What's new

EJ89 good bye to an old friend (enemy?

Sorry for the long post, just had to get some things offmy chest in relation to the EJ89.

The too long didn’t read version: This was the razor I learned with; always had trouble with irritation. Tried it again, still have irritation. Anyone else not like the EJ 89?

I have enjoyed vintage Gillettes (a Fatboy and a Slim) as well as my Feather ASD2. However, I started DE shaving with an Edwin Jagger 89 LBL and I was curious if improvements in my techniques over the last few months are actually what have improved my shaving more so than my choice of razor.

Two days ago I dusted off the old EJ. The chrome plating and finish remain excellent, but its weight in hand was disappointing. I realize this does not necessarily impact the shave, so onward I go!

I chose my most reliable tools – my EJ best badger brush (I love but am still mastering my Simpson Chubby 2, so went with what I can most consistently use best), a Polsilver Super Iridium razor blade (which I have used with great success in my vintage Gillettes), and Tabac shaving soap (needs no explanation). Shaved immediately after showing as usual.

With the EJ89LBL in hand I went to work. Paying careful attention to the shave angle as well as being meticulous about going perfectly with the grain on my first pass; things seemed to go merely ok. I noticed discomfort with shaving (sensation of razor burn) despite applying no pressure. Had one small weeper on my chin (haven’t had a weeper in months). Went ahead and went with a second pass across the grain. I developed a small weeper on my neck.

Afterwards, t
he shave felt as close as I usually obtain with my two pass technique with my Gillettes or Feather ASD2, but it was uncomfortable with some burn. After applying my trusty Tabac aftershave, I had immediate, intense burning on my face and neck. Yowza!

Some hours later I had developed a red irritation along my neck and cheeks. The neck has always been a trouble spot for me butover the last 6 months I have managed to achieve irritation free shaves with my other razors. My cheeks have never been a trouble spot for me since switching to other razors, so it surprised me how much razor burn I had here.

The next day I still had significant neck irritation so I took a day off (shaving, not work!).

Day 3 (today) I decided to try a bit of a control group by using the same polsilver blade in a Fatboy, which I set to 6. All the other products and technique were the same. I got my usual irritation free excellent shave. I therefore do not feel this is an issue of technique, razor blade, or other products used.

So what is going on here? The EJ 89 was my very first DE razor. I used this exclusively for months, and while I enjoyed the brush, and soap lathering, and act of shaving, I was never really satisfied with the irritation I was getting. Convinced this was a technique issue I soldiered on for months (about 18 or so) with only the EJ thinking it would improve. I’m still not certain what the issue is. Do I have a defective razor? I don’t think so, visually the finish is excellent and blade gaps appear even. Perhaps my face does just not get along with the EJ89.

So what is the point of all this? Well, I wanted to say a little goodbye to my EJ89, it was a companion for the first part of my wetshaving journey (an untrustworthy companion who would occasionally bite me, but a companion none the less). It will be retired to a display shelf and will not see any more shaves. More importantly, I want to suggest to anyone out there who is having less than satisfactory shaves - the problem may not be your technique, but actually your equipment. I operated under the “anyone can learn to shave with any razor, it’s all in your technique” school of thought for too long and denied myself excellent shaves for months.

If you aren’t happy with your razor don’t hesitate to try something new! I wish I had moved on sooner...

Questions to spur some discussion… Does anyone else have razors that just don’t get along with their face? Does anyone else have so much trouble with the EJ89? What makes the EJ89 so popular?

I had an Edwin Jagger DE89 and found it to be a great, trouble-free razor that was very efficient. It was fantastic but mild. My son needed a good razor that wouldn't cause irritation, so I gave it to him. He loves it, and actually said it gave him the best shave he had ever had. Perhaps yours has some unseen problem.

They are notorious for getting damaged with the slightest bump...But when they are straight they are perfect...I have (and will always have) a DE89 head in rotation. I get consistently great shaves from it, not particularly aggressive but still does a great job. BBS in 3 passes every time, but sometimes I want more so I also use my R41, and a single edge from Germany that is very Aggressive...BUT I always reach for the EJ DE89. I think this would be my deserted isle razor...

Perhaps yours has some unseen problem.

TobyC, that is certainly a possibility, and something I have considered. It has not been dropped (that I am aware of) since I purchased it new, but damage during shipping or manufacture is always possible (or perhaps my wife knocked it off the counter and replaced it without mention!).

I am not, however, interested in purchasing a new one just to find out!

Glad the EJ has worked out well for your son.

What blades are you using? I noticed that Voskhods did not align correctly in mine and neither did crystals. I found the best blade is Gillette Silver Blue or Feathers (which are just too sharp for me).

They are notorious for getting damaged with the slightest bump...But when they are straight they are perfect...I have (and will always have) a DE89 head in rotation.

Perhaps mine suffered a bump during the shipping process, but I don't see evidence of anything not being straight. Glad the razor has worked out so well for you.

It would not accompany me to a deserted isle (besides if your plating ever chipped the salt water would really eat into that zamak!). I would bring my Feather ASD2 - assuming I could also bring a lifetime supply of Feather blades.

Perhaps mine suffered a bump during the shipping process, but I don't see evidence of anything not being straight. Glad the razor has worked out so well for you.

It would not accompany me to a deserted isle (besides if your plating ever chipped the salt water would really eat into that zamak!). I would bring my Feather ASD2 - assuming I could also bring a lifetime supply of Feather blades.
I hadn't thought of that...haha

What blades are you using?

I had the most success with the EJ using Astras. Feathers were, um, not so good. Clearly the polsilver didn't work out well with it. Tried Derbys - that was what I used for my first DE shave, the burn and irritation was so bad I can't even look at a tuck of Derby's without feeling my face burn (probably more newby technique at the time than the blades fault).

I also never really appreciated the DE89. Some people love it, so I'm sure it's YMMV. Glad the ASD2 is working great for you.

I am very similar to the OP. I really have liked the Gillette Slim, but can't seem to get a comfortable shave with the DE89. It was my first razor, and fortunately I got a couple others shortly after, or I might not have kept with DE shaving. I still keep trying to go back, thinking it will be better for this time around, but so far I'm always disappointed and wonder why I tried it again. Obviously it's a great choice for many, but not quite all of us!

My EJ was ok, but the threads just stripped one day out of the blue, went ATT after that, no looking back!

I always copped some irritation from my DE89 when I first started and I then just gave up on it after trying Feathers and Astras in it. I have recently found some love for his little brother "Kelvin" loaded with a GSB, however.

I've had some quite enjoyable shaves with this combination. I may dust off my regular DE89 and loaded it with a GSB for comparison.

I think in the end, a year of wet shaving has taught me how to deal with variations in head design and geometry. I still maintain the EJ DE89 isn't my favourite shave but I can get a pretty good one out of the short handled 'Kelvin' after revisiting it this week. I think part of it i using a GSB - I find it hard to get a crap shave with this blade loaded.

Last edited:
I have a DE89 that I have used with Astra and Feather blades and it has never given me a problem, but I have a Parker 87R that will not give me a comfortable shave with any blade and I have tried at least 20.

The DE89 was also my first razor and I think it's a very good one, but it doesn't work quite as well as most of the vintage Gillettes that I now have. In fact I pretty much ignore it for the most part now. I used it this week and got a good shave, but it just lacks the "it" factor. I hate to say it but I think the zamak head means I can't ever be more than friends with it. I think I'm a brassist.

I always copped some irritation from my DE89 when I first started and I then just gave up on it after trying Feathers and Astras in it. I have recently found some love for his little brother "Kelvin" loaded with a GSB, however.

I've had some quite enjoyable shaves with this combination. I may dust off my regular DE89 and loaded it with a GSB for comparison.

I think in the end, a year of wet shaving has taught me how to deal with variations in head design and geometry. I still maintain the EJ DE89 isn't my favourite shave but I can get a pretty good one out of the short handled 'Kelvin' after revisiting it this week. I think part of it i using a GSB - I find it hard to get a crap shave with this blade loaded.
+1

I've tried AstraSB, Gillette Platinum, Derby Extra, Shark SC, 7 O'Clock Green, Feather Hi-Stainless, and finally Gillette Silver Blues, and the GSBs are by far the best blade in my EJ Kelvin (Astra or Derby coming in second iirc, feather third, and all the rest were really uncomfortable). AFAIK, the head on the Kelvin is the standard EJ89, so it should behave the same as any other EJ razor.

That said, you can never rule out a bad matchup between razor and face--one razor does not fit all...so far, at least. ;)

Sorry the EJ89 did not work out well for you!! As they say, "YMMV!"

For me the EJ has proven reliable and a nice shaver. I simply found others that I prefer!

When I use a new razor, I feel like a traitor or something. Like I have succumbed to the mass marketing machine.

I like the feel and the idea of holding a vintage piece of history making stuff, and vintage shaves better.

I'm open to trying new things, but I will inevitably compare them to vintage, and so far, vintage wins.

Sorry for the long post, just had to get some things offmy chest in relation to the EJ89.

The too long didn’t read version: This was the razor I learned with; always had trouble with irritation. Tried it again, still have irritation. Anyone else not like the EJ 89?

So what is the point of all this? Well, I wanted to say a little goodbye to my EJ89, it was a companion for the first part of my wetshaving journey (an untrustworthy companion who would occasionally bite me, but a companion none the less). It will be retired to a display shelf and will not see any more shaves.

I think you should send it to me to get another opinion. :001_cool: I've always wanted to try one. :thumbup:

Top Bottom