What's new

Diamond Lapping film

I'm back again...wondering...anybody come up with a progression that seems to work well with these sheets, or are people working trial and error?

Got my sheets last night, thanks again Richard, can't wait to give them a go this weekend...

Are you guys just putting some water on a glass plate so as the sheet sort of suctions itself down? (I know there is a word for that...)

First, thanks again to Richard. This time for labeling the bags. I'm color blind, and would have had a hell of a time figuring which was which.

Second, I just started by cutting each 6X6 into a pair or 6X3 sheets. I have a 3X6X¾ glass slab, so this size was perfect. Little water, stick it down. Smooth it out, go to town.

Third, I know nothing about progressions or other fancy honing stuff, I just used the same technique I would at work finishing metal from cast to polish. I started with the 6µm. Did about 8 laps until it looked like a nice uniform bevel. Went on to the 3µm and did about 20 until I could no longer see the marks from the 6µm. Then to the 1µm. I didn't count these, just went 'til I couldn't see the last marks. Probably 50 or so. At this point, I'd exceeded my ability to discern the difference with my loupe. I cut a piece of the 0.5µm and gave it few dozen swipes. All of this was done with an edge leading stroke. My razor was pretty sharp before. Shaveable, but not the greatest. Bevel was a bit uneven along the length even though it's straight. After the 1µm, I gave my arm a ¼ inch altitude fly-by and littered my counter top with hair tips. Wasn't sure if I should strop or not, so I put it on the shelf and went to bed. Got up this morning and , just out of sheer habit, gave 'er 40 laps on the leather while my lather sat on my face. Sheer heaven on the shave. I'm sure this could have been done better by someone more knowledgeable, but for me this is about as good as I'll ever need.

Thanks again Richard, you are most definitely the man!

Sounds fantastic Paul. That was about what I had planned for my use. Too busy last night to give it a go. Maybe tonight, but probably not until early next week. Jeez...when did I get so damned busy?

Finally had a chance to use my films and hot damn those put a sharp, smooth edge on my blades...

First attempt at honing and got my TI to pass the HHT, well worth the money.

Top Bottom