What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my Martha Stewart Cast Iron Dutch Oven. I made some Turkey Chili and homemade cast iron cornbread. Wife approved.

$IMG_0312.jpg$IMG_0313.jpg$IMG_0314.jpg$IMG_0315.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice pot Aaron. I see what you mean about the handles, they are man size handles. The Chili & cornbread also looks great.
Using my pot over the past week has me wanting a round mid or large pot. Something that fits the element or close to it and does not need a truck load to fill it. My pot weight 8.3kg / 18.3lb empty, so dropping down a size will help with weight as well.

I checked out a Le Creuset yesterday. The fit and finish was much better than what I have. The lid looked to sit more flat and the enamel was smoother.
I just looked at a Martha Stewart 6Qt. On sale at $142NZD with $86NZD shipping. That is still cheaper than the Le Creuset
Martha Stewart delivered from the US $228 & Le Creuset $378 delivered from NZ.
What size is yours?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice pot Aaron. I see what you mean about the handles, they are man size handles. The Chili & cornbread also looks great.
Using my pot over the past week has me wanting a round mid or large pot. Something that fits the element or close to it and does not need a truck load to fill it. My pot weight 8.3kg / 18.3lb empty, so dropping down a size will help with weight as well.

I checked out a Le Creuset yesterday. The fit and finish was much better than what I have. The lid looked to sit more flat and the enamel was smoother.
I just looked at a Martha Stewart 6Qt. On sale at $142NZD with $86NZD shipping. That is still cheaper than the Le Creuset
Martha Stewart delivered from the US $228 & Le Creuset $378 delivered from NZ.
What size is yours?

I turned the lid in the picture so you could see that it is a 6 quart pot. It's 10-1/2" inches in diameter and approximately 4-3/4" in depth. I also have her 3 quart pot. The lids fit perfect and clean up on them so far has been great. They are about 1-1/2 years old. I have really put stress on them, stove top and oven. I love the handle on the top of the lid. Great for a good grip. How does it compare to the Le Creuset? I don't know.

Enameled coated pots...great invention and I don't remember what I did before them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm seeing her 6 quart pot on amazon for $109.99 US. What does that translate to NZD?
At todays conversion rate $135. I just looked and they don't ship here.
That price is close to Macys where I saw it on sale, now $86NZD sounds a lot for shipping but these things are heavy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I see your dilemma...do you take chance on an unknown for a lot less or go with a pot that you have seen and touched but considerably more.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's funny how the French can make only two really good products, and both food related. Cookware and wine. Just kidding.

The Le Chasseur looks good and the price is in between the MS and The Le Creuset.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It says it has two coats of enamal as well.
But that big handle sure is nice. I may have to pimp my pot. :lol:

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, you've got plenty of lamb bones around there. I'm sure you could come up with a great handle. But then the dogs might drag the lid off to who knows where.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My dogs know how to talk to me. They would just bring me the lid and give me the look.....chili time......

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I must have a cooking hardware AD as I just brought a new pot today. Thanks every one for their input, it has been very helpful.
It is a Le Chasseur Inferno Red Round Casserole 26cm. French made, two coats of enamel and is guaranteed not to chip or crack for 10 years.
26cm / 10.2nches, 5.2litres / 5.5Quarts. SWMO has approved the colour, so we are good to go:wink2:
This is a different shade of Red from the one I link to above but is $50 cheaper........go figure
The 10 year guarantee and the half price was the deal breaker. Delivered for $255NZD / $207USD
Also buying from NZ retailer has me covered under our Consumer Guarantees Act and if I need to claim on anything the return shipping would not kill the claim.
Now that just leaves a shallow 30cm/11.8 inches approx. 2.5 litres/ 2.6 Quarts for me to get.

http://www.home-essentials.co.nz/Le_Chasseur_Inferno_Red_Round_Casserole__26cm-details.aspx

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Good choice Chris. I know you are going to use the heck out of this thing. My first question to you is what are you going to make? Maybe a braise or a stew. The sky is the limit my friend.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Aaron, I have not decided on anything for the first cook yet. I have cooked three meals in the stove with the other pot, so think a stove top creation would be nice.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well, I don't have a curry dish idea other the Red Lentil Dal you've seen on the veggie post. So you're on your own for that. Teach us something.
No worries Aaron I have this one covered, Lamb Korma will be first up for the pot. The pot is with the courier and I should have it tomorrow. will line up the curry for the day after.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A Vindaloo is my fav' Indian curry and was the first I really wanted to cook, followed by a Beef Randang.
I picked a curry that I could share with my better half, as she hates the hot stuff and ones with a lot of tomato. I need to keep her on side if I am to keep buying more stuff. I cook a Vindaloo for myself when is she not going to be home for dinner.

edit: I just checked out Madhur Jaffrey's vindaloo. I will try it like that next time I make one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom