What's new

Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 vs DE 89?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The EJ 3One6 Head is MIM metal, not real metal MIM ='s Metal Injected Molded, so it is like brittle, will not get ding after bad drop, it will and can shatter.
In fact, MIM technology is used in automobile engine mounts and many key parts, which is strong enough to withstand a large amount of vibration and stress.
The main body of the material is still high-quality stainless steel, so the gap between MIM and metal ingots is microscopic metallurgy.

If the drop bends the MIM razor, the force is equally likely to cause damage to the CNC or punch razor.
We've seen people drop their Rocnel Sailor and get it damaged.

I not fan of MIM, it is good for somethings, but not great for others.

Reason it is popular it is cheaper, then machining from bar stock.

I started my shaving journey many years ago with an EJ DE89 and never developed a good relationship with it. For me, the 3one6 blows it away in comfort and performance. I have since sold my 3one6 but I got great shaves with it. I sold it and kept my Rocca…very similar shaves but like the looks and feel of the Rocca better.

Used DE89 for years and was quite happy but fancied trying something a bit different mostly as I was getting a sore neck even with the best pre-shave routine. Got myself the 3One6 and absolutely hated it, nick after nick and still a sore neck. Was about to order Henson when I read about the Yaqi Tile on here and gave it a run. As it was reported to be more aggressive than the DE89 I approached my first shave with some caution, however it was so smooth I had to check I had a razor installed. After a few weeks use I have discovered I can shave as fast as I want as not a single nick. I do however have to do three passes and a tidy but my neck is no longer sore so loving it. Downside is that the damn razor is more difficult to clean, but its worth the extra hassle.

As others have noted the 3one6 is a substantially noticable jump up in efficiency/aggression. While I found the DE89 smooth it just didn't get close enough for me and it would leave me with irritation from too many strokes. I get along much better with the 3one6 as I am able to get a socially acceptable shave without irritation with it. In the future I'll be looking for something another notch more efficient though.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I greatly prefer the Rocca/3ONE6 to the R89/DE89, the R41 though is the only Mühle/EJ razor head regularly seen in my rotation. And that one isn't for everyone.

I agree though that people so often requested a steel version of the DE89, they should finally give in. I mean people from the get go wanted the 3ONE6 to be just that.

I've been thinking of joining B&B for a while. This post pushed me, as I recently compared these razors on another forum. It was over a few posts, but I've merged and summarised below. Hope it's useful:

The DE86 is a very popular razor, particularly with those starting out DE shaving. I've seen a number of people ask how the 3ONE6 compares and if it would be a good "next razor". I think that by now most people know that it is not a stainless steel DE86. Some people have been disappointed by that and some love it.

But, how do these two brothers stack up to each other? Let's find out by comparing the razors themselves then shaving with them on alternate days and recording the results.

20230428_174852.jpg

So, first of all, the stats lifted off the web:

• Edwin Jagger DE86 Black DE Safety Razor (Closed Comb)
• Overall length: 93mm (3.7")
• Handle length: 83mm (3.3")
• Weight: 68g (2.4oz)

• Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled DE Safety Razor
• Made from Sheffield 316-grade stainless steel — resistant to corrosion and pitting
• Overall length of 96.6mm (3.8")
• Weight of 85.2g (3oz)

The razors are at very different price points. The 3ONE6 is +/- 3 times the price of the DE86. Both are really well finished and feel worthy of their price tags. To be honest the DE86 feels above its price point and is one of the most solid and nicely finished sub £30 razors I've handled.

The 3ONE6's handle is very grippy and the extra weight and etching help it to feel a step up. Both razors are very well balanced and fit together perfectly.

The blade is held securely and squarely in both of these, but the 3ONE6 has considerably more blade gap.

20230428_183856.jpg

20230428_183827.jpg

Obviously the 3ONE6 is likely to last longer being stainless steel rather than plated, but neither feels like it's going to wear out anytime soon.

Quality and Value:

Both of these are very well built and well designed razors. The finish on each is faultless.

Value-wise, the DE86 has to win. It is around a third of the 3ONE6's price. The 3ONE6 is stainless steel, but I doubt you'll get through 2, let alone 3, '86s in a lifetime.

Both razors come in various versions with different handles, but in these configurations the 3ONE6's handle is much better. It's more grippy and the extra length feels better in my hand.

Comfort:

These are both very smooth, comfortable razors I stuck to my usual 2 passes with a little tidying.

Despite being the only one to draw blood (when it found a couple of blemishes which the 3ONE6 ignored) the DE86 was the smoothest. It is like shaving with butter. But, if I was tempted to put in more work to match the 3ONE6's efficency, I could over-shave a little with it.

Efficiency:

The '86 was more efficient than I remembered. 2 passes gave a good, generally close shave with a little stubble to feel on the jaw line.

1 pass with the 3ONE6 gave a similar result. 2 left me BBS. On one day's notes all I wrote was "perfect".

The real difference can be seen after 24 hours.

Conclusion:

So, if you love your DE86 should you buy the 3ONE6? It depends on what you love about it.

If you like the comfort but want more effectiveness, maybe. If you want a stainless steel DE86, no.

You'll get a little sting off your alum/aftershave which is missing after a shave with the '86. But you'll also get a longer lasting shave in fewer passes.

That, for me, makes the stainless steel razor the one to have.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think Mühle has also R89 and R41 versions with another handle, and a R41 with resin handle thus turns into a R103. Oh well...!

I already said, the R89 was my first traditional razor and I never got along with it, went straight to the R41 and never looked back. I also like the 3ONE6 and Rocca better.

This said, I am sure @OrangeSport for sure wants to write some similar excellent reviews of the Game Changers and the Lupos! :LMS

I think Mühle has also R89 and R41 versions with another handle, and a R41 with resin handle thus turns into a R103. Oh well...!

I already said, the R89 was my first traditional razor and I never got along with it, went straight to the R41 and never looked back. I also like the 3ONE6 and Rocca better.

This said, I am sure @OrangeSport for sure wants to write some similar excellent reviews of the Game Changers and the Lupos! :LMS

The R41, particularly the GS but in truth all variants, was my favorite razor by miles for years. Recently a Karve CB took that slot though (with an OC plate).

I've been thinking of joining B&B for a while. This post pushed me, as I recently compared these razors on another forum. It was over a few posts, but I've merged and summarised below. Hope it's useful:

The DE86 is a very popular razor, particularly with those starting out DE shaving. I've seen a number of people ask how the 3ONE6 compares and if it would be a good "next razor". I think that by now most people know that it is not a stainless steel DE86. Some people have been disappointed by that and some love it.

But, how do these two brothers stack up to each other? Let's find out by comparing the razors themselves then shaving with them on alternate days and recording the results.

View attachment 1736667

So, first of all, the stats lifted off the web:

• Edwin Jagger DE86 Black DE Safety Razor (Closed Comb)
• Overall length: 93mm (3.7")
• Handle length: 83mm (3.3")
• Weight: 68g (2.4oz)

• Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled DE Safety Razor
• Made from Sheffield 316-grade stainless steel — resistant to corrosion and pitting
• Overall length of 96.6mm (3.8")
• Weight of 85.2g (3oz)

The razors are at very different price points. The 3ONE6 is +/- 3 times the price of the DE86. Both are really well finished and feel worthy of their price tags. To be honest the DE86 feels above its price point and is one of the most solid and nicely finished sub £30 razors I've handled.

The 3ONE6's handle is very grippy and the extra weight and etching help it to feel a step up. Both razors are very well balanced and fit together perfectly.

The blade is held securely and squarely in both of these, but the 3ONE6 has considerably more blade gap.

View attachment 1736663

View attachment 1736664

Obviously the 3ONE6 is likely to last longer being stainless steel rather than plated, but neither feels like it's going to wear out anytime soon.

Quality and Value:

Both of these are very well built and well designed razors. The finish on each is faultless.

Value-wise, the DE86 has to win. It is around a third of the 3ONE6's price. The 3ONE6 is stainless steel, but I doubt you'll get through 2, let alone 3, '86s in a lifetime.

Both razors come in various versions with different handles, but in these configurations the 3ONE6's handle is much better. It's more grippy and the extra length feels better in my hand.

Comfort:

These are both very smooth, comfortable razors I stuck to my usual 2 passes with a little tidying.

Despite being the only one to draw blood (when it found a couple of blemishes which the 3ONE6 ignored) the DE86 was the smoothest. It is like shaving with butter. But, if I was tempted to put in more work to match the 3ONE6's efficency, I could over-shave a little with it.

Efficiency:

The '86 was more efficient than I remembered. 2 passes gave a good, generally close shave with a little stubble to feel on the jaw line.

1 pass with the 3ONE6 gave a similar result. 2 left me BBS. On one day's notes all I wrote was "perfect".

The real difference can be seen after 24 hours.

Conclusion:

So, if you love your DE86 should you buy the 3ONE6? It depends on what you love about it.

If you like the comfort but want more effectiveness, maybe. If you want a stainless steel DE86, no.

You'll get a little sting off your alum/aftershave which is missing after a shave with the '86. But you'll also get a longer lasting shave in fewer passes.

That, for me, makes the stainless steel razor the one to have.
Nice review Sir 🙂

The '86 was more efficient than I remembered. 2 passes gave a good
86 sold many years ago, too mild doesn't satisfy me
I classify the 3one6 as equivalent to a Rocca...I decided to keep only the Rocca and let go of the 3one6

I have both. These are all my opinions Not to be construed with factual numbers. The extra width on the base plate allows for The extra gap and aggression felt to be more subdued than overstated. It is more aggressive than the 89, but not overly harsh in any way or manner. 3one6 Just shaves much much better. If the '89 shaves well, and when you shave you like more aggressive razors pick up a 3one6.

A lot of Edwin Jagger fans wanted t the 3ONE6 to be the stainless steel version of the DE89, but it isn't.

The Rocca R94 is real stainless steel.

I have both. de89 is a mild razor, 3one6 is a medium-agressive razor and walks at the limit of medium-agressivenes. If I give 5/10 to de89 in terms of efficiency, 3one6 probably gets 7/10.

I find that the R94 is more efficient than the DE89. Yet it is easier to shave with than the DE89 (go figure?).

The R94 is very close to the efficiency of the R41, but is definitely much easier to shave with.

In terms of ease if use, the R94 is easier to use than any of the '89 type razors I own.

It is similar in ease of use to the 34c, which is not a close shaving razor.

Top Bottom