What's new

D-Day -1

Thanks to the generous PIF from Obiwan, my journey into straights begins tomorrow. I received his razor a couple of days ago and had Larry's Poor Man's strop kit waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home today. I've done the research and monitored the appropriate threads so now it's go time. Any sage wisdom from the vets? Inputs from the Newb's are appreciated as well. My one question though is about lather. Do I shoot for the same consistency as with a DE? I was war-gaming this earlier and thought maybe I would keep it a little thinner. Tomorrow goal is two passes. One WTG and the other XTG. Touch up only as needed to even things out. My primary objective is SAS, but the option to fall back into the loving arms of my DE's remains. A new journal is set to begin as per the PIF agreement. Thanks again to Obiwan.

He is a very generous man! I make my lather the same for straight as I did for DE but I know some people make it a little thinner

Bonus Question- What soap to use? I've narrowed it down to MWF, Cella & Williams. Williams mostly in honor of Seraphim's epic conversion.

strop

Now half as wise
I've been using straights about 9 weeks now. Clearly starting to get really good shaves with just the straight. Don't be tentative. I tried to adjust angle, and creep along after touching blade to face. Bad idea. I think the sensation that the razor is dull the first time out (I kinda thought that, but knew I had a shave ready razor from Larry) is due to the fact that it needs just a little momentum. Start the razor moving at the same time or a fraction before it touches your face. Even if it's too flat at first, you can always adjust the angle but keep the razor moving. I found shorter strokes better for me.

I would describe my change in lather as wetter rather than thinner. To me saying you made it thinner implies that one might need to use less soap or cream than usual. I "thought" I made good lather when I was using the DE. Now I make good lather, and using it with the DE on those days I'm rushed makes that even better. I have used Williams, and even used it with the straight. Please don't use it for your first straight shave. Just too hard to get it to stay wet enough, long enough. Lather is not what you want to be worrying about the first time that cold bare steel touches your face.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
+1 to the wetter lather. I think the pursuit of thick whipped cream lather is actually detrimental to a good shave- lets keep
that between us straight shavers. I dont want to upset our safety razor brethren. :)

Welcome to the front lines of real shaving Charlie Foxtrot. The battle now will be waged in your head. It's true straight razor shavers do not use thick pillowy piles of poof some safety razor wet shavers call lather, and the reason is you are now using a shaving tool w/o the benefit of a blade guard. Think about it, with a typical DE razor you have a bar in front of the blade, so no problems dropping that anchor on your face (through a thick glob of cream), it isn't going to cut any skin when the bar strikes first, so you don't need to see where that tool is heading. Back the truck up and dump the lather on my safety razor brethern

So STR8 razor shavers apply a thinner lather...thin as in not as tall, short of height, not neccesary a higher ratio of water, yet there are wet shaving STR8 razor shavers that use a waterier lather. What's important is you apply a lather that will provide protection for your skin yet at the same time you can see where the razor will touch your skin when you first put down, and where it travels untill you lift the blade from your face

Out of the three soaps you mentioned, Cella is my favorite, but virtually any shave soap should work for you. The only soaps I can't use are the ones that burn my skin (GFT Rose off the top of my head). As far as words of wisdom that I could offer, take your time learning this method (straight razor shaving), watch some videos if you think that could help. One that is often recommended here was done by one of our members on his 30th anniversary using a STR8 razor (Chimensch) http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ight=chimensch+30th+anniversary+shaving+video If you follow the thread for a ways, Chimensch puts up a link to a shaving video he found helpful. Load it and watch it, and pay attention to the part where the instructor (it's a shave school (barber) video) demonstrates the scything technique. You'll have your hands full learning a lot of new moves but that one technique (scything) will really get your blade to do the work for you. Above all, have fun with your new hobby

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom