What's new

Do you have any hobbies that your friends just don't get?

Not really a 'hobby' but I'd have to say Freemasonry (also York Rite/Knight Templar).. I currently serve as the Lodge Secretary (Northern 278, New Hope Alabama).. My friends just don't get it but unless you're a member you wont... :wink:

proxy.php

Drumming. I've been a drummer for the better part of 35 years. When my friends see just how many sets I have (4) they kind of roll their eyes.

Reading, but most especially reading ghost story fiction. Old stories, mostly. I've been collecting them since I was a kid.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Very few people understand a sport where you roll around on the floor and try to hurt each other. On the plus side, no one will make fun of you for doing it because they realize you can inflict a lot of pain.

Reading. Being a science major in college and now in med school, my friends don't get how I can still like to read, what with all the books I have to get through just for school.

Along with that, I like hot chocolate/green tea/coffee tasting and comparing. I'm starting to hone my skills on this with my Dad's help.

And by far the weirdest: Dress shirt, tie and suit shopping (not necessarily buying). I don't wear a suit often, but I am somewhat of a fiend for various colors, patterns, styles and cuts of these three garments that are the quintessential attire for men that want to make a statement. In the words of Barney Stinson, "SUIT UP!" :lol:

It's disturbing to see so many instances where reading is considered to be a 'strange hobby'..:blink:

Totally agree. I always encourage reading. It increases reading speed, vocabulary, and most of all it adds to your overall knowledge. Books never need an electrical outlet, recharging or any sort of programming to make it work. Just open and read!

Reading, but I do it obsessively, I can hardly finish a book in more than 2 or 3 sittings unless its really dull or dense. (i tend to prefer fiction.)

Knives, guns, watches, razors, coffee's ('why do you need kona' whats wrong with folgers?' but really I like to try all of them not just fancy stuff.) also i have an odd fixation with jackets... I really cant get very far in any of those hobby's with all my other ones competing. But I'm only 26, so I still have some time.

I am a Tea fanatic, a health fanatic..(my closest looks like a pharmacy with all my vitamins), I am a wine connoisseur in my own right, I love the outdoors and love to fish and scuba dive, I have a skin obsession...(I shouldn't admit this but between my shaving stuff and my face creams I probably have more facial products than 90% of most women), I love to work out and exercise though with school I haven't been doing enough of that lately..., and lastly I have THIS obsession of course like all you crazies out here on B&B!!!!!

just to mention it...it's my skin obsession that allowed me to really get into wetshaving...because it is just so much better for your skin...

Being a canadian - I love outdoors and hiking. weirdest aspect: attacking category III trails in the winter. This weekend they forecast -40F/-40C and I will be out on snowshoes with my buddy...

D

Being a canadian - I love outdoors and hiking. weirdest aspect: attacking category III trails in the winter. This weekend they forecast -40F/-40C and I will be out on snowshoes with my buddy...

D
♫♫ Well, it's forty below ... ♫♫

+++++

Mrs. expat doesn't understand why anyone would want a half dozen or more guitars. :frown:

But she does get the tea ... even pu-erh. And the coffee. :biggrin:

I guess my few non-musician friends always seem to have trouble understanding why me and my musician friends always want to get another guitar when we already have three (...four...five...):wink: Even some of the musician friends can't understand why I like to get equipment and immediately modify it.

That's an interesting line of work. Also, it seems like one of those ninja-jobs. You're there doing your thing, but nobody knows it. You affect the consumer, but nobody realizes just how much. What made you lock down on that as a discipline?

I guess I just fell into it - and the more I do it the more I enjoy it and want to learn even more. I actually trained as a medical herbalist (or naturopath) but now I prefer to do this.

Drumming. I've been a drummer for the better part of 35 years. When my friends see just how many sets I have (4) they kind of roll their eyes.

Now that you mention it, I own two 60s vintage Ludwig drum kits, and have been drumming since 1975. I've toyed with the thought of selling one of the sets, but can't bring myself to do it. :smile:

Now that you mention it, I own two 60s vintage Ludwig drum kits, and have been drumming since 1975. I've toyed with the thought of selling one of the sets, but can't bring myself to do it. :smile:

DON'T DO IT!!!

Take it from me, you will regret it. I made the mistake of selling my vintage Roger Tower Series to help defray some of the cost of my wedding almost 15 years ago. While I certainly do not regret getting married, I wish I would of found a different way of getting money to cover the cost of the photographer.

I miss that set like crazy.

Now I play a Roland, a Pintech, a Tama and a DW set (love the DW's).

Top Bottom