What's new

December 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - quick two pass shave today for a CCS. I'll be shaving tomorrow night so I'm not looking scruffy for Mass on Sunday, but then holding off until a barber visit on Tuesday.

Pre-shave: Warm shower + Stirling Hot Apple Cider shampoo bar
Lather: Stirling Christmas Eve
Brush: WCS Lantern Badger
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless (2)
Aftershave: Cold water, Stirling Christmas Eve A/S splash
Fragrance: Proraso Wood & Spice

Wonderful smells this morning!

Still in

Starting to appreciate the Chubby 2 Manchurian a bit more. This isn’t a brush for gentle painting strokes. You really need to mash it to get the best out of it.

39E5A9E8-7609-4994-8597-ECC001B6F8B2.jpeg

Still on the wagon

Today is four weeks without a drink. If I go another day it will be a personal best. Feeling good.

An expenses paid pub lunch for work threatened to derail me yesterday but I sucked a few of these bad boys back instead. Not too bad actually and the afternoon was far more productive.

Cheers!

5A26EB95-F1D9-49E5-8F0E-97451A0FDC73.jpeg

Day 3 no shave, just a tad of Nivea daily skin and stubble balm this morning.

It was time for a bit of tiding up this evening in the bathroom. For must of you that would be a foot note in your list of shaving gear, for me this is everything not on tap currently , enough soap for 9 to 12 month I would guess, enough after shave balm for 6 month and enough blades for 4 month, 4 razors and 1 extra brush.

I'll do my best to not buy a new soap until 2 are used up and will replace after shave 1 for 1 ... next purchase in April or so ...

IMG-9116.jpg

Still on the wagon

Today is four weeks without a drink. If I go another day it will be a personal best. Feeling good.

An expenses paid pub lunch for work threatened to derail me yesterday but I sucked a few of these bad boys back instead. Not too bad actually and the afternoon was far more productive.

Cheers!

View attachment 1372493
keep up at it man, the first few weeks are the hardest, I had to cut back on alcohol a few years back for medical reason , after a few weeks it became a walk in the park ... the last one to not get it is my 80 + yo father in law ... of well a diluted G&T not touch always do the trick for him...

Day 3, 9.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Revisited the open comb Game Changer. I shouldn't have done two XTG passes with this, because one would have done the job, with less irritation.

Good close result, with marks off for over-shaving.

Still in.

Gillette Fatboy adjustable
Wilkinson Sword vintage (made in England) day 5
Simpsons Chubby 2 Best
SV Manna di Sicilia Soap and AS

A good shave to cap off the week. I started a new job this week and went into the office a couple of times and went with reliable DE shave. The vintage English Wilkinson blades last for me ages and cut very close with no irritation.

SOTD - DFS and a complete failure to report.
My goal for this month was to work through my fixed shopping list and don’t succumb to impulse buys…
Shopping list item No.2 were some Palmolive sticks alas I couldn’t find any so I started looking for other sources than ebay. In the end I found a shop that had the new formula Floid for 16.something and one remaining PAA Phantom Aerolite :letterk1:
So I did some classic treewhaling, no sense to sugar it. As a result I will refrain from buying a stainless steel razor for Christmas.
2627C329-9125-4DEB-B3D4-DEB1F13B4C4F.jpeg
F9E5EDBF-9846-47C6-8918-B3F8AC6BFC2B.jpeg

My goal for this month was to work through my fixed shopping list and don’t succumb to impulse buys…
Shopping list item No.2 were some Palmolive sticks alas I couldn’t find any so I started looking for other sources than ebay. In the end I found a shop that had the new formula Floid for 16.something and one remaining PAA Phantom Aerolite :letterk1:
So I did some classic treewhaling, no sense to sugar it. As a result I will refrain from buying a stainless steel razor for Christmas.View attachment 1372729View attachment 1372730
Nice treewhaling! If you are going to go, go big :thumbup1:

Still in and had a great shave this AM.

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM PTFE (1)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Omega 10290 Boar
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I was getting ready to change blades in my Schick when I decided to switch it up. Today was my 1st shave not using a Schick injector in quite sometime and the Clog Pruf came through for me.
Hope everyone has a great shave and enjoy the Weekend folks!

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM PTFE (1)
Omega 10290 Boar
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I was getting ready to change blades in my Schick when I decided to switch it up. Today was my 1st shave not using a Schick injector in quite sometime and the Clog Pruf came through for me.
Well, there is always a method to the madness…
Forget the 1,000ml Varon Dandy, this is a Body Splash and not shave related. The Gillette Stainless is discontinued and was a recommendation by @ivan_101 as were the Supermax which were heavily discounted (11.50 for 200). Floid and the Phantom were a clear want not a need and the L5 and travel tube were just an add-on for free shipping.

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM PTFE (1)
Omega 10290 Boar
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I gotta say I am always impress by the number fo shave you get out of your blade ... truly amazing to me

Still in

Traveling to visit with my grandson. Recently turned 3 and is so much fun.

72 hour dwell
Hot shower
Trader Joe’s Honey Mango
Feather Popular
Derby Extra (1)
Lather & Wood Sandalwood ASB

Comfortable but not super close shave as expected with this travel kit. Certainly good enough for a Saturday!

Peace

So I did some classic treewhaling, no sense to sugar it. As a result I will refrain from buying a stainless steel razor for Christmas.View attachment 1372729View attachment 1372730
Well at least we left that store without any more Phantom brushes and Gillette Stainless. :lol:

Still in. Yesterday's shave - timeless SS OC Scallop cap, same feather blade as last month (last shave for this one), Rubberset 400-3 for DecemBOAR, MWF, Floid MV A/S.

pic below shows the 4 boar brushes I'll be using this month and the 2 brushes (Paladin Vesuvius and B&B 2020 Contributors Brush by Rudy Vey) that I used for last months GRUME.

DCBEC0A0-D516-4582-AB98-C3EDAFCE9274.jpeg

Day 4

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso Blue
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso Blue
Razor : Merkur 34 HD
Blade : Voshkod (1)

2nd shave of the month, a bit too much post shave irritation to my taste. The first pass was just one of the best ever though.

IMG-9118.jpg

Still in
Tonight’s shave
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Astra Blue (1)
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Post shave: Alum Block
D R HARRIS Windsor AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Molton Brown Bhushukan EDT

Regulation BBS shave. No nicks, cuts or weepers. Technique must be improving
The Bhushukan EDT finished off the shave and complemented it brilliantly 😎😎😎😎
On to the next shave 👍

Time to make this 12 for 12 and finish out the sabbatical while I’m at it! Good luck gents!
1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
15) La Malice (Decemboar)
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20) Tomo
21) Cafebarian
22) Dodger59
23) Roedeer
24) Jmp63 - GRUYERE

Still in

Artica Barbieria mondial pre-shave oil
Ralf Aust 5/8 french point
Martin de Candre Original
Simpsons Classic 2 Best
Saponificio Vareso Tundra Artica aftershave

A nice Sunday morning shave. The Classic 2 I haven't used in a while. It's a decent scrubby little brush, but I find it needs a lot of work to get a usable lather with MDC.

Day 4, 12.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Back to the safety bar Game Changer. This is my favourite for everyday use. It's like the Rockwell R4 or R5, but more agile. BBS face, and 9.5 out of 10 for a smooth and non-irritated neck.

Shopping list item No.2 were some Palmolive sticks alas I couldn’t find any so I started looking for other sources than ebay.

Impressive treewhaling bout there, Multum in parvo. 🐳

When I bought 10 Palmolive sticks earlier in the year, I thought I was over-reacting (Backup Disorder), but they appear to be extinct now.

Some artisan should do an authentically scented and coloured tribute soap.

Still in.

Nice to get through a weekend without the YOLO/FOMO pressure of Black Friday discounts on limited edition handle brushes.

Artica Barbieria Mondial preshave oil
Wilkinson Sword 3-stripe Made in England blade(6)
Wolfman WR2 1.45 OC
Simpsons Duke 3 manchurian
Martin de Candre Original
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica AS

Top Bottom