What's new

Do you have any hobbies that your friends just don't get?

I guess my few non-musician friends always seem to have trouble understanding why me and my musician friends always want to get another guitar when we already have three (...four...five...):wink: Even some of the musician friends can't understand why I like to get equipment and immediately modify it.

The guitar player in my band just dropped another $1,000 on a brand new Martin. This would be his 6th guitar (4 electric’s and 2 acoustics). Seven if you count the Bass he plays once in a while.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Take it from me, you will regret it. I made the mistake of selling my vintage Roger Tower Series to help defray some of the cost of my wedding almost 15 years ago. While I certainly do not regret getting married, I wish I would of found a different way of getting money to cover the cost of the photographer.

I miss that set like crazy.

Now I play a Roland, a Pintech, a Tama and a DW set (love the DW's).

Ditto that. Don't sell either of the vintage kits, esp. if they're in good condition. If they're quality drums they probably still sound great.

I've been playing since 1969 :eek:! and only got a kit for myself within the last few years (all of my old stuff was stolen from a storage space years ago). Living in a NYC apartment isn't exactly conducive to collecting drum gear, much less playing it. But I still manage to find time to play. It helps keep me sane. :biggrin:

The guitar player in my band just dropped another $1,000 on a brand new Martin. This would be his 6th guitar (4 electric’s and 2 acoustics). Seven if you count the Bass he plays once in a while.

I have a friend who collects vintage guitars. I don't know exactly how many he has but I know it's a LOT more than 7. :biggrin:

Ditto that. Don't sell either of the vintage kits, esp. if they're in good condition. If they're quality drums they probably still sound great.

I've been playing since 1969 :eek:! and only got a kit for myself within the last few years (all of my old stuff was stolen from a storage space years ago). Living in a NYC apartment isn't exactly conducive to collecting drum gear, much less playing it. But I still manage to find time to play. It helps keep me sane. :biggrin:

Those old Ludwigs, Rogers and Slingerlands are worth their weight in gold. You have to spend some serious $$$ to get a set built to the same quality standards as those vintage beauties. DW's are pretty darn close.

Living in an apartment makes you a perfect candidate for a set of Roland's.

Those old Ludwigs, Rogers and Slingerlands are worth their weight in gold. You have to spend some serious $$$ to get a set built to the same quality standards as those vintage beauties. DW's are pretty darn close.

So are GMS drums.

Living in an apartment makes you a perfect candidate for a set of Roland's.

You know, I've screwed around on those electronic kits. And while they're cool & versatile (& quiet!) it's just not the same. I can't get into it. It's like playing on a set made of practice pads. Nothing beats the real thing.

Then again, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. :wink:

And even tho I'm in an apartment, I live here w/my wife & 2 kids. We have a decently-sized space (well, by twisted NYC standards anyway) but even so there's no room for me to have even an electronic kit. Unless I get rid of all my shaving soaps.

And THAT'S not gonna happen. :biggrin:

So are GMS drums.

You know, I've screwed around on those electronic kits. And while they're cool & versatile (& quiet!) it's just not the same. I can't get into it. It's like playing on a set made of practice pads. Nothing beats the real thing.

Then again, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. :wink:

And even tho I'm in an apartment, I live here w/my wife & 2 kids. We have a decently-sized space (well, by twisted NYC standards anyway) but even so there's no room for me to have even an electronic kit. Unless I get rid of all my shaving soaps.

And THAT'S not gonna happen. :biggrin:

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing like a good, loud acoustic set with a bunch of cymbals. I play in a church with lousy acoustics however and the only way to get a good mix is by using the Roland's.

I have an electronic set at home too (the Pintech's) that are great for my kids. Both are aspiring percussionists.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Very few people understand a sport where you roll around on the floor and try to hurt each other. On the plus side, no one will make fun of you for doing it because they realize you can inflict a lot of pain.

I feel ya on this one. My brother and I are both huge into MMA. When I was younger I studied Judo and Jiu Jitsu. As I got older I started boxing and BJJ. During my past deployment I participated in an MMA contest and won at 185. Bringing my amateur record to 5-0.

I collect Zippo lighters, but I'm sure a lot of people do that, but I also collect business cards. I lay them all out sometimes and I remember what day I was at what place, and it's a cool feeling.

cleaning my car.no automatic car wash nonsense for me.i use a degreaser for the bottom half of the car and the wheel arches followed by a snow foaming,then rinse,then a two bucket method with grit guards and a noodle mitt,then another rinse,then i go round the entire car with drying towels and finish off with the door sills.

the car is also clayed and 3 layers of waxed every 4 months.and to keep on top of it i use duragloss aquawax to keep my wax topped up.my friends think im absolutely bonkers and dont understand why i spend an hour plus evertime i wash my car lol.

For me it is 35mm film photography with a Leica rangfinder. My friends don't understand why I don't use digital cameras and don't even understand what a rangefinder is :eek:

Another hobby is hunting for fine beers, for that I travel to Belgium at least once a month, it's only a one hour drive from where I live in NL. I also try to find the original glassware for a certain beer. My friends only drink pilseners from a can or bottle and don't understand that a good beer is very much like a good wine and that it should be treated as such.

Last edited:
Definitely Boxing...its a rare occasion that I'll find someone who gives a damn, or knows anything about this sport that was once just 2nd place beneath Baseball in the Social Context of this country. Its the only sport that I follow, and I'm passionate about it, and no one I know gets it.

People pretty much look at me like I am crazy when I mention that I shave with straight razors. Then when they hear that I have more than one and some of them are 150 years old, they often raise the eyebrow. Of course, I play it up for effect and make them really uncomfortable. Then there are the Chinese pu-erh teas; most folks do not comprehend why you would want to drink a tea that is 10 or 20 years old. Heck, some of them are barely over the age of a good tea. Then there is fly fishing and fly tying. Folks are more acceptable of this because it is something they have heard of before but love to make jokes about tying bits of feathers, string and other stuff on hooks to emulate something found in real life.

Ah well, that's life.

Another one of mine would be movie soundtracks.. I love listening to them.. I have about 300.. I gotta say, Bernard Herrmann was a genius!!

Some of my other all-time fave composers..

Ennio Morriconi
Philip Glass
John Williams (naturally)
James Newton Howard
Michael Giacchino

Another one of mine would be movie soundtracks.. I love listening to them.. I have about 300.. I gotta say, Bernard Herrmann was a genius!!

Some of my other all-time fave composers..

Ennio Morriconi
Philip Glass
John Williams (naturally)
James Newton Howard
Michael Giacchino

No Elmer Bernstein? The guy had a truly amazing career.

All this "misunderstood reading" stuff reminds me of Bill Hicks in the waffle house, you know, "What are you reading for?". Genius.

People definitely don't get my interest in poetry, and especially not English poetry (as in the language). My first language is French, and as I learned English I watched an episode of The Simpsons in which James Earl Jones reads Poe's The Raven. I loved it. I went on to read William Blake, John Milton, Shakespeare, Robert Frost, etc. People have a hard time to get my fascination with the English language but poetry? Not a chance.

I've had more chance "selling" A Song of Ice and Fire to people, but man, a 1000+ pages fantasy book is a tough sell, even though it's just incredibly good.

I might start (if I'm accepted) a doctoral program in Forensic Psychology next year. My girlfriend (who studies criminal law) and I both have a passion for antisocial behavior and criminality. Let me tell you, when we're in a restaurant casually talking about murders and body disposal over dinner, we get great looks from people who suddenly regret eavesdropping on other people's conversations.

Probably a tie between linux and loose leaf tea, with DE shaving as a close second.

For linux, they question why I stick with it even when I get frustrated at stuff not working properly.

For loose leaf tea, they question how it can taste any better than bagged tea, or why I wouldn't want the simplicity of a bag

For the DE, they simply can't understand why I would go through all the trouble to try different soaps, creams, blades, and razors when I can just go to walmart and get the latest and greatest stuff without having to order it online. My girlfriend understands though :)

Top Bottom