What's new

Deodorant Vs Antiperspirant

Not sure I totally agree. As stated above I had a rather severe reaction to anti-perspirant as a teen - I didn't save the doctor's notes but he said the swelling of my lymph nodes in the armpit region was specifically a reaction to using anti-perspirant vs a deodorant and to his credit I tossed the Right Guard and the quite painful problem went away never to return. Obviously it's probably not a super common problem.

In your case, then yes, definitely! But for the average person without an allergy or irritation, you wouldn't have a problem, at least not to my limited knowledge.:wink:

Deoderant all the way. Anti-persperant clogs your pores, which is unnatural and is bound to incur some health side effect/s. Also, Anti-persperants typically contain aluminium salts, which is worrying because aluminium has been linked to alzheimer's.

I've always thought a-p's made me itch, never liked the feeling. I think my dad is the same way. So I only use deoderant.
Good old-fashioned Speed Stick Original
I've also used the Old Spice High Endurance stuff when Sam's Club happens to be out of Speed Stick

WOW, quite a variation in the answers!!

Basically, I'm more worried about the golf course than anywhere else. Funny time of the year to ask this I know, but I'll keep it in mind for next year and try a bunch more.

This summer I've tried maybe 5 different ones and there's still times I have to walk alone and make sure I stand downwind from everyone else (and yes, I have tried washing!!!:lol: )

Maybe you have it all wrong, Jim. Maybe it isn't you that stinks...maybe it's your game. :biggrin:

Deodorant. I can't use anti-perspirant, as I physically need to sweat or I feel ill. Fortunately, I don't sweat all that much. Deodorant is not as easy to find as anti-perspirant. I've been using SpeedStick Ocean Surf for about 10 years, praying that they don't discontinue it.

I use Old Spice "Classic" Deodorant. I use to use anti-perspirant but it clogged up my arm pits and also I would have to scrub the residue off when I showered. The deodorant works just as good for me. However, I do not have a body odor issue or problem nor do I sweat much.

I use Old Spice "Classic" Deodorant. I use to use anti-perspirant but it clogged up my arm pits and also I would have to scrub the residue off when I showered. The deodorant works just as good for me. However, I do not have a body odor issue or problem nor do I sweat much.

I used to have a residue problem way back when I started using Anti-persperant Solid (on my t-shirts).. but in the past 10 years or so I haven't had any problem at all. No clumps or no buildup on my shirts either. Maybe they've change the formulation somewhat over the years. Another thing is, I don't have to use very much at all, which definately helps with the residue problem.

-Mason

For some reason, if I use anti-perspirant for an extended period, it leaves stains in my shirts. EW! So I just use deoderant.

==Tom

In your case, then yes, definitely! But for the average person without an allergy or irritation, you wouldn't have a problem, at least not to my limited knowledge.:wink:

Many people can tolerate AP’s, but here is what can happen. Block the apocrine sweat glands with AP’s and some people will develop an infection. Everyone has bacteria growing on their skin especially inside the hair follicles which is where the apocrine sweat glands empty into. Block the glands and bacteria can multiply and elicit an immune response from the body resulting in inflammation. Sometimes it is so severe that abscesses (pus pockets) are formed and must be surgically drained.

Many people can tolerate AP’s, but here is what can happen. Block the apocrine sweat glands with AP’s and some people will develop an infection. Everyone has bacteria growing on their skin especially inside the hair follicles which is where the apocrine sweat glands empty into. Block the glands and bacteria can multiply and elicit an immune response from the body resulting in inflammation. Sometimes it is so severe that abscesses (pus pockets) are formed and must be surgically drained.

EW!

==Tom

Deodorant is not as easy to find as anti-perspirant.

Man are you right about that! I usually use Burt's Bees Rosemary Sage (it's a pump spray and I like it very much!) but a few weeks ago I was in a Wal-K-Tar-Mart(?) and wondered what the current offerings in deoderant were. There wasn't a single one. I was pretty amazed.

Anyway BB deoderant for me.

Ken

That aluminum/Alzheimer's link has been pretty well disproved.

I heard that too, however there are conflicting opinions. I'll give you a disturbing example. In a certain wee village in England not so long ago, someone accidently ditched some aluminium effluent into the local water suppy. Within a few years, a number of people, even young, had contracted Alzheimer's. One of them was a woman about in her thirties who didn't drink the water like the others did (those who did said it tasted bad), but simply had a bath. She recalled that it had a funny colour. Now she has Alzheimers at a ridiculously young age. Their story was just one from that particular village, covered in a national British newspaper over a year ago.

All this deodorant talk reminds me of when a friend in college was sent an off brand deodorant from his mother. The funny thing about this stuff was it made him smell like beer after a few hours, which I found hilarious.

Deodorant only here. Burt's Bees Herbal Deodorant. The active ingredient in it is sage oil, which really does work. A bottle of that stuff lasts me more than a year.

I recently saw Mama Bear's post about using an alum block as a natural deodorant. I have the same problem with others using anti-perspirant in that it gives me some itchiness, and am wondering if alum is a good alternative. Anyone else tried this?

I've used KMF Liquid Rock for several years. very effective and cheap.
I can't use AP as they irritate the @#$% out of my underarms to the degree of severe pain. For a Deoderant that is not alum salts I use L'O Bavx.
The block alum will tend to collect oder unless you rinse it off after each use.

When I was about 60, I had a reaction to the normal spray deoderants. I read about some type of crystal. It turned out to be alum. I've used it ever since.

I heard that too, however there are conflicting opinions. I'll give you a disturbing example. In a certain wee village in England not so long ago, someone accidently ditched some aluminium effluent into the local water suppy. Within a few years, a number of people, even young, had contracted Alzheimer's. One of them was a woman about in her thirties who didn't drink the water like the others did (those who did said it tasted bad), but simply had a bath. She recalled that it had a funny colour. Now she has Alzheimers at a ridiculously young age. Their story was just one from that particular village, covered in a national British newspaper over a year ago.

That's a sad story, to be sure, but I'm left wondering if the alluminum in anti-perspirant is in a different chemical compound as that which has been known to cause Alzheimer's. I'm not a chemist (my brother is, though...I should ask him), but it seems logical to me that this could be the case. Why aren't we raking alum blocks over the coals, you know?

Top Bottom