What's new

Footwear of the Day

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Today was (I believe) the first day I've felt confident enough in their break in, to wear these on my shopping trip.

IMG_20210707_133819.jpg

It wasn't all done on foot though, as I took the bus into town and back. So it was just a mile or so about town, plus around the supermarket. That's still the furthest I've done with them in a day though.

IMG_20240228_133141.jpg

Switching them to over/under cross lacing seems to have helped achieve and maintain proper tension in the laces. I can also now get them tied and untied, without having to call on the hook on the back of my Swiss knife for assistance.

They still haven't fully formed a heel povket yet, but I didn't notice any heel movement today. However, I was mainly walking on the flat. I'm still not convinced they're ready to tackle the hills between me and the shopping areas yet.

Getting these ready for Grand Jury on Tues.

They started life to me as an eBay rescue at 35 ish shipped for a 200-400 retail -made in Italy dress shoe (To Boot New York)

I only liked the tone so so. I stripped off some polish with two wipe downs using 91% iso alcoholView attachment 1798411View attachment 1798412
Then two applications of Bicks #4
View attachment 1798413

Then one coat of TRG camel followed by one coat on TRG red mahogany followed by one coat of Lincoln wax.
View attachment 1798417

View attachment 1798418

Far warmer looking that from which we started.
Nice. What color suit will you wear?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As yesterday was a success with the country boots, I decided to be brave and wear my other slow to break in boots today.

IMG_20210809_154245.jpg

This time I was travelling on foot. Not too far though. I met a friend for lunch about 1.3km (0.8m) from home. They managed the round trip OK, without any significant problems, but I was glad to take them off when I got back. So they're not ready for full day wearing yet (either pair).

IMG_20240229_115801.jpg

I'm glad they have at least partially broken in though. It feels like I am starting to make some progress with them both. I'm not quite sure why they seem to have lost polish on the wings though. That wasn't noticeable until I got them out in direct sunlight. I'll fix that up in the next day or too.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
^^^ Following up...

My photos suck at the best of times, but this is a ludicrously difficult pair of boots to photograph. I have however had a go at tidying them up, after they looked in need of care in yesterday's sunlight.

IMG_20240301_144328.jpg

They look better in real life, honest guv.

Timpson's Cobblers Cream was used all over, followed by some kiwi neutral polish on the brown areas. I haven't been polishing the navy areas intentionally, as they seem to yield a kind of dusty looking finish, which actually contrasts quite nicely with the polished areas. I have at least got all the brown areas looking evenly kempt, which is where they failed a little yesterday.

IMG_20240301_150621.jpg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
^^^ Following up...

My photos suck at the best of times, but this is a ludicrously difficult pair of boots to photograph. I have however had a go at tidying them up, after they looked in need of care in yesterday's sunlight.

View attachment 1804812

They look better in real life, honest guv.

Timpson's Cobblers Cream was used all over, followed by some kiwi neutral polish on the brown areas. I haven't been polishing the navy areas intentionally, as they seem to yield a kind of dusty looking finish, which actually contrasts quite nicely with the polished areas. I have at least got all the brown areas looking evenly kempt, which is where they failed a little yesterday.

View attachment 1804824

Looking very smart. 👍

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
These Hotter Harbour deck shoes are doing well so far with the Easy Lace silicone laces. That said, I did have a surprise escapee earlier today. I need to be mindful of that, as I'm not sure how/when it happened.

20240304_141616.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I surprised myself today. I picked entirely the wrong shoe for the job, and got away with it.

The task was 2.1/2 hour travel (each way) to a hospital appointment. Each journey consisted of walk, 1st bus, walk, light rail, walk, 2nd bus, walk, with each walk being 10 to 15 minutes. Like a moron, I left the house in these, instead of well cushioned "mile clocker" shoes.

IMG_20210828_145740_edit.jpg

I only realised I'd pocked the wrong shoe for five hours of walking and public transport, after it was too late to turn back. There was a nasty hill climb at the end of the outbound journey, which put more strain on my knees than I'd have liked, but otherwise they coped rather well. I wouldn't normally go much more than a mile in these shoes.

Top Bottom