What's new

EJ89 good bye to an old friend (enemy?

Similar story to mine. I moved to a 1956 Gillette SS for similar reasons. Actually my EJ got stripped threads, then I moved to the one I bought for my wife (she went back to pink throwaways). I was vaguely dissatisfied, went vintage and never looked back!!

I think you should send it to me to get another opinion. :001_cool: I've always wanted to try one. :thumbup:
I considered putting it up for a PIF, but I am a little attached to it (my first DE! - or is it just Stockholm Syndrome?). Also, I would hate to curse anyone else with its terrible shaves.

Similar story to mine. I moved to a 1956 Gillette SS for similar reasons. Actually my EJ got stripped threads, then I moved to the one I bought for my wife (she went back to pink throwaways). I was vaguely dissatisfied, went vintage and never looked back!!
I really enjoy my vintage Gillettes too. I still remember my first shave with my cased minty Fatboy (the second DE razor I tried). It felt like a revelation. Nice weight in hand. Very smooth shaves even at higher settings. The butterfly doors made blade changes a breeze. Fantastic razors.

Haven't tried a super speed, but I am sure I will get around to it one of these days!

Got my father EJ89 - he loves it with the Astra blades. BTW, he getting about month of good shaves from each - gives me creeps just thinking about it. He think it's the marvellous razor - compared with those DE razors he shaved with in his youth (mass-produced USSR razor and blades).

I also had an EJ89 lined handle that would always seem to nick me and give weepers whereas my vintage Slim or Tech didn't. However, I will say that the plating and the overall razor were gorgeous...

Top Bottom