What's new

Do Voskhod blades get any better?

So I finally tried a Voskhod in my Calypso M2 - well that was a mistake. It was beyond terrible. Incredibly rough and uncomfortable. Do they get better with use? I know they get a lot of praise in these parts.

Maybe it was a bad blade -- never made it as way as the ATG pass.

Personally, I can't understand what the raves are about. I found the blades to be mediocre at best. Not looking forward to using them up.

First use was okay. Second use was great (did awesome on my neck). Third use was meh. I scrapped them after the third use. They are less sharp than the Astra SPs but smoother IMO.

I tried a sample & it was very good & then I ordered a bunch but, they were rough unlike the sample blade. I can't figure out what happened?

First use was just terrible on the neck. Can't believe it will improve at great deal on the next shave. At least it was part of a sampler, so no great loss.

I bought a couple of tucks a few years back. I found that they were only god for 3 shaves and then I had to toss them. They would get very tuggy by shave 4 and would be unusable.

One of our members who tests blades tried these twice and had to bin both of them immediately. I have to think that either there are counterfeits out there or QC is so poor that it's a crapshoot as to whether you get blades that are worth anything. With so many good options out there it just doesn't seem to be worth gambling on them.

One of our members who tests blades tried these twice and had to bin both of them immediately. I have to think that either there are counterfeits out there or QC is so poor that it's a crapshoot as to whether you get blades that are worth anything. With so many good options out there it just doesn't seem to be worth gambling on them.

Think I will be chucking them as well. The idea of a blade lottery doesn't inspire much faith in these blades.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, good and bad.

I used them and got a great shave so depending on the razor you use with them your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is quite different than most of you guys. I tried them in a UK Aristocrat Razor. Previously, in that same razor, I got 11 excellent shaves. I tried a Voskhod in the same razor. With the first blade my first shave was excellent: very smooth and efficient. My second shave good. And my third and final shave my shave was just OK; the blade started to feel rough. I tried another blade and the result was the same. I got good shaves - just not as many as I get with other blades.

In my experience, the first shave is meh, but shaves 2-5 are pretty fine. Shaves 6 and 7 leave a bit to be desired, but they're not awful. They'll be in my rotation until they're used up, but after that I doubt I'll reorder.

I tried a sample & it was very good & then I ordered a bunch but, they were rough unlike the sample blade. I can't figure out what happened?
Same exact experience for me. When I tried the sample blades, I couldn't believe how good they were for the price. Not the sharpest but smooth as butter and very comfortable.

Once I got the 100 pack, I realized that I had made a mistake. Every shave was painful. I expect one or two mediocre blades per tuck of 5, but I didn't expect all 5 in the tuck to be so bad.

I will try again at some point -- I have one Voskhod left. Hope it is a good one! Maybe it will be better paired with a closed comb or a more aggressive razor?

Top Bottom