What's new

do you ending up buy more stuff then you need?

I have enough aftershave to last me a few years. The initial plan was to keep it simple and buy one I liked, and use it daily. :blink:

There's an axiom in cycling that applies here. That axiom says that the appropriate number of bikes to own is always one more than the number you already have. In mathematical parlance, that's n+1 products. Think of it as a lifetime obligation to contribute to GDP.

n+1 indeed works well for bicycles and judging by my bathroom cupboard it works with razors too ... however i have not added to my collection for a few weeks and have given one away. I plan to fine tune my selection until I only have the razors I use on a regular basis.
I do have a few soaps but maybe only 4 and i'm doing a rotation on those too not planning to buy anymore but you never know.
As for blades I have settled on Astra SP but still have some Polsilvers I'm trying out otherwise I'm done with buying different blades.
I don't have my eye on any new shave gear and I'm happy with that.

does it happen with you , when you already set your mind that, am going to buy one soap /cream/razor /brush /blade and ending up buying more then one stuff, and then telling your self what have i done. :mad2::biggrin:

I cant believe you do this, i think you may be the only one in this forum that has this behaviour in them

for shame !

:lol:

for the record i think 99.835 % of us do this

Nope...living in a place you really don't wanna be...knowing things will get better...at this point..I use just enough stuff

My late wife insisted that we should always have a kitten in the house. The problem with her idea is that Felis domesticus stays a kitten for only a year and remains a cat for many years. Similarly, a new shaving soap only remains new for a dozen shaves or so and has has a useful lifespan of a couple hundred shaves remaining. Many of us wind up buying a dozen soaps in the first few months of DE shaving, or at least at some pointin the first year, and suddenly find that we have a 3-4 year supply of soap. The same thing goes for buying blades by the hundred pack.

Except here on the forums, very few of us actually have the benefit of interacting with somebody else doing this type of shaving and having the benefit of their experience to guide us in our initial selections, thus we repeatedly head out to web sites and order stuff that we hope will improve our shaving experience.

Except for the utility shavers that get their puck of Williams, Old Spice aftershave and a 5-pack of blades at the grocery store on an as needed basis, I think most of our active members have an accumulation of stuff. It could be aftershaves or colognes that came in gift sets, an extra razor that somebody said was the end all and be all of shaving, or just a few extra blades because another brand just might be better.

Yeah, I mean, I plan to use it all...
proxy.php

I tend to hoard blades, soap and aftershave, I don't bother hoarding creams as they can get funky after a while. There are only 4-5 razors that pass muster with me and I am not a collector so I am fairly safe from razor hoarding and I'm trying to keep my brush collection under 10 brushes.

The funny thing about my shaving product purchases is that I will tend to go overboard on the "consumable" items such as aftershaves, creams, soaps, colognes, balms, witch hazel, etc. because I know that I will use them and they will "vanish" someday. I really have to psych myself up to buy a razor or a brush or a shaving mug because I know that those things will last forever and I will be stuck with them. You say "well, you can always sell what you don't like or use down the road".... but..... I can't because I know that I won't be able to sell them for as much as I paid for them. It's the way my mind works. It would bother me to sell something for less than I paid for it. When I buy something.... I buy it for keeps. Growing up I used to watch my father buy firearms and pay full price for one and then a month later sell it back to the store he bought it from for half the price. He would do this because he was interested in another gun or rifle but the only way he could afford the other one was to hock the one he had or trade it for a loss. I thought to myself "how crazy". If he would've just waited until he saved the money for the next gun and saved all the guns he had bought rather than trading them or selling them so quick then he would have a real arsenal right now. But, to him it was a hobby and it was all about having the latest firearm that was on his mind or he was interested in having. I can understand and appreciate that.... but seeing him do that sort of shaped my thinking now. I have 5 razors, 4 brushes, a scuttle, a lather bowl, and a lather mug and I can't see any reason so far to get rid of any of them. I can see myself buying more hardware items in the future.... but being very selective about it as well. Now the software on the other hand...... the creams, soaps, aftershaves, and balms.... that's a different story. I'll continue to buy that stuff willy nilly and with not much logic..... but it's okay.... I'll use it all up one day.... right?? :huh:

Ben

There really is so much to try. So many scents. So many countries with so many different products.

Variety is the spice of life.

That said, I have an extremely minimal accumulation of products due to some restrictions caused by student loans and being a broke student in general. I'm pretty sure I'll keep things somewhat minimal even when money permits but there are about 60-70 things I'd like to try. . .

I'm only 5 or 6 weeks into this new hobby. Already it's getting scary when I get online and decide I "need" all kinds of stuff. I buy something and say that's it for a while. The next day I decide I'll just get a little more.........

Top Bottom