What's new

Even the chain, franchise eating places are going down hill.

I use to have a list of favorite places to eat, since Covid-19 the list continues to shrink, because the quantity, quality, consistency, and last price have all gone in wrong direction.

Me personally think the only two places holding on to old standards are Chick-A-Fillet, and In N Out Burger. We use to have a Long John Silver close to home that was good, it burned down, and never reopened.

I will always choose Mom & Pop, local owned places over FastFood. The food and service are higher quality and the pices are competitive.

No Chick-fil-A up here yet, hopefully soon. I'd like to see a Culver's too. When I am in the USA, I refuse to eat anywhere we have in Canada. So when we have FastFoo, it's places like Sonic, White Castle (barf, I know), In-N-Out and other chains we don't have.

If you are ever in Winipeg:

Last edited:
Well the Mom & Pop local places that did good food, good service, good prices, and fair quantity have been replaced by Chain Restaurants, and Chain Fast Food Joints.

Friend son worked at AppleBees for short time, he said most everything was off a truck, out of box, out of plastic wrap, and cooking from scratch was not what Applebees is about. it was about opening a package, reheating, and serving.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I use to have a list of favorite places to eat, since Covid-19 the list continues to shrink, because the quantity, quality, consistency, and last price have all gone in wrong direction.

Me personally think the only two places holding on to old standards are Chick-A-Fillet, and In N Out Burger. We use to have a Long John Silver close to home that was good, it burned down, and never reopened.

I rarely eat out. Last night was a home grilled cheeseburger. Tonight was roasted chicken breast, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts.

I did stop at the country general store at the corner a couple of weeks ago and got a cheeseburger from their grill. Since the new owner took over it looks like they are using frozen, pre-formed patties instead of fresh hamburger meat. Sigh.

The XO and I rarely eat out. We live in a very rural area so, we have been accustomed to preparing meals at home and often times those meals turn in to lunches. I firmly believe that you can’t get a better meal than what’s prepared at home. As far as fast food goes… Panera and Chipotle is as about as fast as I go and, that’s very rare. I haven’t had McDonalds in well over 20 years. It also helps that my wife is from Germany and, I’m from Louisiana. That makes for some awesome cuisine! I realize that some people just don’t cook but, don’t rely on food chains for you source of nutrition.

We have local Mexican franchise, Filaberto’s.

Some good, some bad, not all equal. Owners who pay well don’t turn staff.
Usually it's all about the Mom and Pop Mexican foods in Phoenix:
  • Ponchos
  • Valle Lune
  • Carolinas
  • Rito's
I really must stop while I'm ahead, but Pasta Brioni's in Scottsdale is pretty dang good too

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We finally have a Chik Fil A near us. That and Culver's is about as "fast" as I care to dine anymore.

Been eating at home a lot. And it is much cheaper. And the War Department is a superb cooker. And Baker.

And I am a REALLY good eater.

If we go somewhere that requires a tip, a lot of time it's Leo's Diner. A chain place. Or a steak house. But not often. I'm trying to cut back on red meat. Gout in the big toe makes you wanna chop the thing off!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
We finally have a Chik Fil A near us. That and Culver's is about as "fast" as I care to dine anymore.

Been eating at home a lot. And it is much cheaper. And the War Department is a superb cooker. And Baker.

And I am a REALLY good eater.

If we go somewhere that requires a tip, a lot of time it's Leo's Diner. A chain place. Or a steak house. But not often. I'm trying to cut back on red meat. Gout in the big toe makes you wanna chop the thing off!
My father had gout. I remember the pain he was in when it would flare up on him. My mother would buy him cherry juice for it. I can't recall the brand but she would get it at a local health food store. I wonder if Tart Cherry extract in capsule form would also work?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I earn extra income now delivering mostly fast food... I do deliver for a few nice places as well, but they are few and far between. I celebrate American's lack of drive to actually leave the house and go to a fast food place. <eg> Laziness is good for my business. ;)

Top Bottom