What's new

DS Cosmetics & their Brass V92 twin cap.

Anyone try the V95 yet? Just seems again very strange to off another razor with such a small diff in the gap and a minimalist exposure.
Wish these china models would learn something for say karve and rockwell for example..
When they have a gap change and small portion exposure will be added..
BFX..
Oh..
Yaqi loves a somewhat universal blade exposure of .05
Dscosmetic loves a .001
(Except...the Z0)

IMG_6652.jpeg

I’m happy to report that my DSC V92 has arrived today.

My first impression: this razor is gorgeous. Meticulously crafted, beautifully assembled and Oh my is it shiny.

I can’t wait to give it a try tomorrow for its first shave. I’ll make sure to report back here with my experience of this amazing razor… for which I paid around USD 40 including the prism cap.

A big thank you to @GlazedBoker, @Iridian, @Shaun asleep and everybody who took the time to post in this thread and made so much effort to report about their experiences with this razor. You all inspired me to give this beautiful shaving tool a try.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to look intently at my precious.

View attachment 1840990
I’m happy to report that my DSC V92 has arrived today.

My first impression: this razor is gorgeous. Meticulously crafted, beautifully assembled and Oh my is it shiny.

I can’t wait to give it a try tomorrow for its first shave. I’ll make sure to report back here with my experience of this amazing razor… for which I paid around USD 40 including the prism cap.

A big thank you to @GlazedBoker, @Iridian, @Shaun asleep and everybody who took the time to post in this thread and made so much effort to report about their experiences with this razor. You all inspired me to give this beautiful shaving tool a try.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to look intently at my precious.

Congrats on the acquisition & great shaves with your V92. Do post your experience and thoughts once a shave or a few are under your belt. :straight:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the S9, the first version in steel. The gap for this one is supposedly .86 instead of the .84 listed for the Game Changer.

I really wonder how much larger the gap for the V92 and V95 really are.

And @ButterfaceX has a point, the small difference of .92 vs .95 doesn't make much sense for me either.

I will now resist the urge to get the V95. Regardless how much people might praise it. I will just remember that I am not keen on removing patina ever! 😉

I just splurged on a Saucony Xodus Ultra 3. No worries if you don't know it, it isn't a razor. It's a trailrunning shoe and I hope it stops raining soon. Where is global warming when one needs it! Sigh.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You know where to find the razors, but I just found the S9 in steel and titanium for an also quite impressively low price. Only one cap, but who really needs other than a scalloped cap.

This said, I resisted. For now.

Plus, I put up some Iguana traps. They just give people ideas.

IMG_6653.jpeg

Today was my first shave with the DSC V92 (scalloped cap). I went with a blade I'm very familiar with and which I know will give me a good shave (GSB).

My first impression of this razor is that it punches well above its weight in terms of quality especially considering its price. The blade fits snuggly and is in place right the first time it is installed. Sometimes I have to readjust blades in other razors because they don't sit evenly on the plate, not so with the V92. The blade immediately is in its right position on the plate. DSC also provided a thin silicon washer with the razor. I never used one before and I'm not sure whether it's really necessary but it's nice to have one nevertheless.

Speaking of weight: The handle is surprisingly heavy. This isn't something I expected but I do appreciate it quite a bit. My preference is for heavier razors because it allows me let the razor's weight do its work. That was also the reason why I purchased a Destroyer handle for my Mühle R89 head. I just felt that the original Mühle handle was way too light and that lightness translates to less control for me. I have to add that this isn't an overly heavy razor, it won't strain the tendons in your hands. it's just the right weight to easily let the razor glide over your whiskers.

So how does it shave? I have to admit that I was a bit nervous today. A new razor can be a bit daunting, especially for a relative newbie such as myself. I took it easy and let the razor do its thing. I only shaved two passes, both WTG with a few touchups and was able to achieve a DFS on the very first shave with no nicks, weepers or irritation. The V92 is quite audible which I like, though it doesn't "sing" like my Rocca. There's definitely more blade feel than with my other two razors (R89 and Rocca), but this directness is quite a positive characteristic in my book. At no point did the razor tug or skip; all strokes were smooth and "in the flow". I didn't particular pay attention to angle, nevertheless it was easy to find the right one by feel. I didn't feel the need to stretch my skin and this is something I don't usually do anyway, and I'm happy it's not necessary with the V92.

The handle is good to hold, the knurling is quite well done. At no point did I feel the handle to be slippery or out of balance. It's for sure a better handle than the R89 Traditional's which I feel is way too light and the knurling not as good as the V92 handle. By the way, price is roughly the same for the R89 Traditional and the DSC V92; the difference is that the V92 is all brass and you'll get a second cap and the R89 is all zamak. The R89 is nevertheless a very good starter DE razor, and I still use it regularly.

The DSC V92 is a very good shaving tool, beautifully and precisely crafted, lovely to look at and pleasant to hold. It shaves superbly right from the start and yes, it smells like brass.

I wouldn't recommend this as a first DE razor for someone just starting out. But this is the perfect second or third razor, once you have 50 to 60 shaves under your belt.

I'm really looking forward to my next shave with the V92 parallel cap.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I replace the silicone washers with nylon washers. More solid and longer lasting. It's a matter of preference.

I guess the pattern of the handle is helping a lot, in general DSCosmetic uses an electroplish, so I assume they also do so for the brass handles and razors, that is borderline slippery.

I think this a copy that even manages to trump the original template not only in the visual aspect.

But I am rather looking forward to the next batch of the AX heads. I already have a S9 head for quite a few years by now, after all.

P.S. My favorite Old Spice "Swagger" seems to have been discontinued.

IMG_6673.jpeg

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Pre-shave: Cold Water splash / YBN Glycerin (China)
Razor: DSC V92 brass, parallel cap (China)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2) (Russia)
Brush: Arno 26mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic (China)
Bowl: DSC scuttle (China)
Soap: Mühle Sandalwood (Germany)
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion (Japan)
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented, Aloe Vera Gel (USA)
EdP: Byredo - Rose of No Man's Land (Sweden)

Today was my second shave with the V92. Of course I had to try out the parallel cap. The blade was the same as on Monday. Result: DFS+++ in two passes WTG with touchups; almost BBS but a few areas have been missed for BBS qualification.

This razor is better than my Mühle Rocca, very efficient and yet at no point menacing. I'm not sure whether I felt more confident during my second shave or whether this cap had anything to do with it, but this shave seemed to be a bit easier for me. I had much less blade feel than with the scalloped cap and also less audible feedback. It's difficult to judge from just two shaves in which is my preference, so far I do enjoy both.

I am positively surprised about how good of a razor the V92 is. It's unbeatable at the price point. It cost me the same as my zamak R89 and the V92 is solid brass and comes with these two amazing caps which alter the shaving experience so dramatically that basically you'll have two very distinct brass razors.

I'm extremely happy with this razor and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who wants to try an excellent brass razor without breaking the bank.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The DSC Scuttle looks very much like my Mühle bowl to me. Guess its only a fraction of the price, though.

Edit: Stainless steel, though, not just chromed something. Hmm! Give me ideas. But I rather use a XXXL lather bowl with lid for my 1kg blocks of Cella I melt into in over time.

Last edited:
The DSC Scuttle looks very much like my Mühle bowl to me. Guess its only a fraction of the price, though.

Edit: Stainless steel, though, not just chromed something. Hmm! Give me ideas. But I rather use a XXXL lather bowl with lid for my 1kg blocks of Cella I melt into in over time.
The scuttle is the ceramic one in the back. It cost me around 10 EUR but DSC sells it on AE for around 35. A Georgetown Pottery scuttle is a nicer option for that price.

The stainless steel bowl where the puck sits in is from Mühle. It’s not really suitable for lathering because it’s just too small. It’s more for storage and brush loading.

IMG_6684.jpeg

Third shave with the V92. I really start to enjoy this razor. It’s smooth, efficient and not overly aggressive. Just a DFS today, but that’s totally fine with only two passes WTG.

I got the stand for from Yintal, the razor fits perfectly. It looks quite nice and for $2.50 I can’t really complain.

My order got delivered today which is the good news. The bad news is that they sent me the wrong razor. I received the DS - S9 instead of the V95. Bummer. Well, at least they sent me a return label to send this one back and they will get the right one out to me asap. It is what it is. Lovely synthetic brushes though.

Comparison shave will just have to wait a little longer. :nonod:

View attachment 1820406
View attachment 1820407
Did you receive the V95 in the meantime? Looking forward to reading your comparison shaves... V92 v. V 95... and for a battle with them and Lupo .95, for sure 😀

Cheers!

IMG_6711.jpeg

Monday, May 13, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / Yu Bo Nian Glycerin Skin Care(CN)
Razor: DSC V92 brass razor, scalloped cap (CN)
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (CN)
Brush: Arno 25mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic (CN)
Bowl: DSC scuttle (CN)
Soap: Smoking Monster - Red Dragon (tallow) (CN)
A/S: Two Girls - Florida Water (decant / diluted) (CN)
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gelly (USA)
EdP: Armani Privé - Thé Yulong (IT)

My fifth shave with the DSC V92. It's a hell of a razor, consistently providing me with exceptional good shaves. It is starting to become my favorite razor and I can't start to describe how glad I am that I purchased this beauty on the tremendous advice and recommendations I have found on this thread. The V92 hasn't given me any irritation, nicks, or weepers so far, only reliable and efficient shaves. Truly and exceptional tool.

Incidentally today's shave is an all Chinese setup (except the EdP and Aloe Vera aftercare, but the EdP fragrance is a homage to the high mountain teas of Yulong in Yunnan Province).
We do see in these hallowed halls the occasional Yaqi brush, the Shield razor or a DSC Ti handle, and though the DE shaving culture often revolves around the usual suspects from Great Britain, Italy, Germany and to a large extent the United States & Canada (just think about the lovely artisan razors and amazing soaps), we tend to forget that there is a thriving DE shaving culture and community in the Far East as well. With today's setup I would like to pay tribute to the often obscure and unknown artisans in the Middle Kingdom who contribute their expertise and knowledge to the advancement of DE shaving culture.

May it serve as a reminder that on the other side of the globe in cities like Beijing and Shanghai there are countless refined gentlemen enjoying a mindful shave perhaps with a Wolfman razor they gifted themselves for their birthday, maybe lathering up that lovely Stirling soap with a Paladin brush they waited on for ages. And suddenly we are all just a little bit closer to each other, connected over vast distances through a mundane activity which we all chose to elevate to something special and we may realize we aren't so much different from each other. We are all Gentlemen enjoying the finer things in life.

Did you receive the V95 in the meantime? Looking forward to reading your comparison shaves... V92 v. V 95... and for a battle with them and Lupo .95, for sure 😀

Cheers!

Hopefully it should be in my hands within the next few days. I had to reorder it a little over a week ago. Definitely a shave off between the two ... :ihih:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
S9 vs V95 would also be interesting. The S9 is their take on the Game Changer .84P and if the gap is .9 or .84, no idea, but I find it slightly more efficient and think it has indeed a bit more gap. Now I of course wonder about the V95.

And also kinda wonder why the difference between .92 and .95 gap is so small, these two versions seem barely different IMO.

S9 vs V95 would also be interesting. The S9 is their take on the Game Changer .84P and if the gap is .9 or .84, no idea, but I find it slightly more efficient and think it has indeed a bit more gap. Now I of course wonder about the V95.

And also kinda wonder why the difference between .92 and .95 gap is so small, these two versions seem barely different IMO.

We'll soon find out, I hope.....:thumbup:

For the price, there's really nothing to lose. If the V95 can up the cutting process just a wee bit and still offer the smoothness of the V92, that's a positive gain. If it's not noticeable or not as smooth as it's counterpart, it's only $53 US and I can sell either one depending on which one I prefer. Look at it this way. 2 Brass razors for just a hair over $100 US and one has practically 4 different razors when you consider the two distinct top caps that offer a different shave feel.

All for the sake of scientific exploration and all of shavekind.... :letterk1:

View attachment 1845328
Monday, May 13, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / Yu Bo Nian Glycerin Skin Care(CN)
Razor: DSC V92 brass razor, scalloped cap (CN)
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (CN)
Brush: Arno 25mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic (CN)
Bowl: DSC scuttle (CN)
Soap: Smoking Monster - Red Dragon (tallow) (CN)
A/S: Two Girls - Florida Water (decant / diluted) (CN)
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gelly (USA)
EdP: Armani Privé - Thé Yulong (IT)

My fifth shave with the DSC V92. It's a hell of a razor, consistently providing me with exceptional good shaves. It is starting to become my favorite razor and I can't start to describe how glad I am that I purchased this beauty on the tremendous advice and recommendations I have found on this thread. The V92 hasn't given me any irritation, nicks, or weepers so far, only reliable and efficient shaves. Truly and exceptional tool.

Incidentally today's shave is an all Chinese setup (except the EdP and Aloe Vera aftercare, but the EdP fragrance is a homage to the high mountain teas of Yulong in Yunnan Province).
We do see in these hallowed halls the occasional Yaqi brush, the Shield razor or a DSC Ti handle, and though the DE shaving culture often revolves around the usual suspects from Great Britain, Italy, Germany and to a large extent the United States & Canada (just think about the lovely artisan razors and amazing soaps), we tend to forget that there is a thriving DE shaving culture and community in the Far East as well. With today's setup I would like to pay tribute to the often obscure and unknown artisans in the Middle Kingdom who contribute their expertise and knowledge to the advancement of DE shaving culture.

May it serve as a reminder that on the other side of the globe in cities like Beijing and Shanghai there are countless refined gentlemen enjoying a mindful shave perhaps with a Wolfman razor they gifted themselves for their birthday, maybe lathering up that lovely Stirling soap with a Paladin brush they waited on for ages. And suddenly we are all just a little bit closer to each other, connected over vast distances through a mundane activity which we all chose to elevate to something special and we may realize we aren't so much different from each other. We are all Gentlemen enjoying the finer things in life.
A first-class setup and wonderful words of international understanding with which one can only agree.

Cosmo Jarvis Smile GIF by Shogun FX

Top Bottom