sure she was oblivious to whether or not I was wearing a scent.

Windex! lol J/K
People wear all sorts of things, I work in that line Embalmer/Creamation etc. I don't think some thing like a scent is going to make a difference, some thing heady strong and crazy I would say no lol but I haven't met any one at a service yet that has worn some thing like that. Generally mostly pleasant scents if any, pay no mind as long as your have some common sense lol. Heck...some people actually pick up girls at these...odd but true!

Last edited:
When I'm going someplace where a strong scent would be a bit much (e.g. a funeral, although a lot of times the smell of flowers overpowers all) I spray/dab my cologne on a damp napkin and lightly touch my neck and wrist with it. Keeps the smell faint but present.

Top Bottom