What's new

Face Soap.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I use my brush to smear cold water on my whiskers and then lather and shave. Before that, I used to use Neutrogena, CeraVe, and Noxzema as pre-shave soaps in lieu of a pre-shave shower.

Thanks. Prior to Oct '23, I use to keep it simple as well. Shower and hand smear Barbosal.

Now I'm deep into wet shaving, I went all out. Preshave and post shave creams/lotions and I'm breaking out like crazy. My face wash dries up my face so I was just wondering if I just went straight into a shave since the brush advertises as an exfoliate, etc. I appreciate your feedback. I might give that a go one of these days when I don't shower.
I wanted to address this, because I also can get bad acne. First are you asking a question or making a statement? I see no punctuation ? If not I won't give my suggestions.

I wanted to address this, because I also can get bad acne. First are you asking a question or making a statement? I see no punctuation ? If not I won't give my suggestions.
This one is a statement. I was responding to an answer to one of my questions.

However, I am willing to hear what you have to say about acne. I started getting it once I started wet shaving.

This one is a statement. I was responding to an answer to one of my questions.

However, I am willing to hear what you have to say about acne. I started getting it once I started wet shaving.
I apologize for misunderstanding you. I also missed this:
. I started getting it once I started wet shavin
I'm not the slowest reader.
Maybe start by eliminating 1 item at a time and see if the acne clears.

I apologize for misunderstanding you. I also missed this:

I'm not the slowest reader.
Maybe start by eliminating 1 item at a time and see if the acne clears.

No need to apologize. It is a weirdly written sentence. I can see the confusion.

Thanks. That is what I am doing. Great minds think alike. I took out my Nivea Post-Shave Balm because that seemed to be the most oily product I use.

I rarely if ever shower before shaving. I face lather and often load my brush and begin face lathering without first washing my face or even splashing it with water - my face is completely dry.
Okay, I shaved without washing my face today. I did splash warm water though.

Honestly, I did not feel any deterioration in quality of shave. It was nice. My hair was a little stiffer, but overall it was a solid shave.

I've mentioned it before, but I don't mind quoting myself...
That's the classic method for shaving with Ivory soap that they published and advertised back in the 1920's. Glad it works for you. Ivory is slick, I use a small amount in my custom shaving soap blends for that reason. Did try it alone and found that I had to re-lather half way through each pass because of how fast it dissipates by itself.

Regarding the OPs question I wash my face with the Liquid Soft Soap we use around our house. Nothing fancy. Then proceed to face lather with my preferred shaving soap or cream for that day.

Depends

Usually if I am shaving without the shower it's because I'm not in my usual routine. Typically this involves leaving early for work or some other function and I'm in a hurry. In that case I'm usually just going to wet my stubble down with my warm water if possible, and take it easy with my shave.

If possible, I've kind of come down with the procedure of lightly loading my brush for just a few seconds and applying that to my face, and then coming back to my soap and building my lather. That pre-lather gets a short while to do some pre-work before I apply the finished product.

I get my best shaves when I can do my regular prep. Shaving without that prep really showcases bad hardware and software though. I have plenty of products that work fine after my usual prep that are sub-optimal without it. I particularly notice this with blades.

Cerave Hydrating Cleanser. Probably the best thing I’ve added to my shaving routine
Sorry for the dumb question, but I clean my face with the Hydrating Cleanser and rinse it off with about 30 seconds of warm water, then begin to lather. Is this the best way to use this great cleanser? Thanks

Sorry for the dumb question, but I clean my face with the Hydrating Cleanser and rinse it off with about 30 seconds of warm water, then begin to lather. Is this the best way to use this great cleanser? Thanks

I do almost the same. I put the cleanser on my face and do a light scrub with the hands, then let it on my face for 30 seconds and rinse. Then I pat my face with water for a minute or use a wet towel to soften the hair, and finally lather. The objective of the cleanser is to strip the hair from oils and dirt, so they can absorb water and get softer

Ok, your anti preshave for whatever reasons. Most of us agree that not much gets the stubble as ready for chopping, then a nice hot/ warm shower. That said when you decide to give in to your passion of wet shaving, and you have not showered, what is your go to face soap to prep your beard and exfoliate your face? Thanks have fun.

Just an ordinary face soap, that might contain some goat, donkey or sheep milk if I feel like pampering my skin, or a glycerine soap like Ach. Brito Lyce, which is also touted as pre-shave soap, but in truth many other glycerine soaps like Pears will do just fine.

B.

Just an ordinary face soap, that might contain some goat, donkey or sheep milk if I feel like pampering my skin, or a glycerine soap like Ach. Brito Lyce, which is also touted as pre-shave soap, but in truth many other glycerine soaps like Pears will do just fine.

B.
Thank you. Donkey milk?

Thank you. Donkey milk?

Yes, just like goat or sheep milk.

Pauline Bonaparte, Napoleon’s sister, and Cleopatra supposedly bathed in it (but then again, Cleopatra is also supposed to have rubbed dried crocodile crap into her skin to improve her complexion). Go figure… :eek2:

Ach. Brito, of Musgo and Mogno fame, produce one (without any crocodile supplement :sneaky2:) that they call

HIDRATANTE (Moisturizing) – Leite de Burra (Donkey Milk) Soap

The Hidratante – Leite de Burra (donkey milk) soap is produced with a vegetable soap base, and it is enriched with donkey milk, which gives it unique in terms of texture, comfort, and skin moisturizing.
Rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals, donkey milk has antioxidant properties, and it is a powerful ally for a young and healthy skin.
With a discreet and sweet fragrance, the Hidratante soap – Donkey Milk moisturizes the skin while cleaning it.

1707482895879.png

Courtesy Ach. Brito

At €2,50 (approx $2.70) per 100g it is not even inexpensive.

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom