What's new

D-Day +1 for a Newbie

Your doing fine and have a great outlook on it, you will be up to speed in no time. Everyone struggles with lather, you just get a feel for when to add more or less product/water, start less and build up both.

Welcome to B&B! No blood the first time around? You're a superstar! Closeness will come. If you felt like it wasn't all that close but didn't end up with irritation from touch ups, you already show more restraint than [cough] some people around here.

Excellent first effort. I did the opposite and insisted on getting BBS with the result that I lost a lot of skin and couldn't shave again for 3 or 4 days. If your getting an SAS with no irritation I would be more than happy with that.

strop

Now half as wise
Lather issues frequently can be traced back to the old "not enough product" adage. Seriuosly,though, one can always add a little more water. If you show us a picture someone here can diagnose tge problem.

The chin area is a hard one to keep the anglr consistent, but will come with practice. You are off to a good start!

Excellent report on your first shave, you did better than I did!
Excellent advice above, just stick with it, and enjoy!

Sounds like a great start! As has been said, closeness will come. Keep an eye on the angle as you progress.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions...Shave #2 on Monday morning was successful as well! Thank you, dlaroe- I decided to have a go with "Marco's Face Lathering" procedure- and found it to be very successful (and quite messy!) for me. I think it also showed me that my first lather effort needed a good deal more water. I was able to get much more slickness and comfort with the face lathering- so will have another go this morning. Having shaved 2 days before- I was able to get a pretty close shave- and spent the rest of the day finding spots that I hadn't covered very well. I definitely learned that I need to give myself more time to shave before work- I sort of rushed and didn't do a very thorough job. I may stick with the face lathering during the week here- and then have another serious go at the bowl when I have more time on the weekend...

Once again- thanks to all- this has been a great experience. I am hooked on DE shaving and look forward to more reading, practicing, improving- then checking out more of the products available once I get a bit more confident. I will definitely share as I go- and be back for more help from the great crew here...cheers!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions...Shave #2 on Monday morning was successful as well! Thank you, dlaroe- I decided to have a go with "Marco's Face Lathering" procedure- and found it to be very successful (and quite messy!) for me. I think it also showed me that my first lather effort needed a good deal more water. I was able to get much more slickness and comfort with the face lathering- so will have another go this morning. Having shaved 2 days before- I was able to get a pretty close shave- and spent the rest of the day finding spots that I hadn't covered very well. I definitely learned that I need to give myself more time to shave before work- I sort of rushed and didn't do a very thorough job. I may stick with the face lathering during the week here- and then have another serious go at the bowl when I have more time on the weekend...

Once again- thanks to all- this has been a great experience. I am hooked on DE shaving and look forward to more reading, practicing, improving- then checking out more of the products available once I get a bit more confident. I will definitely share as I go- and be back for more help from the great crew here...cheers!

Taking your time is vital to a great shave result. You are not using a disposable Cart which you can use to shave fast since it only scrape off the hairs not cut them.

Thanks, alex2363- that is good advice- I've clearly been rushing on the weekday shaves. My first 3 shaves went pretty well- varying success with lather, but comfortable and enjoyable. I was starting to feel a bit of tugging with the Astra SP late in Shave #3, so popped in a new blade for #4 on Wednesday. I'm not sure what the deal was- maybe thin, unprotecting lather? getting too aggressive with the blade angle? Shave #4 went fine during the process- but afterwards and through the day I had a mildly uncomfortable 'burn' feeling on the face. It was significant enough that I gave myself Thursday and today off from the blade.

I was also thinking- when was the last time that I shaved 4 times in 5 days?? I don't recall ever having done that...could it be that my face is just reacting to the new shaving style and frequency? Saturday morning I'm off to the best "real deal" "old school" barbershop in downtown Indy- "Red's Barber Shop" for a haircut (check them out if you're ever in Naptown- you'll love the joint)- then I'll come home and take my time with a shave.

*Oh, and I now have a Maggards MR3 on order- the model I've been coveting these last couple weeks as they were out of stock- can't wait to give it a spin next week! I've also got a sample pack of different blades coming- to see if I can find a few that really work for me down the road- after I get more comfortable with my DE shaving. Lords, Feathers, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, Gillette Silver Blue and several others...I'll stick with my Astra SP blades for now- trying to just focus on the basics- and taking my time...

Thanks, as always, Gentlemen!

Thanks, alex2363- that is good advice- I've clearly been rushing on the weekday shaves. My first 3 shaves went pretty well- varying success with lather, but comfortable and enjoyable. I was starting to feel a bit of tugging with the Astra SP late in Shave #3, so popped in a new blade for #4 on Wednesday. I'm not sure what the deal was- maybe thin, unprotecting lather? getting too aggressive with the blade angle? Shave #4 went fine during the process- but afterwards and through the day I had a mildly uncomfortable 'burn' feeling on the face. It was significant enough that I gave myself Thursday and today off from the blade.

I was also thinking- when was the last time that I shaved 4 times in 5 days?? I don't recall ever having done that...could it be that my face is just reacting to the new shaving style and frequency? Saturday morning I'm off to the best "real deal" "old school" barbershop in downtown Indy- "Red's Barber Shop" for a haircut (check them out if you're ever in Naptown- you'll love the joint)- then I'll come home and take my time with a shave.

*Oh, and I now have a Maggards MR3 on order- the model I've been coveting these last couple weeks as they were out of stock- can't wait to give it a spin next week! I've also got a sample pack of different blades coming- to see if I can find a few that really work for me down the road- after I get more comfortable with my DE shaving. Lords, Feathers, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, Gillette Silver Blue and several others...I'll stick with my Astra SP blades for now- trying to just focus on the basics- and taking my time...

Thanks, as always, Gentlemen!
Yes, it's adjusting to the sharp blade edge.
Keep us updated on your Maggard razor and blade pack.

Top Bottom