What's new

Disinfecting new razor

No one ever tells the stories about the diseases they've contracted from using an old razor that wasn't cleaned properly.... Hmm.... :huh: .

Ben

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No one ever tells the stories about the diseases they've contracted from using an old razor that wasn't cleaned properly.... Hmm.... :huh: .

Ben

I recall two instances where we had folks talking about disease from razors.
One guy was someone who claimed that a fellow had gotten a disease from a straight razor and gave it to his wife.
a. The guy turned out to be a troll
and
b. If you gave your wife a disease which was also possible to transmit via other activity (ahem) would you tell her you got it from some trollop or from the toilet seat a straight razor?

The other case I remember was a guy who thought he had gotten a staph infection from his razor, but then went on in his thread to explain he went straight to his shave routine without washing his face, and he never used an alcohol aftershave.
a. Staphylococcus lives harmlessly on many skin surfaces, especially around the nose and mouth. When the skin is punctured or broken for any reason (like shaving), staph bacteria can enter the wound and cause an infection.

I use Barbicide. But Alcohol kills most things and should be fine for you. Scrubbing Bubbles brand cleaning solution can also be used to finish.

Barbicide when I want to sterilize a razor. Use proportionally. Let it soak for 10 minutes.
Plus 1 on the alcohol and scrubbing bubbles...
I'd stay away from any boiling, pressure cooking...or anything that may cause damage to your razor.

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

LoL.....

Any time I've given an IV, be it meds or fluids, I never did more than hit the area with an alcohol prep pad. If that's good enough for your vein, it's gotta be good enough for your razor. No?

+1 for this. No need to overdo it.

Any cooties that were on the razor were quite dead by the time you first opened the box. You then cooked the dead cooties, and took them out for a drink. Soaking the razor in barbicide would only serve to kill the dead cooties some more. I'm glad you didn't use vinegar or boric acid. Then the dead cooties would then be on the surface of damaged plating.

The thing that has to be done is to physically remove the already dead cooties from the surface. This is done by physically scrubbing them off with a brush. Very hot water and dish soap works wonders to loosen and break the bond between the dead cooties and the razor's surface, making it easy for the brush to lift them off. All this done without risking damage to the razor by extreme heat or corrosive solutions.

Soaking in barbicide for a few minutes will kill any live cooties, like ones that could be found on barber's tools after a haircut. Soaking for long periods will damage plating. Alcohol kills by drying - a dip and air dry will kill live cooties and displace moisture, an alcohol soak is corrosive. Vinegar, boric acid, or bleach may also kill live cooties, but will certainly harm the plating if used for a soak.

In the quest for sterility (which isn't the case for a brand-new razor fresh from the factory) people do things that cause harm and damage to their razor, when in most cases a simple cleaning is all that was needed. Sorry for popping off, but did I mention the cooties were already dead?

Top Bottom