What's new

Fat tip slant vs Merkur slant

Interested in the Fat tip slant, mostly because I like the gold plating. How does it shape up next to the Merkur in either open comb or gentile? Wish Merkur still produced the 37g…

There are enough reviews of these two already on the forum to make your head spin! You'll find that opinions are truly all over the place.

I have the Fatip Slant OC and the Razorock German 37. The German 37 is a three-piece razor that is almost identical to the older Merkur 3-piece slants. That allows you to use any compatible handle with the head.

I find the German 37 very smooth and at the same time, moderately aggressive. Very good for the person that has a heavy beard. The German 37 can also make good use of even mediocre blades. Something about the cutting action, I think.

Despite appearances, I'd consider the Fatip OC slant to be somewhat milder. For me, very smooth and comfortable with good shave results using mid-sharp or sharper blades. For example, blades from Lord Silver Star to Feather.

The shave from the German 37 seems to last a little longer than with the Fatip OC. So, I would say it cuts a little closer.

The best way I can describe and compare the Merkur slant (37C or 39C) and the Fatip slants (open comb and solid bar) is to say that they are opposites.

The Fatips have blade feel and a bit of aggression but are not particularly efficient.

The Merkur has little blade feel and is rather mild but it is surprisingly efficient.

All of them are very comfortable to use though. Blade alignment in the Merkur is excellent but in the Fatips it can be a lottery...

If I had to pick only one it would be the 37C every time.

Why is it that everybody seems to wave "blade alignment" as some kind of bogeyman every time Fatip razors are discussed? It's like an echo chamber around here sometimes. In my experience, it has not been an issue and I have four different razors in the Fatip family.

Remember that in the slant, the blade is supposed to align with the base plate, not the cap. The razor has a helical twist, it's designed that way.

👾 Oooh, scary, run away! 👻

😅

Last edited:
Don't have a Merkur but I have a FOCS. No problem with blade alignment. Efficiency? I shave my head once a week. Last night it was 9 days. No problem, and I go in blind, have to use my off hand. Never a cut, weeper, nick, or irritation and a smooth head. The razor must be forgiving as to angles because they are all adjusted on the fly by feel. I gave two of these razors away to people who have never used a DE razor, who don't shave that often, with zero instructions as to blade alignment, angles, or anything else. The only feedback I get is, "thanks for the razor, it works great". lol

For the prices of each, including the RR 37 buy them both....
The only way to truly know, is when they hit your stubble with your hands...
BFX
Different faces , difference cases..

Why is it that everybody seems to wave "blade alignment" as some kind of bogeyman every time Fatip razors are discussed? It's like an echo chamber around here sometimes. In my experience, it has not been an issue and I have four different razors in the Fatip family.

Remember that in the slant, the blade is supposed to align with the base plate, not the cap. The razor has a helical twist, it's designed that way.

👾 Oooh, scary, run away! 👻

😅
Well, regular Fatips do tend to be hit or miss with blade alignment. To be fair, that is much less the case with their slants and it is a doddle to adjust - and yes I'm talking about alignment to the baseplate (not the cap) 🙂

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The best way I can describe and compare the Merkur slant (37C or 39C) and the Fatip slants (open comb and solid bar) is to say that they are opposites.

The Fatips have blade feel and a bit of aggression but are not particularly efficient.

The Merkur has little blade feel and is rather mild but it is surprisingly efficient.

Heh. See? I rate them exactly opposite. However...

All of them are very comfortable to use though. Blade alignment in the Merkur is excellent but in the Fatips it can be a lottery...

...there's truth.

O.H.

Top Bottom