What's new

Decanting Experiment

Will decanting to a glass bottle make a difference?

• Yes!

• Not a chance, but it looks better.

• I have no idea. I will watch this thread to find out.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Oh sure there are lots for sale, just none that a po' boy can afford. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right listings.
TriggerMan:
I 'feel you' man...best of good luck and good hunting in your search. :thumbsup:

$Ebay Bidding.jpg"[Ebay] may be an auction for [the masses, but for some]...it's a lottery". David Mitchell

Last edited:
I am a glass convert, so I can't wait to see the results of everybody's experiments to see if they match my experiences. I had ordered some hot sauce bottles a few weeks ago on Amazon and finally had time to fill them this evening. I plan to uncap them occasionally over the next month or two to let them breathe. I really enjoy all the colors but will be printing some labels soon. I also included a pic of some old Aqua Velva bottles that hold Aqua Velva and my Bootlegger blends.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I have transferred everything now into beer bottles with golf tee stoppers. Getting them rinsed was the only real difficulty. They fit better on my shelf because of the uniformity of size. Those ground glass lab containers are talking to me though. I still prefer my homebrew solution. I've not tried to re-use a twist off cap yet.

UPDATE!
After 10 days of the experiment, it was time for the first sniff test.
To make this more subjective, I decided that I would employ the members of my family. I have not told them why they are sniffing each bottle, that they are the same AS, or that I am keeping track of the results.
The first sniffer was myself, then my two daughters. I did not reveal my sniffing experience with my daughters. I also made them sniff in separate rooms so they couldn't influence each other's findings (I got the "Dads being weird again!" look from the oldest).
I have to say that going into this, I wasn't expecting any difference this early.

My findings:
To my surprise, the decanted AS smelled more evenly toned. It seemed more evenly blended if that makes any sense. It also smelled stronger, but not harshly stronger. The AS in the plastic bottle seemed weaker, and as you took a deep whiff, you could definitely smell different fragrances. It seemed more "chemical" than the glass bottle. Overall, the glass bottle smelled more pleasant.

Oldest Daughters Findings:
She found the glass bottle to be better smelling. She also found the plastic bottle to be a weaker scent. She said that I should wear the one that smelled better.

Youngest Daughters Findings
:
This daughter said she liked the smell of the glass bottle better. She said it was better smelling than the other one... but she likes the plastic bottle better because it had a neat sticker on it. (the mind of a 7 year old...)

There you have it. After just 10 days, there is a definite difference between the two. I wouldn't have guessed there would be any change in such a short span of time.
I will conduct another test in 7-10 days. I think this time though, it will be a blindfold test.
Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

After reading this thread, I realize that I have some recently acquired Florida Water that needs to be transferred.

I am a glass convert, so I can't wait to see the results of everybody's experiments to see if they match my experiences. I had ordered some hot sauce bottles a few weeks ago on Amazon and finally had time to fill them this evening. I plan to uncap them occasionally over the next month or two to let them breathe. I really enjoy all the colors but will be printing some labels soon. I also included a pic of some old Aqua Velva bottles that hold Aqua Velva and my Bootlegger blends.

View attachment 647738

View attachment 647739

Man those colors are hypnotic.

The type of bottle that the aftershave is stored in has a lot to do with it's need for decanting. Aqua Velva's plastic is completely different from Pinaud's plastic.

If you put hot water in a Pinaud bottle the plastic will start giving off a skunky smell just from the hot water (yes, it was thoroughly rinsed out first). That alone tells you that you need to decant your Pinaud AS at the very least. The heat is just speeding up what will naturally occur over time. The plastic IS skunking your AS.

When I am transferring my labels from the plastic to glass bottles, the heat actually warps the plastic, and turns it from clear to translucent. Not a quality plastic for use in storing AS.

I've seen none of the above issues from an Aqua Velva bottle, and I actually smell no difference between plastic and decanted AV.

The type of bottle that the aftershave is stored in has a lot to do with it's need for decanting. Aqua Velva's plastic is completely different from Pinaud's plastic.

If you put hot water in a Pinaud bottle the plastic will start giving off a skunky smell just from the hot water (yes, it was thoroughly rinsed out first). That alone tells you that you need to decant your Pinaud AS at the very least. The heat is just speeding up what will naturally occur over time. The plastic IS skunking your AS.

When I am transferring my labels from the plastic to glass bottles, the heat actually warps the plastic, and turns it from clear to translucent. Not a quality plastic for use in storing AS.

I've seen none of the above issues from an Aqua Velva bottle, and I actually smell no difference between plastic and decanted AV.
+1

Not to totally threadjack, but does anyone have any favorite bottles they would like to recommend from Amazon? I'm in the market for a few bottles. Thanks in advance!

[MENTION=34575]Dave in the basement[/MENTION] - The description on the bottles I posted above was "Hot Sauce Clear Glass Dasher Bottle, 5oz".

Update:

On Sunday, April 10th I did another "sniff test". This time I did it a little different.
I had my wife close her eyes and I held the bottles and had her sniff each bottle. When she was finished, I had her take the bottles and I closed my eyes and sniffed.
The conclusions were exactly the same. We both found the AS in the glass bottle to smell better. We both found the glass bottle to be stronger smelling. We both found that the plastic bottle smelled more like chemicals. We both found the glass bottle to have a more "even" scent, meaning that during a deep inhale, the plastic bottle seemed to have several different scents, including "chemical" scents whereas the glass bottle just had the AS scent.

Note: I was not able to note any change from the last test. I was not able to detect any change in power or scent, other than the noted differences.

Top Bottom