What's new

Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 vs DE 89?

Could anyone who has/has had both a 3ONE6 and a DE89 please comment on shave comparison, please? Checked he wiki but cannot find anything, and nothing popped up when I entered the subject here. I have a DE89 and highly regard it. But an also intrigued by the potential durability of a stainless steel head. Ideally, they would both be the same.

As far as i read should the 316 be more aggressive.
If you are looking for stainless steel that shaves similar go for the Rockwell 6s R3 or R4.
After a long journey I would say that matches best. I would put the de89 closer to r4 than to r3.

The 3ONE6 is more aggressive and, although made in high quality stainless steel, I much prefer the mildness of the DE89.

The EJ 3One6 Head is MIM metal, not real metal MIM ='s Metal Injected Molded, so it is like brittle, will not get ding after bad drop, it will and can shatter.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Could anyone who has/has had both a 3ONE6 and a DE89 please comment on shave comparison, please? Checked he wiki but cannot find anything, and nothing popped up when I entered the subject here. I have a DE89 and highly regard it. But an also intrigued by the potential durability of a stainless steel head. Ideally, they would both be the same.
I have both. The 3ONE6 basically has the same head geometry as the Mühle Rocca and shaves differently, it's more efficient and also moderately more aggressive. It is somewhere between R89 and R41 in both terms of efficiency and aggression.

A lot of Edwin Jagger fans wanted t the 3ONE6 to be the stainless steel version of the DE89, but it isn't.

I compared both here. In general I favor aggression and efficiency, so I would rather take the 3ONE6. But at its price point, Razorock offers strong competition with Game Changer and Lupo e.g..

I think that @Iridian accurately summed up my feelings about the 3one6 and the DE89, as well as the price advantage you can find with the Razorock stainless steel razors. Another mild and inexpensive stainless steel choice is the Yaqi Tile. It's still a bit more aggressive than the DE89, but I find it to be more efficient as well.

I enjoy both. I don’t have the 3one6 handle; just the head. 3one6 base plate is better designed to hold the blade. A little more aggressive but still smooth. MIM is not as good to CNC - as others have pointed out.

3ONE6 is more aggressive than DE89. The shave is quite different. If you are a fan of DE89 there is a big probability you will not like the 3ONE6. It is not for everyone. With some blades might be pretty dangerous for users who are accustomed to mild razors.

I concur with what @ivan_101 said. Both are excellent razors, (but excellent in their own way). The 3ONE6 is definitely a more aggressive razor and she will bite you if not careful just like the R41. The DE89 is a fantastic razor, but a very mild shave. I owned both razors years ago but rotated into the Timeless and RazoRock razors as they performed better for me, (again for MY mug and technique).

Another to consider, if you like the DE89/R89, might be the Pearl Blaze. Shaves somewhat similarly to the DE89/R89 albeit slightly more efficient. Not stainless steel (brass), but very nice quality and not super expensive.

I just recently bought the 3ONE6. I pretty much started out, for many years on the DE89, moving to the World's Finest by Fine, which I think is a DE89 variant. Then I switched to a Rex Supply adjustable. However, I am convinced that the 3ONE6 is best, easiest shave ever! Perfect BBS with no blood using Feathers. Two passes with the 3ONE6 gives me the same feel as 3 passes with the DE89 but I go 3 passes with no irritation. I never could use Feathers in the Rex, just too aggressive even on the lowest setting. I also love the audible feedback that I get with the 3ONE6, part of the Zen of DE shaving.
Larry

I have a DE89 and highly regard it. But an also intrigued by the potential durability of a stainless steel head. Ideally, they would both be the same.
I would try a shim in the DE89 which would increase the blade gap to ~1.6mm; that is quite a bit more aggressive than the standard ~0.7mm blade gap. The blade gap on the 3ONE6 is 1.05mm, quoted by others, but blade exposure also has a bearing on performance.
If you want a stainless steel equivalent to the DE89, try a RazoRock Game Changer 0.68 +ve exposure or 0.84; both seem to be highly recommended.

Top Bottom