What's new

Franken-Scent Friday

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Palmolive cream gets bottled.

The Boss is in charge here, it owned the scent. I was a bit heavy handed on the sprays, giving it four sprays.
The scent was not overpowering and made for a pleasant shave.
Would I use it again? Not this exact mix but maybe parts for another monster.

$20160501_093457.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday tried PAA (Phoenix Artist Accoutrements) #9 (the one that smells like Hoppe's #9 ) with KMF (Kiss My Face) Pomegranate-Graprfruit, not because I thought the two would compliment, rather because it was so odd. Was great shave and smell was quite pleasant. PAA pretty much drowned out the KMF.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was having a look through the den draws and found a sample of sandalwood cream sitting there that I had forgot about. This was a free sample so was not in the mood for it when it arrived. :idea: Well it's a perfect opportunity to play with it to make a Franken-Scent cream.

Fat-Sandalwood
I liked the scent of this, both worked well together. Great shave, I would use this one again.

$20160507_082514.jpg

proxy.php

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cremo, Synergy Cavendish and a few drops of Fine Clean Vetiever. Very nice, slick, plenty of scent, a menthol kick and smooth shave. I had two nicks. I blame Chris.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cremo, Synergy Cavendish and a few drops of Fine Clean Vetiever. Very nice, slick, plenty of scent, a menthol kick and smooth shave. I had two nicks. I blame Chris.

Fine clean Vetiver sounds like a nice scent to add to the mix.
Two nicks? I suggest less pressure. :w00t:

This morning, in keeping with Menthol Monday, two classics together. Proraso green from tube and Cella. Proraso green dominated is smell. Great smooth shave with lots of lather.

I forgot to chime in on Friday. I mixed Thayer's SuperHazel and some Dr Jon's Hydra AS in my GFT Coconut Oil cream instead of using water. I didn't notice any difference in perfotmance but it definitely changed the scent!

I've got ...........
A tube of Old Spice Fresh Lime Shaving Cream from India - the scent is too bland and insipid
A tube of Lider Shaving Cream from Poland - the chemically lime scent is too overpowering to the point of being gut-churning
A puck of Unbranded Shaving Soap from China - a good soap in itself, but smells too much like a diluted knock-off version of Arko
So this morning I combined all 3 and created a very nice superlather
It's got all the thick, creamy properties of Fresh Lime, the Lider scent is toned down by the subtle lemon scent from the Chinese soap to create a refreshing lemon/lime scent.
The soap also gave a bit of extra oomph to the slickness and cushion of the lather
This formula is a keeper - I can't wait until I start cold water shaving in summer so I can try it mixed with cold water in a stainless steel bowl that has been in the freezer overnight !!
$20160510_055044.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good stuff guys. :thumbup1:

Adam that's the idea, mixing up some average scents to get something you enjoy is what it's all about.

I often get half way through something and then it just sits there unused. This way it helps use up some old stock and is fun in the process.

Prep: splash of hot water on face
Lather: Tabac super-lathered with La Toja Crema de Afeitar
Brush: Omega B&B Essential Boar (green sea-foam)
Razor: Fasan Doppelschrage "double-slant"
Blade: Bolzano Superinox [99]
Finish: RazoRock The Stallion

Not Friday, but it was a Franken-Scent nonetheless :001_cool:

Went with a really odd soap combination today. Since there wasn't enough grated Tabac left in the Old Spice mug, and I was too lazy to grate some more off the stick, I decided to super-lather. Loaded up Tabac with the brush, and smeared a half-dose of La Toja cream on my face before lathering. Holy Lather Batman! I could pick out both the Tabac and La Toja scents clearly, but neither was front and center. This was the best of both worlds. For me, soaps are slicker than creams, but creams have a better post-shave feel. Arko soap and Godrej cream is another killer super-lather combination.

99 shaves on the Bolzano and today and it was not a great one. It might have been the blade or the razor, but I got a bit of aftershave burn on my right jawline (the only place where my beard grows in funny directions). Nothing serious, no redness, but definitely more burn. No clue what I'll use for my 100th shave.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, Friday's coming up slowly so time is not the essence. I'm thinking Creamo (cause that's my only Creamo) teamed up with Irisch Moos. Yes, I have the Moos. Maybe a few drops of Lime Sec.

Goldex Cream from Portugal has a very overpowering, chemically lime scent
Proraso Green Soap from Italy has a very nice menthol tingle, nothing wrong with the Soap, but since trying the Cream version, the Soap is a bit of a 5th wheel
So, this morning I used them to make a superlather.......
Very easy to mix in my hammered copper bowl from Turkey, took less than 30 seconds and very little water
Very slick, plenty of cushion, ample amount for 3 passes + buffing N-S & S-N everywhere below the jawline, probably enough left over for another shave - Note to self, when mixing superlathers, halve the amount of each product used :facep:D'Oh
The faint menthol scent of the Proraso toned down the overpowering lime scent of the Goldex and created a nice refreshing lime scent with an invigorating menthol tingle
Nice close, smooth shave without a nick or weeper in sight.

Considering it's the morning after having a late night and a few beers, and I was still a bit bleary eyed after having only 5 hours sleep, the lime scent and menthol tingle made a nice refreshing "heart-starter" that made me feel "human" again.
After having a good shave and a cold towel, alum block, another cold towel 10 minutes later and a splash of Floid Vigaroso I felt like a million dollars.

This one's another keeper, it will be part of my cold water shaving prep in the July/August heatwave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Another keeper Adam, you're on a roll.

Black Friday Franken-Scent. 2/3 wild Rose to 1/3 Cedarwood. Nice but will go 3/4 to 1/4 next time as the Taylor Cedarwood is quite strong kept the rose down low.

$20160511_211233.jpg

Bond Cream from Poland is a good performer with great moisturizing and soothing properties from the Aloe Vera, but the bland, chemically scent is not much fun
Lider Cream, also from Poland is a good performer, but the strong, chemically lime scent is a bit off putting
Unbranded shaving soap puck from China, performs well, but the faint citrus scent reminds me of a diluted version of Derby soap, but it's is so bland that the puck is surplus to requirement in itself, but ideal for superlathering.

The 3 blended well together with a small amount of warm water and exploded into a very creamy lather.
Slick with plenty of cushion and so creamy I could only feel the lather going onto my face, but couldn't feel the badger bristles on the brush.
I had a "Santa Beard" lather, which is my favourite part of cream lathering. Nice subtle, but refreshing lime scent.
WTG,XTG,ATG followed by buffing N-S then S-N everywhere below the jawline using my Windrose D-9 Chunky with a slim Merkur style head and a Racer Super Class Platinum blade.
Perfectly comfortable, close and smooth shave. The blade started dragging and "squeaking" towards the end of the S-N buffing, but no irritation, nicks or weepers, partly I think due to the Aloe Vera from the Bond.

Another good blend, it worked well and there was still plenty of lather left over, even though I used small amounts of cream and soap.

I've found my 3rd keeper in a row ................ A hat trick !!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Okay, my Franken-scent Friday started off with watching Friday the 13th. After that I face lathered Creamo cream then followed that up with Clubman Lime-Sec infused Tabac soap. All of it worked great together. A very nice slick powerful citrus scented lather. Of course I had to follow that up with a splash of the Lime-Sec....my lips were puckered all day.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I tried a sample of CR Salter - Vetiver the other day and found it a bit too much for my taste. Enter Franken-Scent

Loaded the brush lightly with some speick soap, added to the brush a good size of CR Salter - Wild Rose, a very small amount of CR Salter - Vetiver. Then I thought, should I or should I not add some Taylor of Old Bond Street - Cedarwood? Hmmm in it went, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Result was a great shave.
The first pass was a scent well combined, second pass I could just smell the Ceadawood most and the third pass was more the Vetiver yet not OTT.
The Rose and speick seemed lost in the mix but I'm sure they added something even if it was only taming the beast.
I would use this one again.

Last edited:
Old Spice Musk Cream from India lathers like a pro and is as slick and cushiony as you could want, but the scent is too bland and insipid for words
Monsavon Bol A Raser soft soap from France is very temperamental to lather, not particularly slick or cushiony, and the perfumey lavender scent is a bit cloying and overbearing

So, I put the 2 together and created a thick, creamy superlather that was slick with plenty of cushion - just the sort of "Santa Beard" that I like
The neutral smell of the Old Spice toned down the perfumey smell of the Monsavon and resulted in an enjoyable sweetish, aromatic scent

I used it to have my 2nd and last shave with the Laser Stainless blade that I was trying out- the blade was too dull for my liking and needed a lot of extra buffing, the cushion of the superlather as well as the slick residue left after every stroke prevented a lot of razor burn which would have occurred if I'd been using the Monsavon on it's own.

Well worth trying the experiment - well worth using again
Another keeper !!

Top Bottom