What's new

Changing your EDC knife every day?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Explain to me the benefits?

Or is it just…..variety is the spice of life?

I carry the same Benchmade every single day. I’ve got 20-30 knives I could carry in place of the Benchmade. But the Benchmade is loaded in the jeans daily.

Why do y’all change your EDC pocket knife every day?

I carry the same Benchmade every single day. I’ve got 20-30 knives I could carry in place of the Benchmade. But the Benchmade is loaded in the jeans daily.

Same reasons I rotate through my straight razors.

It's fun to use different things to cut with, and enjoy the variations in feel and size and geometry.

I don't have to sharpen right away when it gets dull.

I can be more judgmental about what "dull" means, because it is so easy to swap in the next knife, so what I've got in my pocket tends to be sharper than it would otherwise.

I don't change knives every day, but I do check every day to see whether it's time to change.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have many pocket knives, but stick with the same few for months. Right now it's a Victorinox Cybertool 34, and a Case Barlow,

IMG_20240409_175501.jpg

Swapping to something else won't achieve anything, other than make the handling less familiar.

I live near the beach, and I've pretty well settled on my small collection of Zero Tolerance knives. If we're going to the beach, I carry one of the washer-bearing knives, if we're in-town, I may carry one of the ceramic ball bearing models, reason being, ultra-fine blowing sand will do bad things to the ball bearing knives.

Other than that, its mostly a matter of taking part of the collection out. I rotate out every few weeks to months. I agree with the above, regarding frequency of change out.

I have many pocket knives, but stick with the same few for months. Right now it's a Victorinox Cybertool 34, and a Case Barlow,

View attachment 1826542

Swapping to something else won't achieve anything, other than make the handling less familiar.
That's my method too. Sometimes it's based on the time of year and what pant/shorts I'll be clipping it to.

Larger/heavier for jeans in the winter, smaller/lighter for shorts in summer.

For everyday wear, I am never without a knife clipped into my front right pocket. I don't carry in the office or when trail running, but even around home I have a knife on me and always have a family member asking to borrow it for a task.

I am down to two knives for edc as I gave away a couple away last week. I have a Kershaw Leek and a Kershaw Blur. I use the Blur for rougher stuff around the house and the Leek for walks as it fits into lighter clothes easier.

I carried the Kershaw Blur 99% of the time in technical sales. It was dropped, stepped on, dipped in acid and used as a saw almost everyday. One of it’s best features is the tip, it’s fine enough to remove something from a small area, but sturdy enough not to break.

The Leek is a great knife, but I know that tip couldn’t take the abuse that the blur would.

IMG_4710.jpeg

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don’t rotate EDC or fixed blade knives, but I don’t have a large collection of either. I do tend to rotate kitchen knives in and out to spice things up

Interesting, sharp conversation (can't help myself...).

I've been carrying a Benchmade Osborne Reverse Tanto since about 2008/9 when I bought the knife. My dad carried a Benchmade Auto (not sure of the model) for a bit longer than I had mine. He carried his daily and it was such an unconscious inclusion for daily use, he carried one too many times into the airport. A couple of years before he passed, he and my mom were going on a trip and he finally lost it to TSA.

I had a Benchmade Griptillian (tanto point) I purchased at the same time I purchased the Osborne and ultimately gave it to a friend of mine. It was a lovely knife, just a bit too small for my taste. At some point I hand polished the Osborne to a mirror finish and finally got over trying to keep it pristine new and changed the edge to convex (Japanese water stones and leather strop): shaving sharp.

I also carry a Nitecore MT10A daily. It's a good size in the pocket and runs off a single AA.

I recently scored a CRKT Provoke and ordered a kydex sheath from Black Bear Custom Kydex. I haven't quite figured out the most comfortable way to carry this yet, so I stick with my Benchmade Osborne.

I just don't feel completely dressed without these two tools with me. I understand the value/desire to change out kit.

Attachments

• 20240422_230831.jpg
    20240422_230831.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
I don't have much of a collection. I have a knife in my pocket, one in my work bag and a few in the car. I don't rotate. They go until they don't then they sit in a box in a desk drawer at home.

Those that are carried to get nicer clips and are more prone to being super sharp instead of just sharp enough. My pocket most days is a Spyderco Delica 4 with a deep carry clip. The bag had a Kershaw Leek with a deeper carry clip and a random fixed blade. The car has a couple different fixed blades depending on what compartment you're grabbing from but also another Kershaw Leek.

I have a Kershaw 1776 Link that is always on me when I wear my duty gear. I don't carry a back up gun, so it is my backup.

In civilian attire it's either a SAK tinker (the bigger one) or a Case sow belly (my "dress knife"). Though I don't really collect knives yet, it's probably coming. I see a lot of vintage US made Old Timers and Uncle Henry's are still relatively inexpensive on ebay. They literally made millions (and millions) of those knives, so it makes sense that they are still available for cheap. I may pick up a few (dozen?) While the gettin is good

It depends on where I'll be, what I'm doing, what I'm wearing, and maybe what the weather is like.

At work, running around in civilized areas, or out for walks in the more rural open spaces can dictate what I carry size wise. What I might carry/use out on a hike might give some people a case of the vapors at work.

Not all pants pockets or pocket openings are made the same size and the weight of the material will vary, too; usually lighter knives for lighter weight material. Different knives will take up more or less real estate mainly at the pocket opening so I'll carry one with a smaller handle, or deeper carry so it doesn't keep my hand from slipping into or out of my pocket.

Working around the house I'll carry a knife with a tougher steel to keep from beating up the edge. If the weather is rainy and damp I'll carry knives with more corrosion resistant steel.

When I did environmental enforcement, pre-retirement, my carry knife varied from a small Case pocket folder for office, to a 3" belt folder for routine inspections, to a 4" fixed blade for illegal or unknown sites. Since retirement, my pocket carry when leaving the house has been a Spyderco Delica 4 (my all-time favorite). In my car console is a large Honey Badger Serrated Claw, and a multi-tool. In my trunk is a folding utility knife, and a 4" Morakniv fixed blade. In my wife's glove box, our main car, is a Columbia River Knife M16-13ZLEK. Hanging next to our apartment door is a Morakniv Eldris neck knife which my wife wears when going for a walk.

When I did environmental enforcement, pre-retirement, my carry knife varied from a small Case pocket folder for office, to a 3" belt folder for routine inspections, to a 4" fixed blade for illegal or unknown sites. Since retirement, my pocket carry when leaving the house has been a Spyderco Delica 4 (my all-time favorite). In my car console is a large Honey Badger Serrated Claw, and a multi-tool. In my trunk is a folding utility knife, and a 4" Morakniv fixed blade. In my wife's glove box, our main car, is a Columbia River Knife M16-13ZLEK. Hanging next to our apartment door is a Morakniv Eldris neck knife which my wife wears when going for a walk.

Have you had the chance to handle the (newish) Spyderco Endela yet? Yes it’s a compromise between the Endura and Delica but a good one in my opinion - kind like the Glock 19X. More purchase on the handle without an overly long blade.

49D07353-227A-4430-92CA-AB9F4BBD1840.jpeg

Top Bottom