What's new

Decanting Experiment

Will decanting to a glass bottle make a difference?

• Yes!

• Not a chance, but it looks better.

• I have no idea. I will watch this thread to find out.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
TriggerMan:
I have 'vintage' Pinaud Club Royale (a citrus, a hint of leather, a dash of spice with surprising light 'powder' note), Naturelle Sec (a 'lemony-baby fresh' scent), and Fleur de France (Flower of France w/a distinctive 'roses, roses, roses' basenote), and after decanting them in vintage Pinaud glass bottles...I don't detect any 'skunkiness' and I believe decanting improves the overall product vs. plastic. :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp] “Shaving with style and tradition since 1810”. Pinaud Slogan[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm subscribing too. I have done this experiment with Clubman, Special Reserve and Lilac Vegtal. Clubman I noticed the least difference, but there is one. In the Veg and SR there is a marked calming in the scent between the glass and plastic. There's a bitter odor in the plastic on both SR and Veg that isn't present in the glass. The SR glass scent is far lighter than it's plastic component. The Veg has a much more wetland floral scent than the plastic.

Do you think the previous contents of the glass bottle makes much difference? I wonder if some of the people who say they notice a difference are actually just smelling a bit of residue from the old stuff. I bought a few new bottles and washed them in the dishwasher, but haven't used them yet. I'd like to find some vintage AS bottles, but I feel like I'd need to clean them out well.

Do you think the previous contents of the glass bottle makes much difference? I wonder if some of the people who say they notice a difference are actually just smelling a bit of residue from the old stuff. I bought a few new bottles and washed them in the dishwasher, but haven't used them yet. I'd like to find some vintage AS bottles, but I feel like I'd need to clean them out well.
I can't speak for others, but I can tell you for certain that there was zero remaining scent in my bottle.

I have read several posts from members that have decanted their AS (mainly Pinaud products) from the original plastic bottle into a glass container. They claim that the smell of the aftershave gets better once it's been in a glass container for a while. It's not that I don't believe them... but I am from "The Show Me State".
So, I have decided to do a little experiment to find out the answer for myself.
I received a bottle of Clubman Vanilla yesterday. I decanted most of it into a glass AS bottle that I found at an antique mall for $1. The remainder is still in the plastic Pinaud bottle. I marked the plastic bottle with today's date.
I will sniff each of them, both in the bottle and on the skin, once every week for what is now, an undetermined amount of weeks.
Will the glass bottle help make the AS smell better?
Only time will tell.

View attachment 646677
Well I done it for years and as my Late HS Chemistry Teacher said. Notice in all labs Chemicals are stored in Glass , So should your after shave and perfumes be in Glass since they are Chemical compounds.

Well, I like experiments, too, so I subscribed to this thread.

My worry is that it will take month or even years.. I'm already 65 and a half... how long will I have to wait?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
...my worry is that it will take month or even years.. I'm already 65 and a half... How long will i have to wait?
ykmv:
Well...as you know with the popular proverb ...[FONT=&amp]"Good things come to those who wait”.
attachment.php

proxy.php
"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on what we're waiting for". Charles Stanley[/FONT]

Last edited:
I decanted the Veg into a glass bottle and noticed a difference after about one week. Still didn't care for the scent but it did improve to my nose. Also I left some space in the glass bottle and gave it a good shake before opening to aerate it, not sure if that helped it mellow out or not.

here is a quick test for you all get 2 bottles of beer and a glass glass and a plastic glass empty the glass bottles into the plastic and glass glass leave to stand 15 mins then drink the contents and see if you can taste the plastic in the drink from the plastic glass there you have it all in a nutshell

I have never yet seen beer in a plastic bottle all ways a glass bottle

Here is mine done a month before this poll

$DSCF0090.jpg

and yes its a pinaud glass bottle and it looks better with AS in it

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Temperature may be another unknown.

I think the reason my bottle of Veg is so skunky is that it sat in my mailbox all afternoon in August ... In Florida. It had to have been 140 degrees.

Ive since put in glass, and shake the bottle sometimes to aerate it, then open the bottle to air it.

So far, it still smells like the Veg, but I have hope.

AA

I took a beer bottle and punched a hole in the top the size of a golf tee. And voila! it turned out an old-spice stopper fit in the hole too!
$IMG_1368.jpg$IMG_1369.jpg

Top Bottom