What's new

Different Fur brushes?

I was wondering what kind of different brushes are out there other than Badger. I have a Boar bristle because I can't afford a nice badger yet. I have also heard of nylon, but I'm asking show me your brush and comment on the different fur brushes you know of.

I have a couple of Horse hairs. Since I haven't tried Boar or Badger I can't really say how they compare, but I've read they are somewhere in between the two. I like them.

Basically, there are Badger brushes, Boar brushes, Horse brushes, Synthetic brushes, and mixes of hairs - eg you can get mixed badger/boar, mixed horse/badger. And then there are different grades of each type of hair - though sadly there are no real standards, and individual makers really have to be assessed separately.

Personally, I have badger, boar, horse, and mixed badger/boar ones - and they all have their different strengths.

And one important point is that boar is not necessarily inferior to badger - the best boar brushes can be superb, and my current favourite of all is a boar.

Top Bottom