What's new

Face Soap.

Ok, your anti preshave for whatever reasons. Most of us agree that not much gets the stubble as ready for chopping, then a nice hot/ warm shower. That said when you decide to give in to your passion of wet shaving, and you have not showered, what is your go to face soap to prep your beard and exfoliate your face? Thanks have fun.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I rarely if ever shower before shaving. I face lather and often load my brush and begin face lathering without first washing my face or even splashing it with water - my face is completely dry. The lathering process, gradually adding water is all the prep I need. For me it is not necessary to exfoliate before shaving as the act of shaving will itself perform all the exfoliation I could need. I try to keep the whole process as simple as possible. That said, if I wanted to exfoliate my skin, on my face or body, I would use a rough face cloth or salux. Were I to wash my face with soap I would use vintage Yardley or Imperial Leather. Works for me 👍

I rarely if ever shower before shaving. I face lather and often load my brush and begin face lathering without first washing my face or even splashing it with water - my face is completely dry. The lathering process, gradually adding water is all the prep I need. For me it is not necessary to exfoliate before shaving as the act of shaving will itself perform all the exfoliation I could need. I try to keep the whole process as simple as possible. That said, if I wanted to exfoliate my skin, on my face or body, I would use a rough face cloth or salux. Were I to wash my face with soap I would use vintage Yardley or Imperial Leather. Works for me 👍

I wondered about not washing my face before shaving. You don't have any problems with irritation? Wouldn't the dirt and dead skin get in your brush? Lastly, wouldn't the dirt, oils, or dead skin clog the pores or even create a rough surface for the shave?

Honest questions. Not trolling.

If I can't shower before shaving, I lather up with warm water and let the lather sit on my face for a few minutes, then rinse with warm water and lather up a second time for the actual shave. I don't bother with anything else - face lathering a soap then shaving does more than enough in terms of cleaning and exfoliating.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wondered about not washing my face before shaving. You don't have any problems with irritation? Wouldn't the dirt and dead skin get in your brush? Lastly, wouldn't the dirt, oils, or dead skin clog the pores or even create a rough surface for the shave?

Honest questions. Not trolling.
The answer to each of those questions, for me, is no. Perhaps some people have specific skin types which necessitate particular pre shave prep, or perhaps they have developed a particular prep out of habit. They may prefer a specific prep because it is fun, or relaxing, or whatever, and of course, they may find that it improves their shave. I am though of the view that many people over complicate what is a very simple process with products and procedures which are neither required nor beneficial, not for me anyway. Nothing wrong with that of course but as I said, I try to keep things simple and this hobby is about finding what works for each of us 👍

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used to apply a hot towel, wet of course, and press it to my beard for a minute if I didn't shower. That didn't really do much but make my face red.

I've found that just lathering up does fine. But I let the lather sit on my face while I do something else, change blades, wipe off the mirror, or brush my teeth. A good lather holds water against the stubble, softening it.

No pre-shave or different soaps needed for me. Just shave -- I use sharp enough blades, no problems.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
No special prep, exfoliation, pre shave or shower here. A warm water splash and quality shave soap works well for me. My skin is not problematic or prone to irritation. Ivory has been my bar soap of choice for 50+ years.

The answer to each of those questions, for me, is no.

Thanks. Prior to Oct '23, I use to keep it simple as well. Shower and hand smear Barbosal.

Now I'm deep into wet shaving, I went all out. Preshave and post shave creams/lotions and I'm breaking out like crazy. My face wash dries up my face so I was just wondering if I just went straight into a shave since the brush advertises as an exfoliate, etc. I appreciate your feedback. I might give that a go one of these days when I don't shower.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I always shave before I shower. I usually use Neutrogena Unscented Bar Soap. Sometimes King C. Gillette Face Wash.

Top Bottom