What's new

Do I need a Slurry Stone for a Belgian Blue?

Hi guys,

I've just sold my Coticule and Slurry Stone (Coticule was too narrow at 40mm) and bought a 60mm wide Belgian Blue Stone.

I'm not familiar with the Blue - do I need to raise slurry with a slurry stone or just go to it. I haven't seen a separate slurry stone for the Blues?

I know that the Blue cuts slower than the Coti at 30% garnets as opposed to 40% with the Coti, but not sure about the slurry raising.

Thanks for any information.

I prefer mineral oil..ups the edge better in keenness and smoothness.. some prefer slurry stones for both sides of their coticules

I would start with a slurry either from a 600 grit DMT or a slurry stone. The blue while easier to get a keen edge is slower at getting there on water only.

Thanks guys,

I'll try oil and a slurry stone (not at the same time) and see which I prefer - I suppose it's personal preference at the end of the day?

Best Wishes

If I were you, get a slurry stone for your BBW. You'll need it. FWIW I use one side for my 8" chef knife, the other side is used for progressive honing. What I suggest, next time you want to sharpen a dull razor using coti and BBW together in progression, start on the coti to get the bevel correction, when it shaves arm hair well, slurry up the BBW and do approx. 100 laps (x strokes) on the BBW, keep it wet, then go to straight coticule/water, no slurry on the coticule, to finish

What the BBW does using it this way (in progression) w/the coti, the BBW polishes the edge, going to straight water coti after finishes the razor. This is a very nice edge, and one that should be tried for anyone having trouble getting a razor sharpened using coti... will be like majic!

read about using BBW in progressive honing here- http://www.coticule.be/progressive-honing-method.html

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

i use a slurry stone with my bbw it is the bbw side of a small bout. i raise a slurry and dilute it and repeat until it reaches the edge i am looking 4. it works 4 me. tom

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a much more versatile hone if you have the option of a slurry.

I tend to use another bbw to raise slurry but a dmt or Chinese phig/chug slurry stone works fine too.

Top Bottom