What's new

Disapointed in Musgo Real cream

I picked up a tube of Musgo Real Oak Moss shaving cream on my last trip to Pasteur's, I was thinking about using it for my travel kit this summer. I've used Musgo Real body soap as well as the Oak Moss cologne and loved them both but I was a little disapointed in the shave cream. This morning I squeezed about a nickel sized dab of the cream into my shaving bowl (the same amount I successfully use with TOBS and Proraso) I used my Vulfix silver tip badger travel brush to lather. First it took longer to work up a lather and it definitely wasn't as copious a lather as TOBS or Proraso. Then I noticed that the lather that I did get wasn't as thick as I would've liked but I thought that maybe I added too much water so I added more cream. The oak moss scent was great, just like the cologne, so I lathered up my face and commenced to shave with a SE Gem Junior with a new Gem blade. I forgot to add that I did my usual prep with a hot shower and Jack Black Beard Lube. The shave was not that great, I don't think the MR cream provided enough lubrication or protection. Maybe I just had a bad day so I will give it another shot in a couple of days.

Last edited:
I think it makes sense to try a new product out over a couple of days before even forming an initial impression. For me, Musgo Real is one of the best around. I've read that it isn't as "thirsty" as other products.

I think it makes sense to try a new product out over a couple of days before even forming an initial impression. For me, Musgo Real is one of the best around. I've read that it isn't as "thirsty" as other products.
Yeah, you may be right. I'm not giving up on it yet, I'll try it again this week. I think I may be adding too much water to my creams so that may be a part of the problem.

Musgo is quite thirsty though. Definitely one of my top creams, but it took a few tries to get lather right. Seems to be a theme w/a lot of creams & soaps...practice makes perfect. Start off w/a well shaken out brush & add drops of water every 15 seconds or so.

musgo has some qualities that really no other creams have. Good stuff.

MR is a fine shave cream that has stood the test for many years but it can be a bit finicky to lather. I have used tubes of the Original and Lime Basil on some extended trips and found to eliminate any variations I use them both brushless which yielded great shaves.

I just started using MR because I love the pre shave oil and my barber carries it. My first shave I used the same amount of water as prorasso or TOBS, and I found the lather very slick but not cushioning enough. For the second time, I shook by brush a few extra times and added water slowly. I got a wonderfully slick and solidly cushioning shave. And no stinginess by the end, which I often get with scented products. With that great classic sent that lasts throughout, this goes very near the top of my list.

Musgo is an Ok cream but not as good as the price suggests. Best thing about it is the scent, imho.

I've been face-lathering Musgo with a Semogue 1305 and having nothing but success. Shaving can be a cruel mistress, but I wouldn't give up on it yet.

I have a sampler of the Orange Amber. What surprised me the most is that the scent became more pronounced as I built the lather rather than sniffing the sample cup. The scent was pleasantly strong for the test lather. The cream definitely had cushion as I squeezed it between my hands. I cannot add anything about shave performance as this was only a test.

Give it a few more tries.

For me Musgo Real is a nice cream. The only confusion it gives me is that it lists menthol as an ingredient but I really can't detect any cooling sensation!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Use a lot more of it. I like it but it is mind-boggling expensive in the states, same price as Castle Forbes and you use 2-4x as much, maybe more. But if you use enough product, it performs well - but not as well as CF.

Cheers, Steve

I like this cream.I hear sometimes that it is a difficult cream to lather.I have no issues with this cream.I suppose adding more product may help but then again it becomes more expensive.

It's a very nice cream. A bit pricey maybe but no issues with performance. Sounds like you are not building enough lather. Try using more product.

Also recommend checking out "Marco's method" for building lather in general. Will likely help you with various soaps and creams. Mugso Real as a product is not the problem.

Last edited:

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've had several samples of MR and never had a problem with lathering, protection, or smoothness of shave. I do agree with RT Smoothie though. I didn't get any hint of menthol.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree that the scents are fine, but in the cream world this juice just isn't very concentrated - you need a lot of it which stateside makes it a far worse deal than Castle Forbes. I still use and enjoy it, especially oakmoss.

Cheers, Steve

I have been unimpressed with this cream in the past, but today I used a good 2 inches out of the tube and made sure my brush wasn't too wet (the B&B 2008 Limited Edition holds an awful lot of water). Result: one of the smoothest shaves I have had, a real BBS. So yes, you need to use a LOT of product, but when you hit that sweet spot, the results are really worth it.

Last edited:
I love Musgo Real but I use it ,like all creams in tubes,brushless.It provides a super slick "shaving film" and a BBS shave.

Top Bottom