What's new

Editorial: Should MÜHLE enter the slant market?

I was thinking about the potential of a possible MÜHLE slant razor, and about how difficult the decision must be for them to manufacture one.

On one side of the balance:
  1. I've been watching various discussions regarding a possible slant-bar razor. To be honest, a hundred people saying they would buy one is not all that impressive. MÜHLE would be foolish to design and re-tool for 100 or even 500 potential customers, would it not?
  2. I am personally convinced that the R41 does what slants hope to do: deliver a very close and comfortable shave. From that perspective it would be redundant, and potentially compete against itself.
  3. Design, tooling and manufacturing costs must be substantial.
Today, I began to reflect on other considerations that may argue in favor of producing a slant:

1. There is a market for slants within the shaving community. It seems that owning a slant is a right-of-passage for some, and a necessity for others. Admittedly, my crowd tends to prefer aggressive razors, and nearly all of us own at least one slant. I personally would want one to fill the gap between the R89 and the R41.
  2. Currently, only one brand manufactures modern slants. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that they own 100% of the modern slant market.
  3. MÜHLE and its associated brands have had a big impact on the overall modern DE market.
If MÜHLE currently has "X" share of the overall DE market, does it make sense to ignore the possibility of an equivalent share of the slant market? Its reputation for high quality, high value products is their strength. It has a loyal following that would welcome an opportunity to buy a MÜHLE slant. Why ignore the chance of putting a substantial dent in current market-share for new slants?

I understand business decisions made for business' sake, and would understand if MÜHLE has reviewed this situation and simply, dismissed it. It would seem to me that a little competition in this arena might benefit MÜHLE, but admittedly, I'm at a loss to know how much.

In any case, I believe that MÜHLE is in the stronger position. Perhaps it is simply a question of whether it is economically and otherwise justifiable. MÜHLE's brand partners and major customers have a much better sense than me.

In the razor world, MÜHLE's razor-head designs have become much-loved classics with wet shavers. Assuming a TTO is likely in the future, why not a slant? From my limited perspective, the question is simple: Can MÜHLE afford not to enter the slant market?

I have no dog in this fight, as the saying goes.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this issue.

I think it would be alot more than 500 potential customers.There are more than 40k B&B members plus thousands more at other wet shaving forums,plus I am would imagine that there are many that are not members of wet shaving forums.
And we all know how if some members like a product we all want to try it,so I think there is a market for the slant razor.

There must be a market else Merkur wouldn't still be making slants. Now, while Muhle is counting coup for their new R41 design, might be a perfect time to "count beaucoup" as a designer with another rival offering. This assumes they can design a different and better slant head, of course.

If Muhle ever makes a slant, I hope they make it so I can just put the blade in there and tighten it down without having to monkey around and make sure it is aligned properly. I love the Merkur slant, but I hate loading it.

If Muhle ever makes a slant, I hope they make it so I can just put the blade in there and tighten it down without having to monkey around and make sure it is aligned properly. I love the Merkur slant, but I hate loading it.

+1 I just got a R41 and I'm patiently trying to tame it but If I'm unsuccessful and need to return to my Merkur 37c Slant I will forever be annoyed by the inferior tolerances that allow the blade on the Slant to wiggle around as much as they do. The second thing I noticed on the R41 after the superior plating was how snug the blade fit in the head. I shouldn't need to put my reading glasses on to load my razor and make sure the blade is lined up correctly. Considering the comperable prices of the Merkur and Muhle offers, Muhle could quickly shift some serious market share for Slants if they made one of quality like the r41.

I would purchase a Muhle slant. I'd like to see it paired with a new handle, kind of like the unique handle they have for the R41 or the way that EJ has the barley chrome handle. My preference would be for a heftier handle like the Merkur 34C or 37C.

I'm one that thinks they should not make one. Slants I think make up a small percentage of the total DE market, and would probably never be profitable. Heck, I doubt they are profitable for Merkur.

Muhle has done an excellent job focusing their product line on high quality razors, brushes, and accessories, I for one do not think it would improve their line in the least if they were to offer a slant.

Just my two cents, I'm not really trying to offer up an argument so please feel free to ignore my comment.

I'd rather see a Twist to Open and even an Adjustable before a slant.

At the end of the day, I think a slant would be great, but I don't know of a modern TTO razor that is high enough quality to replace vintage Gillettes.

Adjustable is something that has it's own appeal.

The Slant to me is somewhat like the new R41 for me in that I can't shave with it every day.

Of course, not knowing their internal accounts/costs/overhead, this is moot, but I think they should. Heck, they already came out with the R89, which is not really new considering it's just their version of the existing Merkur straight bar razors. And then they invested money in creating the R41 and not one but TWO completely different forms of synthetic brush bristle.

So how would making a Slant be more of a risk than the above ventures they've already undertaken?

I wonder why Muhle as a company would want to start moving backwards making a slant that has come in all guises from just about everyone over the years, instead of moving forwards making something incredible, as they have with their R41, and truely leading the field, and any competitor way behind.

I think Muhle should invest time effort funds and energy creating NEW, unless of course they like to walk safely backwards in other peoples footsteps?.
some are leaders and some are merely followers, Like shepards and sheep.

The way I look at it is Muhle's quality is vastly superior to Merkur's. I like my Merkur slants. They easily place among my favorite razors. But, in the same breath, they do not compare in quality and craftsmanship to a Muhles. Is it a smart business decision? I don't know. None of us know. That answer will have to wait till their marketing department runs the numbers. With that said, I would love to see Muhle’s idea of what a slant should be. Not sure if it will make any money, but if the past is any gauge of the future, it will be a very nice razor!

I wonder why Muhle as a company would want to start moving backwards making a slant that has come in all guises from just about everyone over the years, instead of moving forwards making something incredible, as they have with their R41, and truely leading the field, and any competitor way behind.

I think Muhle should invest time effort funds and energy creating NEW, unless of course they like to walk safely backwards in other peoples footsteps?.
some are leaders and some are merely followers, Like shepards and sheep.

I am into walking in the past. For me and at this point in time, double edged razor technology has provided me with my best shaves to date. And, in my humble opinion, the best razor designs to utilize this technology have already been produced. A modern company will have their hands full try to improve on the Gillette Fat Boys or Super Speeds, the Hoffritz or Merkur Slants, or the multiple open comb designs. What Muhle brings to the table is a high degree of quality workmanship. Yes, they have come up with some unique features in the R41, but when I purchase a razor from Muhle it for quality.

I am into walking in the past. For me and at this point in time, double edged razor technology has provided me with my best shaves to date. And, in my humble opinion, the best razor designs to utilize this technology have already been produced. A modern company will have their hands full try to improve on the Gillette Fat Boys or Super Speeds, the Hoffritz or Merkur Slants, or the multiple open comb designs. What Muhle brings to the table is a high degree of quality workmanship. Yes, they have come up with some unique features in the R41, but when I purchase a razor from Muhle it for quality.

Nothing wrong with walking in the past, unfortunately to be a leader in anything nowadays you need to think in the future IMO, otherwise all you'll ever be is a hasbeen, that lives in the past, plus there is never any going back, only going forward, OR you stagnate into others shadows whilst they move forward and leave you in their wake.

"the best razor designs to utilize this technology have already been produced"
Yet the NEW R41 kicks all their rearends, the only thing that even comes close is a straight razor.

Km, i respect your great insight but why would you consider progress walking backwards. many slants from Gillette and other companies were sucessful. So why not keep trying to improve on the design with better materials. They still try to make a better golf club everyday,or better cars. Why not keep on with a slant razor progress too?

If Muhle (or anyone else) were to aim at the top of the market and offer a slant with a brass or stainless head, rather than the compressed muck (cast zinc alloy) now in vogue, I think they would be a commercial success.

Km, i respect your great insight but why would you consider progress walking backwards. many slants from Gillette and other companies were sucessful. So why not keep trying to improve on the design with better materials. They still try to make a better golf club everyday,or better cars. Why not keep on with a slant razor progress too?

Improving is moving forward, but slowly really, back in the day when these newly designed razors where first concieved, I guess they where nothing short of ground breaking, so for those companies that employed designers? (Maybe they did their own designs??), thought ahead and took chances with great designs, that are still great today, many others followed suit by merely trying to improve an already known to work design, look at the way shaving has evolved over the years, and that is because someone somewhere took a chance with a new FRESH design, some worked some might not have, and maybe some where stolen by Gillette himself from people who had no funds to get their idea into play.

My point is why not be the ground breaker in the design of something exciting instead of just going with whatever has already been done?
perfect example of great quality workmanship, yet just copies of what has been done many times before, IKON all that is done is what has been done before, they have the building skill to make a great quality piece, yet no talent to design their own from ground up, they buy scan and then CNC a replica clone.

Muhle has the name reputation and the finances to design something new, question is do they employ the right minds to do that?.

Last edited:
It seems to me that Muhle has almost created their own niche with the R41. I have zero experience with straights, but I have read on this forum that the R41 shave is very comparable. Why take the time and money to develop a slant to grab a share of the market when they already possibly have a superior product that would take that share on it's own? In my opinion, spending money to improve on existing design would be the way to go. They could also explore making different variants on the R41 (ala EJ DE89).

Top Bottom