What's new

Experiences and opinions with FlyDear Super Platinum DE blades

Is it as good as this blade? I'm working with an Ebay seller to acquire these. The Chinese Feather but smoother.
Gillette Rhino.jpg

@Juanmosey Interesting. I also recently got some Rhinos but they are properly termed Rhinoceros Swiss XR.

View attachment 1789254
Do you see any difference between Rhinoceros and Flydear? Not just a difference in the printing of the box? As I read above here on the forum Xirui is the manufacturer. Here is more info. Double Edge Shave Razor - Xirui Manufacturing - https://www.xiruiblade.com/catalog/double-edge-shave-razor-blade
It doesn't say Flydear but it mentions what the blades are coated with Chrome, Teflon and they don't support platinum. The catalog mentions Matgicol and Rhinoceros on Flydear and Matgicol are written Super Platinum so it must be marketing. Although Teflon has its advantages as well.

Do you see any difference between Rhinoceros and Flydear? Not just a difference in the printing of the box? As I read above here on the forum Xirui is the manufacturer. Here is more info. Double Edge Shave Razor - Xirui Manufacturing - https://www.xiruiblade.com/catalog/double-edge-shave-razor-blade
It doesn't say Flydear but it mentions what the blades are coated with Chrome, Teflon and they don't support platinum. The catalog mentions Matgicol and Rhinoceros on Flydear and Matgicol are written Super Platinum so it must be marketing. Although Teflon has its advantages as well.
Sorry, I haven't shaved with a Rhinoceros XR yet. I'm in the One Blade in Feb Challenge otherwise I would satisfy my curiosity right away.

Ospravedlňujeme sa, ale ešte som sa nevyholil nosorožcom XR. Som v One Blade in Feb Challenge, inak by som okamžite uspokojil svoju zvedavosť.
How do you try Philips One Blade? As my comparison of Iguetta and Flydear. There was a difference with the Flydear was the final shave was smoother and more take from which I conclude that the blade was sharper. But again with the Iguetta the shaving comfort was greater but again less take. For me though, excellent both. That's why I was wondering about the difference between the Rhinoceros and Flydear if by any chance either of these products are coated with Teflon, Chrome, or Platinum. As I don't think Flydear is coated with Platinum anywhere else since the factory only uses Teflon. So if by chance there is not only a difference in these products chrome and Teflon but it is really quite possible that it is the same type just different packaging.

I found on the internet how it is probably in reality with the brands Rhinoceros, Flydear, Matgicol. The manufacturer is Xirui.

The division in materials.

Materials:

Low-End: Domestic carbon steel, 214 steel.
Mid-Range: Stainless steel, 216 steel.
High-End: German and Swedish imported steel.

Coatings:

Available: Chromium (enhances durability), Teflon (ensures smooth glide), and the newly added Nitride Chromium (offers increased surface hardness and corrosion resistance).
Not available: Platinum coating.

Steel used

Low-End: Razor Blades - XR Razor - https://www.xrrazor.com/collections/razor-blades?search=&steels%5B%5D=214-steel
Mid-Range: Razor Blades - XR Razor - https://www.xrrazor.com/collections/razor-blades?search=&steels%5B%5D=216-steel
High-End:Razor Blades - XR Razor - https://www.xrrazor.com/collections/razor-blades?search=&steels%5B%5D=swedish-steel

It follows that the top brand is Matgicol because it has imported steel from Sweden. I've read some reviews on Matgicol that it's not a complete disco so I'll stick with Flydear. And as for the Platinum coating it's just marketing the blades are Teflon and chrome coated. If you wouldn't be comfortable with Teflon even if it is commonly used the Iguetta looks like it is Platinum coated.

FlyDear SOTD
SOTD-Knockout-K_2024-02-01.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Pure 18/43
Soap: Mike's Unscented (3)
Razor: 1947 Knockout
Blade: FlyDear (6)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

A superb shave. :biggrin:

My favorite Closed Comb razor along with the FlyDear blade (which felt as good as on its first shave) were today's stars. :thumbup:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

How do you try Philips One Blade? As my comparison of Iguetta and Flydear. There was a difference with the Flydear was the final shave was smoother and more take from which I conclude that the blade was sharper. But again with the Iguetta the shaving comfort was greater but again less take. For me though, excellent both. That's why I was wondering about the difference between the Rhinoceros and Flydear if by any chance either of these products are coated with Teflon, Chrome, or Platinum. As I don't think Flydear is coated with Platinum anywhere else since the factory only uses Teflon. So if by chance there is not only a difference in these products chrome and Teflon but it is really quite possible that it is the same type just different packaging.
I haven't heard of a Philips One razor blade. If you mean instead the various Russian Gillette blades made by PPI, I can say I do not feel the FlyDear cuts as sharply as a Nacet. It's probably similar to an Astra or just a bit below with pure cutting ability in my opinion.

This is based on a couple of shaves. I haven't taken the FlyDear for an extended test yet.

I haven't heard of a Philips One razor blade. If you mean instead the various Russian Gillette blades made by PPI, I can say I do not feel the FlyDear cuts as sharply as a Nacet. It's probably similar to an Astra or just a bit below with pure cutting ability in my opinion.

This is based on a couple of shaves. I haven't taken the FlyDear for an extended test yet.
I can't even claim that because I haven't used Nacet or Voskhod which I know is Teflon coated. I've only done comparisons with Iguetta and with Wilkinson Sword and Muhle. Usage wise I can feel the difference with these brands but I don't expect it to be the best blade, but at that price plus the sharpness well it's pretty exceletary anyway.

FlyDear SOTD
SOTD-Knockout-P_2024-02-03.jpg

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42
Soap: Mike's Unscented (4)
Blade: FlyDear (7)

Another superb shave. :biggrin:

The FlyDear blade passed its seven-shave trial with Fly-ing colors and feels like it could go on like this forever. :thumbsup:

Assuming you're in the USA, a seller has them listed on Amazon with a full case (1000 blades) for $29.99. That's a lot of shaving if one can commit to these.

At 3¢ each, they appear to best Dorco and all the others by a few cents. That's quite a large margin, considering that the Dorco is about the least expensive blade out there at 6¢.

I happened to find some ST301's on sale for $5/hundred. Usually they were $7. So these are the least expensive blades I have purchased.

The razors and soaps which are probably more important factors to the shaving experience are much more costly.

So true with DE shaving. Even more so with these!

Last edited:
At 3¢ each, they appear to nest Dorco and all the others by a few cents.

So true with DE shaving. Even more so with these!
I discovered recently that the quality of my soap lather made a huge difference on comfort and the aesthetic feeling of the blade moving on my skin. I had been making it with too much water. I also noticed using a bit of Dove Men with my standard Ivory as suggested by members here results in both heavier and longer lasting lather. I'm investigating specialty shaving soaps now as a result.

I also noticed using a bit of Dove Men with my standard Ivory as suggested by members here results in both heavier and longer lasting lather. I'm investigating specialty shaving soaps now as a result.

Probably it has better lubrication than Ivory?

Do yourself a favor. Try one can of Gillete or Edge shaving gel. I think you will find that it will give you the lubrication you need for that close shave and protection for your face. You can't quite get there with ordinary hand soap.

If nothing else, it will give you a good baseline from which to compare specialty shaving soaps. A can of gel will set you back about $3.50.

Specialty shaving soaps are a mixed lot. Most of the inexpensive soaps really aren't very good. They make lather but the lather quickly goes away. Your better soaps will start around $14.

IMG20240204102648.jpg
Shaving foam is not ultimately good. I'm not saying someone can get away with a normal shave. The problem with shaving foam and most soaps is that they contain little grease and dry quickly. You don't need a lot of lather to shave but you do need your razor to glide across your face and that's what grease or oil will do. I make my shaving soap myself it contains more fat and the cost of making it at 140g was around 0,60 Euro. I'm attaching a photo of what my shaving soap looks like + today FlyDear second round, after shaving my body and face from last time so great shave again today. I found this soap I said I will try this special natural soap and use it for shaving it should arrive in 5 days, it is basically with 100% olive oil I want to try if I can shave with such a minimum. The price of the soap is 1,90 Euro for a 200g pack.

Natural Olive Oil Soap

@cranewarrior you cannot beat arko at the frugal end of shaving soaps.At least in the slickness and lather quality compartment. Not so much scentwise. It has lot of fans here in BB.

I have heard good things here about Arko. May give it a try this year?

I don't care at all about not having a wonderful scent. I am not buying it for perfume, just to get the shave done.

There are aftershaves and colones for the fragrance.

Shaving foam is not ultimately good. I'm not saying someone can get away with a normal shave. The problem with shaving foam and most soaps is that they contain little grease and dry quickly. You don't need a lot of lather to shave but you do need your razor to glide across your face and that's what grease or oil will do

I agree. I will comment that it is important to know that gels are a different product than canned foams. Foams mostly sit on the top of your skin and provide little lubrication or protection.

Here is a video on the subject:

I will note, there are not any exotic materials in ordinary canned shaving gel. But the chemicals used are similar to the chemicals found in ordinary soaps. I have fair to average sensitive skin and I have no issues with these gel products.

After I do my touch-ups, I rinse my face thoroughly with water to remove the residual product.
The secret to these gels is that they contain a lubricant that is similar to the fats found in shaving soaps.

The main difference is that they are purposely water soluble so they don't clog cartridge blades and can be rinsed clear with water.

Probably save quite a bit of money making your own shaving soap!

8th FlyDear SOTD
SOTD-Knockout-O_2024-02-06.jpg

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42
Soap: Mike's Unscented (5)
Blade: FlyDear (8)

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Top Bottom