What's new

Does your High Dollar FP Stay home?

...Btw, yes she was an American woman indeed, but I am 100% sure that she was an exception to the rule, and that her behaviour would not be seen as acceptable in the USA as well!!

I won't speculate on which nations are the worst in this respect, but unfortunately, I don't think such behavior is that uncommon here. I would ask "may I use your pen?", or "do you have a pen I can use?" before picking up even a disposable ballpoint, and I would take no for an answer. Many, probably most, other people would, as well. Unfortunately, still others, even if reasonably well behaved in most respects, seem to have a blind spot when it comes to pens. They seem to think that any pen lying out in plain view is for anybody to use, and can even get indignant if you refuse to let them use it, or stop them from grabbing it.

I had this problem, though, before I started carrying fountain pens, when all that I had was some nicer than average ballpoints and rollerballs. I learned not to leave my pens where they could be grabbed easily and learned to say no. I'm not going to let the poor behavior of others stop me from enjoying my nicer pens. Luckily, I don't have to worry so much where I work, as people know how I am about my pens; it would only be the occasional visitor who might be a problem.

If I do feel like lending someone a pen, I generally have one ballpoint with me, even if I'm not at work, but training the general public to carry their own pens is a pet project of mine.:lol:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, my Pelikans stay home. Most of my carry pens are between $85-$150. But I'm mostly retired and do most of my writing at home.

None of the pens I own are rare so they can all go on a field trip. Most of my collection is MB so loosing one will cost a little coin to replace but it can be replaced.

Nothing against the Varsity, but I would not want to limit myself against those.
After losing two Watermans in less than a year, a Varsity or something of that ilk is all the the general public will ever get a chance to get their grubby little hands on if I have any say in the matter.

Being a newbie, my most expensive pent at moment is $120 vintage Wahl Eversharp, and I've taken it to church. I work from home at my day job, so no fears of others using/misusing it. I also wait tables at night, but I would not take it there.

I am getting some "field pens" as I call them to take to the restaurant. I plan on trying a Baeor 801 (Chinese stainless steel pen), Parker IM (another metal pen), and a Vanishing Point Decimo. All of these are fine nibs, and I'm hopeful could withstand a drop. I will not be letting customers use them!

I won't speculate on which nations are the worst in this respect, but unfortunately, I don't think such behavior is that uncommon here. I would ask "may I use your pen?", or "do you have a pen I can use?" before picking up even a disposable ballpoint, and I would take no for an answer. Many, probably most, other people would, as well. Unfortunately, still others, even if reasonably well behaved in most respects, seem to have a blind spot when it comes to pens. They seem to think that any pen lying out in plain view is for anybody to use, and can even get indignant if you refuse to let them use it, or stop them from grabbing it.

That would not go well with me ...

Fortunately most Europeans had to use a fountain pen in school, so they are not completely alien to them. Though that may change rapidly with the current "tablet generation".

Like others, the only pens I hesitate to let out of the house are the sentimental ones that would be impossible to replace. All other pens in my collection have come to the office with me and are kept in a pen roll on my credenza. So far, the only mishap was someone knocking my Sheaffer No Nonsense nib out of alignment when they left me a note when I was away from my desk. After that close call my pens are safely tucked out of sight whenever I step away.

I will echo the feelings on sentimentality or difficulty to find. I will usually take anything out of the house except:

-My burgundy Montblancs, because my understanding is the burgundy resin isn't produced anymore
-The Montblanc my mother gave me for graduation
-The Plum Parker 51 because it took me awhile to find it in that color

Other than that, anything is fair game because it can be replaced.

I have a first edition Edison B&B LE with a custom crisp italic nib that goes everywhere with me.

I have a Waterman Le Man 100 that will never leave my house!

strop

Now half as wise
The only pens that stay home are ones that belonged to my father and grandfather. Today was my Pelican 800 and a Parker Vac circa 1946

I'm an FP newbie and my most expensive pen is a FC B&B Collegia. I have carried a $400 Mont Blanc Ballpoint in my shirt pocket nearly every day since 1992. I say nearly every day because I just got it back from MB after they replaced the resin, which had literally disintegrated.

I'm working my way up to a Le Grand FP, and plan to carry it with me daily. Figure if I haven't lost my first high $ pen after nearly 25 years, I won't likely lose my next one.

Since I'm retired, my "office" is down here in the basement (AKA Man Cave), so most of my writing is done right here. For my normal out-and-about activities (grocery shopping, etc.), I usually have an eyedroppered Kaweco Sport in my pants pocket, not because of the value, but because it fits easily in the pocket and works great. On the occasion when I might do a lot of writing, such as a meeting, I take whatever pen I happen to have inked up and feels right. None of my regular writers are rare and they never leave my hand or briefcase, so I don't sweat it.

Sometimes the good pens go to work with me. Usually when I need to dress up for a meeting with client/vendor. Then my VP is securely in my shirt pocket.

If I'm hacking around in my track pants, the Kaweco is along for the ride.

Somewhere in the middle is Monteverde and TWSBI.

I had this problem, though, before I started carrying fountain pens, when all that I had was some nicer than average ballpoints and rollerballs. I learned not to leave my pens where they could be grabbed easily and learned to say no. I'm not going to let the poor behavior of others stop me from enjoying my nicer pens. Luckily, I don't have to worry so much where I work, as people know how I am about my pens; it would only be the occasional visitor who might be a problem.

If I do feel like lending someone a pen, I generally have one ballpoint with me, even if I'm not at work, but training the general public to carry their own pens is a pet project of mine.:lol:
I will not even loan my ballpoint. The least expensive I carry is an old black and gold Parker Sonnet BP. Some 43 years ago I let a mover sign some papers with one of the good Cross gold ballpoints and never saw it again. I made the mistake once, never again.

I'm with perfaddict... they all get the same treatment. In fact, if I spend a substantial amount on a pen then odds are good it's my "favourite of the hour" which thereby entitles it to a little extra pocket treatment.

Mine goes out with me, like the lower priced pens.

That being said, it lives in my pocket. When I've finished writing with it, back into the pocket it goes.

I also keep a ballpoint in my pocket in case someone wants to borrow a pen.

I was taking mine to the office, but keeping it hidden in a secondary pocket in my bag. The only time I left it on the desk, someone took it and started abusing it (scribbling upside down, trying to push it through the desk, all but banging it to get ink out - all within like 20 seconds before I could try to stop them). After that point, I didn't have ANYTHING on my desk that a human hand could feasibly take without effort. After a while, if someone asked for a pen - I would take my Safari out of my desk - explain "This is a fountain pen, it is all I have.. do you still need it?" and explain how to use it.

I was never worried about the pen being stolen, just thrashed about like an ogre swings a club.

Your last line sums it up for me. I have a Vista that I use as my daily driver and it goes to work everyday, because that's what I bought it for and I have grown to like it better than my other pens. I do bring it home at night though, just so someone isn't tempted to try to use it, and not knowing what it is, treat it like an ogre's club.

My nice pen goes out with me most places, but I don't take it to work. I am a teacher, and I keep a supply of Pilot Varsities in my classroom. I write with them, and occasionally I'll hand one to a student and say, "Give this a try." I'm not going to do that with my Parker.

Top Bottom