What's new

Favourite Youtube Shaver

When I first adopted DE and straight razor shaving as a hobby, I did consult quite regularly with YT and also had my favourites, for different reasons.
In strict terms of "learning", I think I got most out of "Mantic59" as for DE shaving, and for straight razor shaving, it was probably Jonathan Romanov (noone else seems to mention him here).
As for learning, I gradually found that I learnt less. Instead I also discovered that many shaving Youtubers where quite ridiculous, for various reasons (e.g. pretentious and actually not very knowledgeable). One of my favourites in this regard is Anthony Esposito aka the "Stallion"
Mr Stallion Cultivates the coolest image and likes to be a know-it-all expert, especially regarding straight razor shaving, but the more I watched his videos, the more hopeless and uninformed I found his advice. He was the one who first made me wonder about why so many straight razor Youtubers will sport a goatee (obviously avoiding all the hardest spots to shave with a straight razor, so that it looks quick and easy). I still enjoy watching him on Youtube, if only to have a good chuckle. And I still have a stack of dismal soaps that he recommended as some of the very best he knew .... oh well.

Another fellow I find even more ridiculous, is Mr "SoSharpDavid" ... on closer inspection it is quite obvious that he is a big fan of Mr "Stallion" and "seriously" tries to imitate the Stallion in a number of ways (as I have elaborated here). But SoSharpDavid is even less convincing than the Stallion, and the result makes for hilarious entertainment.

Of course, back in the day, there was also good old "shaveBusta". He was, it seemed, self-consciously ridiculous. Unfortunately he deleted all his videos, he only still appears on some of the "Roundtables" organized by the guy from "Phoenix" (forgot his name).

Mr Stallion Cultivates the coolest image and likes to be a know-it-all expert, especially regarding straight razor shaving, but the more I watched his videos, the more hopeless and uninformed I found his advice.
I only watched him because he favored Savile Row brushes, which I also did at the time, and finding SR brush videos was a difficult task.

Lately, it has been "Ohio Shaves". Maybe just because local kid makes good. Even if I suspect he lives north of I-70.

I also watch Greg Tardif and Heiko Shaves.

I won't say the name of the one I really don't care for. I don't like the frenetic, 1970s Robin Williams stand up while on cocaine energy he infuses into his videos.

I've watched most of the channels listed before. The channels I've been watching lately are smaller in comparison, but enjoyable:

johnshaves101
The GroomsMen
ColetteClassicSupplyCo
Mully_Shaves
Long Island Shaving
Marion the Barbarian
Mikeyshaves
Randy Shaves
SIG SOLO

I have watched a lot of them.
Very difficult to pick a favorite one.
For example, i liked Kevy shaves and thought he was giving correct info until he started doing i think about 3 long video's on the Blackland Osprey razor. Was clearly product placement. Same with Greg Tardiff ... and others.
A lot of shaving you-tubers are all about product placement unfortunately ... ruining most of their credibility (not only shaving you-tubers).

I appreciate Mark from Friendship shaving, Geofatboy, Heiko shaves, Glatt rasiert (his video's are too long though).
I also appreciate the craziness of Silky smooth shaving :c1: , and you-tubers who make a whole series of blade test video's.

I find that most shaving you-tubers don't give an enough accurate and precise, systematic review of razors though.
In the end it is the old YMMV ...

Top Bottom