What's new

Does Taylors of old bond street cologne still use that dangerous chemical?

I remember someone saying a while back they use some chemical that banned in the states in there cologne that causes cancer I think calvin klien also used it in eternity?

Anyone know what im talking about?

Thanks

Jim

Hmmmm...what ARE you talking about?

Phthalates used as surfactants in perfumes?

Phthalate based plasticizers are banned in the EU for use in children's toys - the FDA followed suit in late 2008. AFAIK, after a good bit of googling, there has been no action anywhere against the cosmetic use of this class of chemicals.

Seems the jury is still out on whether they have any kind of negative effect when used in cosmetics.

What's up with all the "dangers of colognes" threads? Are people also worried about glass bottles and the lack of child-proof caps? I think that it's time for everybody to take a deep breath.

You can do a search. Either here, on the internet, or on one of the perfume sites if it's a concern to you.

But you have nothing to worry about unless you're someone with environmental health issues or a compromised immune system.

I, for one, am tired of seeing the "OMG product X has ingredient Y which kills everything in sight". That's why we're all soundly dead.

Coincidentally, I used TOBS just yesterday. I can't adequately describe what happened next, but here's an artist's rendering:

proxy.php

Man who would of ever thought that after putting a straight razor on your face that the real killer is the colognes?!

Pierce

A lot of chemicals that occur naturally in trace amounts are added as synthetics since it is easier to control the concentration. I wouldn't be at all surprised if phthalates or even benzene are present in some natural EOs. Wine contains traces of ethylene glycol and I like a glass of wine with my dinner. If I drank a bottle of EG, I wouldn't be here anymore.

As for banning things, the EU banned some brands of English sausages because they did not contain enough fat to be classified as sausage. Common sense is needed in interpreting most regulations. I am glad that potatoes don't contain large amounts of lead for example.

Since I live in a large city, I figured the amount of chemicals I've absorbed over my live time are much more than what I'd get from a cologne.

The most dangerous chemical in a cologne is the one that helps lead to matrimony and children.

If only I'd avoided those pleasant smelling deathtraps and stuck to CLP and powder residue...

Top Bottom