What's new

Funeral fragrance etiquette?

I don't know why, but I usually wear six sprays of D&G Homme to funerals.

Beats me why so many puritanical ideas around here.
Plenty of women wear scents to funerals, and I doubt anybody would be telling them to go unscented.
Most people get dressed up to go to funerals - so why suggest people "dress down" scent-wise when they are getting dressed up clothes-wise?
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Beats me why so many puritanical ideas around here.

It's not being puritanical. It's all about respect and consideration for others.

Plenty of women wear scents to funerals, and I doubt anybody would be telling them to go unscented.

Actually, I think no one wants to smell anyone doused with perfume at a funeral. It's all about respect and consideration for others.

Most people get dressed up to go to funerals - so why suggest people "dress down" scent-wise when they are getting dressed up clothes-wise?

Dressing up for a funeral shows respect for the deceased and his or her family. Wearing too much fragrance shows a lack of consideration and a degree of self-centeredness that seems to me to be vastly out of place at a funeral..

It's not being puritanical. It's all about respect and consideration for others.

Actually, I think no one wants to smell anyone doused with perfume at a funeral. It's all about respect and consideration for others.

Dressing up for a funeral shows respect for the deceased and his or her family. Wearing too much fragrance shows a lack of consideration and a degree of self-centeredness that seems to me to be vastly out of place at a funeral..

Not sure what you mean.
On the one hand you seem to be anti-scent at funerals, but then you talk negatively about "Wearing too much" - apparently meaning that wearing some fragrance is okay.

From what you seem to be describing, funerals aren't the dour affairs down here that is apparently the case where you live.
Regards,
Renato

Please do not take this comment to be disrespectful in any way. I am really getting into fragrances myself and I am building up my collection and I understand that on a cold raining day, Virgin Island Water that smells like coconut, rum and sugar probably isn't the greatest fit for me when i'm wearing a sweater. Conversely something more woodys/musk-ish wouldn't make sense if I'm wearing linen pants and chilling out on a beach.

I have noticed some advice being asked on threads asking about what to wear to on a date (makes sense) and other questions are about interviews, funerals and divorce hearings (actually I can't remember the other odd one).

How many of you are getting ready for your day and/or event and try to match your fragrances. I'm not saying it's crazy but I don't know if I would ever take it that far.

Like I said, I hope this doesn't come off as "You are all way too into this." but I was wondering if when my collection builds I would plan a fragrance as I would my clothes. I won't wear flip-flops to a business meeting because that's common sense, but I'm not really going to ponder fragrance choice for more than a split second. Just a thought.

Please do not take this comment to be disrespectful in any way. I am really getting into fragrances myself and I am building up my collection and I understand that on a cold raining day, Virgin Island Water that smells like coconut, rum and sugar probably isn't the greatest fit for me when i'm wearing a sweater. Conversely something more woodys/musk-ish wouldn't make sense if I'm wearing linen pants and chilling out on a beach.

I have noticed some advice being asked on threads asking about what to wear to on a date (makes sense) and other questions are about interviews, funerals and divorce hearings (actually I can't remember the other odd one).

How many of you are getting ready for your day and/or event and try to match your fragrances. I'm not saying it's crazy but I don't know if I would ever take it that far.

Like I said, I hope this doesn't come off as "You are all way too into this." but I was wondering if when my collection builds I would plan a fragrance as I would my clothes. I won't wear flip-flops to a business meeting because that's common sense, but I'm not really going to ponder fragrance choice for more than a split second. Just a thought.

This will surely change the deeper you go in. I ponder the SOTD choice nearly as much as my attire for any given day and on some days, maybe even moreso.

Very possible. I have a thing for nice watches and I do take those into consideration. Makes sense. And ever since I posted that reply I'm thinking about occasions. Just got my sampler of Royal Oud and sprayed it while I'm waiting in traffic.

Not blown away just yet but I'll give it time.

This will surely change the deeper you go in. I ponder the SOTD choice nearly as much as my attire for any given day and on some days, maybe even moreso.

I have so many scents I find pondering a waste of time. I may indeed ponder briefly the night before, but when I actually go to get a scent for the occasion, whim takes over and I usually grab something else. Basically, my preferences change on the hour.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:

i must be doing it wrong as i'll wear VIW whenever. It's a nice unexpected contrast and fun… I don't often think of winter/summer/funeral/carnival as specific scent only occasions. this funeral was an outlier and i probably would have worn Dirty English, GIT, Bleu, whatever if i didn't have the amber oud hanging out on my drawer or maybe DC1913. maybe.. that's pretty dark

I think what threw me off was the question was asked as if there were a definitive right answer.

I suppose most things we talk about on B&B are topics that are as subjective as you can get. Smell, texture, time, etc.

I value the opinions, but sometimes feel like an oddball when I heard that "x" is great but then I try it out and think its garbage.

Right about now for what I've sampled I'm batting about .500

I think what threw me off was the question was asked as if there were a definitive right answer.

I suppose most things we talk about on B&B are topics that are as subjective as you can get. Smell, texture, time, etc.

I value the opinions, but sometimes feel like an oddball when I heard that "x" is great but then I try it out and think its garbage.

That's more interesting is that if you revisit these scents a year later, assuming you increasing your sampling and "fragrance library", what you think is garbage will later be great and vice versa.

When I first got Egoiste and Musc Ravageur, I was not impressed. This was early in the process and back when I would write off a fragrance based on topnotes. Now those two are among my favorites. Used to love Sartorial, now I think it's just Brut....but maybe if I revisit it (has been months since I wore it) I might love it again.

I have to go OT her, but i think there is such a cross section of guys 15 - 85, locations, cultures, etc... on here, you are bound to feel that way..

when i keep hearing the love for the cheap drugstore stuff, it makes me feel like i have no idea whats going on with the world.

My grandfather passed in Oct. He was an Old Spice man all the way so I wore a little vintage Old Spice to his funeral as sort of a tribute.

All those who err on the side of caution doesn't it get a bit bored and tiresome? If not making waves surely some ripples for excitement would be fine.

All those who err on the side of caution doesn't it get a bit bored and tiresome? If not making waves surely some ripples for excitement would be fine.

Not sure if I understand your post. Are you suggesting that a funeral is a good time to shake yourself free from the boring and tiresome routine of everyday life? To make waves? I think it's OK to leave funerals to the grieving and the heartbroken and save the fun for the Ren Faire.

Perhaps, if you think someone else's period of mourning is all about you.

Oddly enough, that someone else's period of mourning has on occasion been me being that someone else - when my parents, and relatives and close friends have passed away. I certainly had no objections to others wearing scents at the funeral, since I was wearing one on each occasion. The thought that they or I were somehow being disrepectful for wearing scents at my parents' funerals certainly never crossed my mind, and in no way interferred with my mourning.

Clearly, there are cultural and religious differences/perceptions here which are totally at odds with each other.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom