What's new

Dry writing P51?

Legion

Staff member
I was playing with some of my Parkers tonight. I have one P51 which seems to write dryer than the rest. It starts right away, but when I write fast, especially on long up and down strokes, it tends to run dry.

My others don't do that. Is there an easy fix, do you think? Or is that just the nature of this particular pen?

I had this problem also. I ended up taking the pen apart and giving it a thorough cleaning. It was guncked up under the hood with old ink that would not even come out when being flushed with ammonia and water, or being soaked over night.
Now, it is a great writer!

Legion

Staff member
I did give it an ammonia flush. I might give it an over night soak and try again.

I've never taken one apart before, I'm a bit nervous about that. Is it easy to do?

Legion

Staff member
No, unfortunately. Not any more.

I gave it a good soak, then ammonium again. I'm letting it dry now and we shall see if it improves.

I did give it an ammonia flush. I might give it an over night soak and try again.

I've never taken one apart before, I'm a bit nervous about that. Is it easy to do?

I would not say it is easy to take apart, though some say it is. The ammonia may be loosening up the glue/shellac that would be holding the hood to the clutch ring. That is the hardest part I think, once you get it loose, and can unscrew the hood, it is pretty easy from there, Just be careful not to break the hood!

I would not say it is easy to take apart, though some say it is. The ammonia may be loosening up the glue/shellac that would be holding the hood to the clutch ring. That is the hardest part I think, once you get it loose, and can unscrew the hood, it is pretty easy from there, Just be careful not to break the hood!
The ammonia should not loosen the shellac. The only way I know of is heat.... about 145 degrees F. Be careful !!!!!

The ammonia should not loosen the shellac. The only way I know of is heat.... about 145 degrees F. Be careful !!!!!

I thought the ammonia helped because I did not have to use heat at all on mine. Maybe mine was opened already, and I did not know it.

Top Bottom