What's new

Deodorant Vs Antiperspirant

I have yet to find a deodorant that can last all day and keep me not stinky at the gym.

I rotate between taylor antiperspirants and l'occitane. I prefer the L'Occitane loccitan, then just about any taylor, then other L'Occitane ones. They seem to last a long time and smell genuinely good. I wish L'Occitane's Eau De Baux were an antiperspirant, as that is a very popular fragrance between me and my GF lately.

I have yet to find a deodorant that can last all day and keep me not stinky at the gym.

I rotate between taylor antiperspirants and l'occitane. I prefer the L'Occitane loccitan, then just about any taylor, then other L'Occitane ones. They seem to last a long time and smell genuinely good. I wish L'Occitane's Eau De Baux were an antiperspirant, as that is a very popular fragrance between me and my GF lately.

I think you're out of luck, I don't think anyone can not stink after a few hours at the gym.

I think you're out of luck, I don't think anyone can not stink after a few hours at the gym.

Sure they can; they just have to use anti-perspirant. I don't smell like roses or anything, but my pits don't emit noxious fumes with anti-perspirant and if I sniff them it's still pleasant. With deodorant, about 5 minutes into the workout, I'm all man sweat smelling.

I sweat like a madman at the gym - hell, that's why I go. I WANT to sweat. And it doesn't stink. When it stinks is if it dries on me and I keep the same sweaty clothes on. By the way, anti perspirant is not going to keep you from sweating, it's just gonna keep your armpits from sweating. If your are excreting something that stinks in your sweat, you're still gonna stink whether it came from your armpits or not.

Anti-perspirant at the gym would feel totally wrong for me - like putting on a shirt to go swimming or boots to play basketball.

I am still sweating, but my body has not been sweating all day and accumulating limberger cheese bacteria under my arms. Thus, I do not have sweaty pit smell when I sweat at the gym. In order to not smell at the gym with deodorant alone, I'd have to reapply it at least once during the day, possibly twice. I have no such problem with anti-perspirant. I apply it in the morning, then subsequently do not sweat during the day much, then at the gym when sweating I smell like yummy goodness.

Anti-sperspirant is the devil! Not really, but after a horrible case of Apocrinitis as a teen, I've never touched anti perspirant since. The lymph nodes under my arms swelled so bad I couldn't raise my arms. My doctor flat-out told me never to use it again - he said use deodorant instead. A.P. feels like sticky underarm hair spray to me - hate the stuff.

As an aside, I was in the Peace corps in Africa for a couple of years. Upon arriving at my third country language training we all immediately noticed the strong B.O. present with our host-country national language instructors. They were all wonderfully professional people and they were always impeccably groomed and fastidiously dressed - they just didn't use deodorant. The funny thing is we all all ran out ourselves withing weeks and a funny thing happened... we could no longer detect the smell of anyone's B.O! It was still there of course, you just couldn't smell it anymore. It occurred to me that deodorant is kind of a weird thing in a way... within weeks of discontinuing the use of deodorant we realized that we don't stink without deodorant... that's simply the way humans smell. I needed to fit in a professional environment when I returned to the US a couple years later and got back on the speed stick train, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we could put the deodorant companies out of business if we could make it through the first two weeks!

This is a great post, and so true.

I have some advice for the gents on this board having a bit of challenge in the underarm department. I don't expect anyone to openly admit to this, but you will be surprised at how effective the solution is. My suggestion? Shave your arm pits. :eek: Extreme? Maybe... Living in South East Asia for a few years has taught me something. You cannot properly cool yourself without sweating. When I put anti-p on my arm pits, I sweat EVERYWHERE, and profusely. So I switched to deodorant. The only problem is that deodorant can only hold up to so much sweating before most of it's efficacy simply "washes away".... So one day, I was marveling at how my GF's pits never seem to smell, even after a long hike/working out/etc... My next shower, I brought in her can of goo, grabbed the HD and in about 5 swipes, I was as bare as a baby's butt under the pits. Now, here is what I think. Hair seems to trap bacteria. This bacteria is what smells bad, not the sweat itself. I know this because I often hit the showers just before working out, and while working out and sweating like a hog, there is no smell at all immediately, right? So in summary, go ahead and publicly admonish my suggestion, but in private, give it a shot. The hair will grow back in a few weeks, and for me, only my GF sees my pits anyway, and I think she prefers the "no smell; shaved" to the "smell; no shave" version anyway. Good luck guys....

I use anti perspirant. My wife can attest that I've gone through periods where I'll try deoderants and they just don't work for me. I sweat a LOT, even just sitting. This has always been the case for me. I'm only about 20lbs overweight so it's not that. This being said, I've never tried a natural deoderant. It seems that we all praise the soaps and cream and curse the can'd goo, but can anyone tell me if a natural deoderant stands up better than the off the shelf stuff?:confused:

I was actually just having this conversation today with my wife so I searched the forums. I thought why not, we discuss everything else. And here it was...

I haven't used an anti-perspirant for about the past 12 years. They frighten me. I mean, what the what???

I have been using an EarthScience unscented stick for the past three or four years, and it is fantastick. No blocked sweat glands and no smell and no commercial/industrial perfumes.

So choice.

I use deodorants, mostly because I don't have a good answer tQo "Where does sweat go when it's blocked from coming out?"
It's excreted elsewhere (bolding mine):
Do antiperspirants, as the e-mail warns, prevent the release of toxins that can back up and cause breast cancer? All the leading breast cancer organizations, including the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, refute this myth, pointing out that sweat doesn't even contain toxins and that sweat blocked by antiperspirants is excreted elsewhere.
http://www.med.nyu.edu/obgyn/patient/article.html?ChunkIID=14705

Anti-persperant clogs your pores, which is unnatural and is bound to incur some health side effect/s
Brushing your teeth is unnatural and antiperspirants don't work by clogging pores.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question627.htm

Block the apocrine sweat glands with AP’s and some people will develop an infection.
Cite?

Everyone has bacteria growing on their skin especially inside the hair follicles which is where the apocrine sweat glands empty into. Block the glands and bacteria can multiply and elicit an immune response from the body resulting in inflammation. Sometimes it is so severe that abscesses (pus pockets) are formed and must be surgically drained.
I have worked in the medical field for almost twenty years and I have never heard of an antiperspirant blocking glands and being the cause of abscesses.

Hidradenitis suppurativa as far as I know has never been attributed to antiperspirant use.

As I've mentioned in a recent thread regarding "sensitive pits" if you will, I have had many years of success with the Almay deodorant. It is available with no scent or a very light scent and has never once given me any irritation. By mistake, I also ended up using the antiperspirant and did not suffer any ill reactions to that as well. It is availabel as a gel or a stick. Personally I prefer the gel.

The Almay is marketed for sensitive skin and is hypoallergenic. Where most other deodorants have left a burn or irritation, the Almay does not - and keeps me from offending odors.

Rob

I wish I didn't have to wear antiperspirant, but I sweat like crazy otherwise, and would need to constantly change shirts throughout the day. I tried numerous APs before, but they always ruined my shirts, leaving a film on the armpits, and never made that big of a difference. However, if you sweat a lot, you have to try Certain Dri. I probably sound like a salesman, but not having to constantly worry about pit stains is great. The active ingredient is Aluminum Chloride, which I guess is in prescription antiperspirants. I use it once every 3-4 days at night, and I just don't sweat. I use a deodorant in the morning, just because even though you don't sweat, you can still smell a bit. Just something to try out for those who have tried everything else.

Being something of a loner and a jerk......I don't wear either deoderant of AP to the gym.....keeps the other guys away from the bench press:rolleyes:
After the workout, I use the AP.

Seriously though, I use the Old Spice Red Zone soft solid......works wonders. In the past early 1990s, I used Secret unscented because it worked better and didn't clog up the t-shirts like the other stuff did.

The new OldSpice is aliminum zirconium...maybe it is a little different. All I know is that it works, and works well.

what you have to be carefull with antipresperants is that you have to sweat a specific ammount to reduce excess body heat, and if you dont sweat from your armpits, then expect your head, your hands, and other parts to sweat more to compensate the lack of sweat from the armpits,

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use Gillette Cool Wave AP gel 90% of the time. Sometimes I use Tabac deo when layering with Tabac (on the weekends). The Cool Wave definitely stains the t-shirts, but at a cost of $6 per t-shirt and the fact that they last about 6 months or so before I have to toss them, the cost is negligible.

Speaking for myself, Alum works well as a deodorant and I shave my underarms. If you bathe and change your clothes frequently; you should not have any problems with body odor. Add 1/2 cup of borax and perhaps the same of baking soda along with detergent and line dry your clothes.

I have tried many scents, deodorants, etc., and have come to conclude that the majority of them go stale before they dissipate and good personal hygiene eliminates the need for them unless you feel the need to smell like something other than yourself. Save your money.

Scents were designed to cover body odor before the technology to produce good soap was available and when water was so polluted that bathing was hazardous to your health so both you and your clothes were difficult to get/keep clean.

The same can be said the use of spices prior to refrigeration and other methods of preservation.

Speaking for myself, Alum works well as a deodorant and I shave my underarms. If you bathe and change your clothes frequently; you should not have any problems with body odor. Add 1/2 cup of borax and perhaps the same of baking soda along with detergent and line dry your clothes.

I have tried many scents, deodorants, etc., and have come to conclude that the majority of them go stale before they dissipate and good personal hygiene eliminates the need for them unless you feel the need to smell like something other than yourself. Save your money.

Scents were designed to cover body odor before the technology to produce good soap was available and when water was so polluted that bathing was hazardous to your health so both you and your clothes were difficult to get/keep clean.

The same can be said the use of spices prior to refrigeration and other methods of preservation.

true words from the seeker. I was getting lonely at admitting the under arm shave, which has allowed me to get my funk 100% under control. Since I have started shaving the pits, I just take a quick swipe of deodorant on my way out the door. I use about 1/10 the product that I did prior, and have 10X the efficacy. It was as simple as that for me, though the borax/baking soda idea is a great one, and good to do just because.

Top Bottom