What's new

Anyone noticed that if you don't tighten the Rex Konsul down it's like using a different razor?

So, I know it seems obvious to say, but I've got into the habbit of leaving my Rex Konsul fairly loosey goosey when I load the blade. I used to tighten it down, not super tight but enough that you'd say yeah, no blade chatter, good grip on the top cap etc. Now I make sure the blade is aligned of course, but I really don't put much tention through it any more. I leave it such that there is some play in the bottom knob. To me at least it's an absolute game changer, shaves much closer to the skin, far fewer strokes to remove the hair etc. Anyone else do this? if not, honestly I suggest giving it a try, I'm not sure I'd be happy using the konsul without doing this.

Every razor with a screw-through cap does that. You can make the blade exposure higher by loosening the cap and making the blade bend less. I used to do that sometimes with certain razors that I just wanted to raise the efficiency a bit. Usually anything over a quarter turn is too much, but you can experiment.

I did once accidentally do my first pass with a Tatara Muramasa when I hadn’t tightened the head at all. The blade was completely flat. I didn’t realise and I just thought “this razor is a lot rougher than I remember”. I had a look after completing the pass and saw my error. But actually it was a superb shave - just very uncomfortable.

Good observation.

I prefer more ‘rigid’ razor designs (that clamp the blade firmly). So I tend to tighten the screw to hold the blade firmly, without overtightening.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, that works! I tend to get pretty good shaves with my Konsul, so I don't add "twist adjust" to the other adjustments I make.

I tried it on my FaTip Open Comb Slant once and there wasn't enough blade tension in that already somewhat "loosey-goosey" razor to hold things together and it opened up even more on me. Lost a little blood and said a few words I say too often anyway.

I've used a few almost-flat razors -- Wardonia, Peroni, Razorine -- and I agree with @Mr. Shavington that it's a rough old cob going down that road. Noisy, too, with that blade flappin' around all over.

I usually open up the El Fantasma a little. I have a 3.5-inch stainless screw in M5 x 0.80 pitch that I can screw up through the hollow handle and into the threaded ferrule where the razor post screws in from the top. This lets me open the razor and then jam lock the post so the razor doesn't open up further. I'll make that same mod on the FOCS but it's a different pitch (M4.5 x 0.75) and I first have to modify a tool to make the mod on the razor.

At the moment, with humidity very low, I've been using the FOCS and the mildness of it is a real benefit.

O.H.

Yeh I should have explained in the 1st post I know you can do this with 2 piece razors, its' just that it seems to make a huge huge difference on the Konsul. If I don't do it, it never gives me a close enough shave and I have to keep buffing the same area again and again. I've just ordered a Razorock Superslant l3++ OC so we'll see if that whips the hair off faster/better. I did also consider, now that my technique is a lot better than when I started, going back to the Rex Ambasador as that has more blade exposure. I always felt the Konsul was actually better at removing the hair though, just seemed to cut a lot more smoothly through my beard with a slant. Which I guess is the point :)

Top Bottom